Personal View site logo
Non original, not Panasonic charger for GH2
  • my charger for my gh2 stopped working. i know you cant use third party batteries but can i use a third party charger with pansonic batteries? thanks seth

• 4 Replies sorted by
  • Thank you, @kazuo.

This time I'm more concerned about not ruining my original batteries with a non-Panny charger.

• I experienced issues when using third party batteries on GH2. After a while, the 3 party ones confused the camera, so much it ended up not accepting my original batteries! I was getting warning dialogue boxes telling me the GH2 could not recognise the original bats. I think this could have also caused my camera to break down. Got it repaired at Panny HQ, they changed the entire circuit board, cost me $300. Now I just use all original bats.

• Did anybody experience problems (like shorter life) of original Panny batteries if charged with one of those cheap chargers (as sometimes bundled with non-original batteries)?

My original charger stopped working too, but I still have one of those cheap ones around.

• I am travelling light and always use just one universal charger to charge camera, phone and dive light batteries, including the batteries for my GH2.

I use this device: http://www.hama.de/00081350/hama-delta-allround-universal-charger-for-li-ion-batteries-and-aa-aaa-cells (which is sold in Germany starting at 22 €).

Universal chargers like this can charge both original and 3rd party batteries - all the "dongling" that Panasonic implemented to keep away the competition is evaluated by the camera firmware, the "+" and "-" contacts of the batteries are not involved in that.