Personal View site logo
Official Panasonic GH3 topic, series 3
  • 1137 Replies sorted by
  • @EspenB Thanks for the explanation.

• @kicap @olegkalyan Natural setting. Lenses outside daylight 12-35mm X Lens, Internal Boss shots mainly Canon FD 55mm f1.2, OM Zuiko 50mm f2 macro. Tony night shots: Voight 25mm.

• @driftwood

What was the actual setting on the GH3 for your latest video/ short film? Thanks

• driftwood, great film, thank you! very creative!

(for non english speakers some phrases could be not easy to understand when characters speak) A new standard for a camera review! GH3 does have a different look, just a little, from random clips I see here and on vimeo, imho. Less filmic? possibly, but what is "filmic"? hard to distinguish.. Less sharp? it seems so! Footage looks like Olympus E5 (reason, same sensor?) Keeping my GH2 for now, for sure, with 17,5 and 25mm 0.95 no need to shoot at high ISO, I's say higher than 800, which makes is still nearly perfect machine. Buying GH3? possibly, but not excited as couple months ago.

• Vitally, I'm probably running ahead because most of us have only had our new GH3's for less than a week but are there any plans to start a hack yet, and what initial goals are being thrown around?

If I may, I would suggest adding NTSC/PAL switching and high ISO for video (at present mine seems limited to 6400 for video but 25600 for stills)

Add Intra to 50/60P in MOV wrapping as well.

There still seems to be a gamma shift after pushing record in some modes.

Pre production firmware v0:5 DID have NTSC/PAL switching so obviously it's there to activate.

Question, will a hack get a proper start once Panasonic release an initial firmware upgrade?

Please keep up your mighty good work, I will contribute happily again.

• @Kob The mechanical shutter is for still pictures only. What's new is a silent electronic shutter for still images also. This will a diffrerent picture quality and you can not use the flash etc. Still I found the electronic shutter to be a nice feature for time lapses i.e. to avoid excessive wear on the mechanical shutter.

I have beefed up my time lapse done with the GH3 (done using the electronic shutter function):

• All Natural, though some of the scenes were left brightness/contrast treated for the Vimeo trial run as measuring for the final edit appearing this week.

• @driftwood Great film. Just one question regarding your comment on this being ungraded. To me, it looks as you used a SCN mode to shoot this. Is that correct? I'm confused as you are saying this is ungraded. I'm asking this because I assume you would shoot as flat as possible when saying that you plan to grade this later (natural -5, -5, 0, -5). Did you shoot two different versions with the camera?

• @driftwood What a wonderful and creative way to review a camera. Great. Huge. Amazing. congratulations to you and all the team.

• @driftwood You've set a new standard in camera reviews! Good stuff! I'm sold.

• Ahh ok...funny guys..hhehe.

• No mpegstreamclip/Vimeo compression... its a quick upload to show off the new microphone. Editing / Grading will be done and properly tuned to Vimeo for matching later this week.

• Great job @driftwood, this is impressive for such a short time. Im wondering did you use auto focus, your hero certainly loved it. However there is some strange graduation in to the blacks on your cheek, is that on the original to.

• I can't get it to output to 7" Ruige monitor. HDMI out to Atomos Ninja 2 worked fine. Any ideas. Thanks.

• it is normal to see jumps in the video?

• Woww @driftwood that video will start its own life from now on, love it all the way.

• @igorek7 Thanks for the link. I have read it carefully. Since I'm new at video recording, I wonder if people normally use electronic rolling shutter for slow moving scenes and switch over to the mechanical rolling shutter when there are fast items in the frame - all in order to avoid what the reviewer showed with the "leaning" car pic at the bottom of the page.

• http://m43photo.blogspot.de/2012/12/gh3-has-less-rolling-shutter-artifacts.html "The conclusion appears to be that the GH3 has less rolling shutter artefacts during videos, which is certainly good. On the other hand, it has much more rolling shutter artefacts with the electronic shutter. On the other hand, the GH2 had no high resolution electronic shutter at all, so this is still a step in the right direction."

• New video in daylight with the 12-35mm :

• In some shots, Jim Whyte looks like Sam Rockwell and Nick looks like Christopher Lee- is this a new picture profile? ;-)

• WOW NICK grate story keep me listening to the specs from a bad guys.

BEST PART " i can shot without beeing there, think about that frankie, i would never be implied again, officer i didnt shoot the fucker, i was over there. hahahahahahah.

thanks alot.

• Ungraded/unedited/unfinished/untimely...