Personal View site logo
Official GH2 "Stalin" hack development topic
  • 939 Replies sorted by
  • But variable mode does not have a 100% option, only 80, 160, 200, 300. Are you suggesting recording at 80% and then change that to 100% in post-processing? What about the sound?
  • @yosemite
    Sound is not recorded.
  • @Vitaliy_Kiselev

That leads back to my original question: "Is there any effort in making 1080p30 (edit: including sound) available for the GH2?"
  • You sound like a broken record. Use MJPEG patch.
  • @stonebat: I'm not sure I follow but I assume you're saying that 1080p30 is not, and will not, be possible in AVCHD. Is that true, and if so, why? MJPEG is vastly less efficient storage format, isn't it?

Finally, could you point me to a tutorial or any introduction for total beginners into how to hack the GH2 and "use [the] MJPEG patch"? I'm usually quite technologically savvy, but have no clue what you're taking about and find it quite non-straightforward to find this information on this forum.

Thank you very much in advance for your help.
  • @yosemite

Please read camera manual.

And corresponding topics first. We have videos and special topics for beginners.
  • theres a video in one topic , which is a step by step video on youtube, i think its for GH1, but same process. But if youre technologically savvy, it should be enough to visit PTool topic and follow the small instructions.
  • I am a bit lost as to what stage we are at. We seem to be stuck on this AVCHD and getting the sensor settings to output 1080p lol.
  • If it's not a hassle, I think it'd be pretty cool to get regular status updates on where you are with the hack. I actually find the process pretty interesting. If that's not possible then nvm.
  • I have a feature request if this is the right venue. It's a still photography related one, rather than a video one:

I would like an option that, when a flash is connected to the hot shoe, will still allow burst shooting modes and shutter speeds faster than the x-sync speed.

As it is, when a flash is connected (namely a manual flash that only has a center pin, and doesn't do FP sync) the GH2 only allows single-shot mode, even if I know that my flash recycle time is less than the burst frame rate; and the camera caps the shutter speed at 1/160th, even if I don't care about the unflashed band across the image (and believe me, there are perfectly valid reasons to do this in the strobist world).

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1041&message=39049745
  • @klarno

I'll add this to suggestions.
    But still mode improvements are not top priorities (except film modes).
  • As you may know we made good progress with Chris on AVCHD encoder.

Most probably PTool 3.62 will be released within a week as intermediary release allowing to further improve quality.
    I also started to look into film modes, but progress here is slow and this requires time.
  • Im excited for updates! Thanks for all the work!
  • That would be very nice indeed!
    Is there a change log?
  • Sounds good to me.......next we build a shopping mall witha tooth pick lol
  • Great news! Will the update already carry a Hdmi output patch? Or can you already give a estimation, when we can expect it?
  • Looking forward to the update Vitaliy!
  • @misterhu

No.
    As for estimation - I can't provide it.
  • Great news, Vitaly. We are waiting for updates;)
    Thank you for your work.
  • Thanks for the all hard work Vitaly, and all the testers who sped the process up this far.
  • @Vitaliy "Most probably PTool 3.62 will be released within a week as intermediary release allowing to further improve quality."

Is this still looking to hold true? I just received my GH2 and I was going to do some tests on Saturday. Also I want to thank you for your hard work.
  • >Is this still looking to hold true?

Most probably, but first beta version will be release for strike team only.
  • Ok, sounds good. I guess I'll more than likely be testing with 3.61 this weekend then. Thanks.
  • I spend time today on internal changes required by new patches.
    Few things still must be done.
  • Found small bug that caused 24L problems.
    Will be fixed in v3.62.