Personal View site logo
Official Panasonic GH3 topic, series 3
  • 1137 Replies sorted by
  • @VK Thanks for the invite but im neither crying or imagining anything? Thanks though.

Gh3 looks to be a great cam for both stills and video. Moire can be worked around that is true. Still its a pain in the butt sometimes!

• The i frame sizes really aren't that big for any of the 50/72Mbps modes - its all comfortably tuned to high profile 5.0. It would indeed be interesting to see how far it could be pushed internally (processing and memory constrictions of course) but only VK will be able to answer that question. And, if he chooses to. It also could take quite some time. For a lot of situations the GH3 as it is, is a very able camera.

• @cablefreak76 in the OMD-GH3 image comparison i must say i like the look of the shadows better in GH3 but the OMD has in this test much more detail. You said it was shaky, i would, like @adventsam, like to see a tripod comparison so the shaky bit is out of the equation...

• As i said it before, GH3 has more detail, but has problems with lines about 45º. Part of having more detail in capture (sensor wise) is having more moire on colors on prossesing.

Ive been quiet, but seeing all footage. GH3 has moire problems, and also has better DR and better codecs. Trade of. Some hacks may overcome this by fixing matrixes, and improving other aspects of the image prossesing. Better bit rate may not improve detail, as GH3 out of the box is as detailed as GH2 hacked, wich is very compeling for a 2 year model upgrade.

THEY COULDNT MAKE BETTER IMAGE WITHOUT INCREASING BIT RATE, SO THEY CHOOSE BETER SENSOR FOR IT.

This sensor makes moire, but renders good image at lower bitrates.

The real question is. IF GH2 HAD CODECS AND PROSSESOR FROM GH3, WOULD IT BE BETTER?

Hack is a must.

• The OMD vs GH3, hmm, can you make the original raw's available and maybe a few more, of the same image off a tripod or ie guaranteed steady image, as it is the OMD seems some way ahead from this? not just sharpness but detail?

• Compared today footage from my patched GH2 (50i@32Mb/s) with my new GH3 (50p@50Mb/s) side by side. The GH3 footage clearly shows more aliasing artifacts especially with hand held scenes. Used the Pana 14-45@20mm with both cameras.

• @cablefreak76 thanks for the chart test. I agree that the gh3 is better than the gh2 in that test. Did you use any hacks for the gh2? Based on those charts I would say the C100 is the winner, but not 5 times better than the gh3 ;)

keep on coming with tests :)

• @ cablefreak76

thanks. the gh3 image looks quite clean and the gradations, as you mentioned, look particularly smooth.

• @jjj_ri_usa Thanks a lot, man! I'm very flattered by your words. :) @driftwood Thank you! Glad you liked it.

@andrevanberlo Thanks! Yes I think the GH3 works best with sharpness dialed down to -5 and using more refined unsharp mask or similar filtering in post, because the radius is a wee bit too large I think for that filmic "sharp but soft" feeling you will achieve if properly applied in post.

As for the ungoing moiré and aliasing discussion... it has to stop! I have yet to see any evidence of potential issues with moiré from my own GH3 footage from day one with a pre-production unit. The images we've seen with heavy moiré have been processed very poorly in post or using weird settings in camera. I am not concerned at all from what I've seen. I attach some screenshots from chart footage from the GH3 and older one I shot in the GH2 and also some examples from the new Canon C100 which costs about 5 times more. :)

The chart was shot with Natural -5 -4 0 -5 with the GH3. It will be a tad softer with -5 but -4 is pretty good example of the GH3 image. It is extremely well balanced and reminds of the GH2 but better and more controllable! The low contrast at -5 is also very nice.

There's an image comparing the OM-D sensor and GH3 in Lightroom RAW... The GH3 image was a tad shaky but compare the shadow/noise/colour etc. ;) And there's a sample showing a long exposure at ISO3200 and 5 minutes, it's unbelievably clean for an m43 camera. I also attached some grade tests and smooth gradation etc. Very limited time to post so putting out these random files and ideas, hope it gives you some nice input on the shiny new GH3...

Let me know if the attachments don't work, trying to upload from my jailbroken iPad :)

C100_AVCHD_reschart.png
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
    GH2_24p_chart_Zeiss_50_1.4.png
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
    GH3_24p_ALL-I_chart_PanaLeica25_F4_-5-40-5.png
    1920 x 1080 - 3M
    Comparing_C100_C100_graded_ISO400.jpg
    1872 x 1001 - 2M
    Comparing_C100_GH3_graded_ISO400.jpg
    1798 x 983 - 1M
    LowContrast_1_GH3_graded.png
    1920 x 1080 - 3M
    LowContrast_1_GH3_ungraded.png
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
    LowContrast_2_GH3_graded.png
    1920 x 1080 - 3M
    LowContrast_2_GH3_ungraded.png
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
    GH3_vs_OM-D_sensor.png
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
    RAW_ISO3200_5min_LNR.jpg
    2048 x 1365 - 2M
    Screenshot_1080p_1_cinematic_tone.png
    1920 x 1080 - 3M
    Screenshot_1080p_2_gradation.png
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
    Screenshot_1080p_3_shadow_detail.png
    1920 x 1080 - 3M
    Screenshot_1080p_4_highlight_detail.png
    1920 x 1080 - 3M
  • @mimirsan Is it just me in that video by "fotogen" does the 24P AVCHD look the least Moire "ridden" of all the clips? I mean it's still there but far less noticeable, closer to some of the 50P clips. It would be great to see a 24P All-I version of the same shot. Maybe its something with the 24P processing or AVCHD codec?

• "Filmic" & "cinematic" seems to be Visual's equivalent of Audio's "warm" & "analog"

• I just happened upon this site when learning about my new GH3- just from what I've seen so far, I think I'm going to enjoy reading on this site :)

• @ vk thank-you for your creative attention to... well, keeping these forums on task. as a reader/learner, sifting thru chaff can be tiring.

• Ahahaha... not a moment too soon :)

• ^ Hilarious ^

• @L1N3ARX
    @Mimirsan

Guys, specially for you, I made separate topic to discuss full of moire, non organic, absolutely unfilmic and unpleasing GH3 footage that is common for this camera in most cases (c) by me

http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/5360/gh3-pessimists-club-aka-dont-cry-for-me-argentina-2

• Hmm, the more footage I see the more I tend to dislike the GH3. It's sad really, such an amazing camera on paper, with features I REALLY want. But alas, I just don't like the image all that much. It just lacks something organic that the GH2 had.

Wish I could specify what's unappealing about the image, perhaps it's slightly more plastic and artificial looking than the GH2. Whatever it is, I think I'm gonna stick with my GH2 and wait out until that magical day the BMC actually ships.

• This has probably been posted before but anyone experiencing OSX Aperture/iPhoto problems with RAW should download the latest update from Apple which supports the GH3.

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1604?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

*** NEWS *** WI-FI Update for Lumix Link

Confirmation regarding a new update to 'Lumix Link' App is now up on the following page;-

http://panasonic.jp/support/global/cs/dsc/lumixlink/iphone/index.html

http://panasonic.jp/support/global/cs/dsc/lumixlink/android/index.html

Looks like a helluva lot more will be working for GH3 users including 'Video can be recorded with timer setting in remote control.'

I'm guessing this will be ready for the official launch day of the GH3 this tuesday. :-)

• This does not convince me. Little noise, but the video quality seems from a smartphone -probably a bad renderization?-

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev did you already order the GH3 ?

• I have a GH2 and for 2 years I put videos online on VIMEO. I extols the benefits of this amazing camera. I could compare it to 5DmII, the FS100, the D800 and recently 5DmIII. Always the same love for the GH2. Like all of you I expect the GH3 for months, and like all of you, I put a lot of hope in this new camera: to finally work with GH3 for TV. Panasonic has the opportunity to capture a very wide range of buyers and to guide the GH3 professionals (those who see only Canon brodcoast for work). So I find it normal that the first tests point to the problems of moiré this camera! I do not expect that I made ​​this the perfect picture under optimal conditions. I am waiting to give defects! Qualities necessarily exist! As for 5DmIII or D800 or any other cameras.

• @tenjin The question is, where in the processing pipe are those profiles applied to the image. I guess it's done before compression and that would be better than doing it in post to a compressed file ... So - if there is an desired look available, it's better (and faster) done in camera. Some of those color looks provided by the GH3 are not bad. Grading has become mainstream!

• I just have a question about those creative modes: Are these some "process" of the GH3 AFTER it shot or is it a different way for the GH3 to grab the picture? I'm conscious my question sounds corny, Im sorry english is not my native language... But the point is to know if these creative modes are just some "filters" that could as well be made in postproduction with better skills by pros than some presets for my girlfriend when she uses the camera? Because if it is the later, I don't see the point except to look for the flattest profile possible.