Personal View site logo
The Definitive Hackintosh topic
  • 359 Replies sorted by
  • I am considering to buy a used hackintosh which the owner says has a geekbench score of 11716 (see here for actual test results http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench2/compare/1569174/1569174 ). I am still waiting to hear what graphics card it has. Is this a decent score? Can anyone give an example of how fast a video could be rendered? For example, a 3 minute, 1080/24p video with no color correction using Sanity 4? I don't have a clue.

• The Thunderbolt build went amazingly error free - all working a charm and OC to a stable 4.8 Ghz and vv quiet. Thunderbolt USB3 and Firewire working. Pro Tools HD/HDX cards, Apogee Symphony and UAD Quad tested and working also.

Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UP5 Intel Core i7 3770K,1155, Ivy Bridge, Quad Core, 3.5GHz Corsair Hydro Series H60 2013 Edition High-performance CPU Cooler Nanoxia Deep Silence One Black Ultimate Low Noise PC Case 32 GB Corsair DDR3 Vengeance Low Profile Jet Black, PC3-12800 680W be quiet! Straight Power E9 CM BN199 PSU 240GB Sandisk Extreme, 2.5" SSD, SATA III - 6Gb/s, Read 550MB/s, Write 520MB/s 2 x 3TB WD WD30EZRX Caviar Green SATA 6GB/s 2GB Gigabyte GTX 660 Ti OC Windforce 2X, 28nm, 6008MHz GDDR5 (GPU Cooler installed) TL-WDN4800 450Mbps Wireless N Dual Band PCI Express Adapter OSX Mountain Lion 10.8.2

No DSDT needed - easiest build yet.

Looks like Gigabyte going to benefit from Apple Vs Intel re:Thunderbolt on MacPro argument for a while yet!

• Hi fellow h4xOrz,
    There's talk on the tonymacx86 forum of making a Premiere benchmark for testing our hackpro's. Perhaps some of you find this interesting and would like to chime in. It starts around page 11 of this thread: http://www.tonymacx86.com/buying-advice/81648-hack-pro-4k-film-editing-vfx-12.html#post536476

• Been pretty happy with my z77 3770k build. Things a beast. No issues with sleep or USB 3

• Building a Gigabyte based Thunderbolt one this afternoon - Ill post results when done.

• same as @Tommyboy - it was tough deciding between thunderbolt and the 3930k, but I decided to go with the x79 as well. Thunderbolt adoption has been slow and peripherals are still pretty expensive ($40 for a 1m cable?!). USB 3 looks more promising although enabling USB 3 requires some extra steps on the ASUS boards and there are some sleep issues as well.

• Hi I'm using a UD5 Mobo and intel I7 with OSX leopard and Snow leopard since aroud 5 years ,It's still working with windows XP/7 and Linux ,For the install instructions I followed the tutorial on the insanely mac forum (look in the génius bar for tutorials) http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/ For booting every one I simply install each system on indépendant hard drives and use the GRUB bootloader of Linux to redirect on each drive for booting the selected hard drive

• I'm actually in the process of building mine as well as soon as all the parts arrive. My system will be based on Asus Rampage Extreme motherboard, Intel Core i7-3930K Hexa-Core Processor and Asus GTX 680 video card. My biggest decision point was the choice of the chipset z77 (thunderbolt) vs x79 and since USB 3 looks very attractive at this point http://www.theverge.com/2013/1/6/3843944/usb-3-spec-update-coming-max-data-speeds-10gbps I went with LGA 2011 socket.

• @shian - Get it! Never going back.

• Welcome to the 5000€ cheaper darkside of Apple

• that's it, I'm building one. My next Mac will be a hackintosh.

• @hunter - smart move.

Completely agree with @matthewcarr and @dtr

Currently posting this, while grading in DaVinci, exporting from Media Encoder, running downloads from a Torrent client, working in Photoshop and encoding MTS. What a beast.

• @matthewcarr that's exactly my feeling after a year and a bit of hackintoshing!

• @artiswar -- That's really close to the machine that I just built last week, except I'm using an ASUS P8Z77-V Pro/Thunderbolt board (anticipating the BMCC workflow once I get one). Also cost around $1800. Uh-maze-ing.

• My hackintosh has been up and stable for about 6 months now. There is definitely a learning curve when it comes to getting it running perfect and when performing OS upgrades. In some ways a hackintosh is similar to a GH2 in that regard. It is 100% worth the hardship if you need to save money and value top of the line performance. It can be frustrating at first but very satisfying in the end. Make sure you have a laptop or second computer and follow guides closely. If something is not working check another thread for possible solutions. Above all, take your time and don't panic.

• @shian - Dopest dope I've ever smoked. Seriously, this machine puts some Mac Pros to shame. Well worth the investment. Live 3.5k with curves, levels, etc with Cuda? Yes please.

• Hey Jesse, what'd you spend total on the whole system? [edit] Nevermind, I just saw the $1800 figure. NICE

• I run Adobe CS6, MediaComposer 6.5, FCPX and DaVinci Resolve Lite.

• @kodakmoment - That would be dollars. I'm running the newest Mountain Lion and running DaVinci Resolve, Adobe CS, and even Borderlands 2 at maximum settings!

I had some issues with the 3.5 jacks on the MOBO so if you don't want fuss with that, pick up a recommended sound card. I have to re-kext at upgrades for the sound on the MOBO and when I first installed the OS. The power and savings is incredibly worth it. Remember, if you don't need a monitor, those components are only $1400

• @artiswar Thanks for the link! 1800 € or $, which OSX and programs are you running with it and how well? And did you experience any software upgrade problems?

• @rheinpirat Thanks for the info. Which programs are you running on your mac pro?

• @kodakmoment - this build http://personal-view.com/talks/discussion/comment/80441#Comment_80441 cost me about 1800 including an ebay IPS monitor. Definitely something to consider.

• I´ve upgraded my mac pro 1,1 octocore 2,66 ghz (!) with an gtx 570 and a SSD. Works pretty well!

• Hi all, I need some advice whether to keep my old mac pro or build a Hackintosh. I need a computer powerful enough for handling BMCC RAW footage, edit in FCPX and grade in Resolve. The system that I currently have is:

Mac Pro, 2 Xeon Nehalem Quad Core CPUs at 2.26 GHz, 640GB WD Festplatte (would swap this for a SSD), 12 GB Ram (6x2GB), ATI Radeon HD 4870 GPU with512 MB GDDR5, AirPort card, LaCie PCI e-SATA card with two ports

I could sell this mac pro as is for about 1500 Euros and use the money to build a fast enough Hackintosh. Or I could upgrade the Mac Pro with an SSD and a powerful nvidia GPU which would probably cost me 500 Euros.

What is the better option, performance wise and money wise?

• Damn, just yesterday I ordered my hackintosh parts and a GTX 5XX card :/