Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Best M 4/3rd interview lenses
  • 58 Replies sorted by
  • Samyang or Rokinon 35mm 1.4 on m43 would be nice for interview.

• I use 20mm f1.7 Panasonic ( focus locked) with ND for interviews mostly, I see interviews and portraits as two different things. 20mm gives a nice head and chest shot from around 2 1/2 to 3ft and close enough for good audio from a camera mounted ext mic if required ( Rode Video Mic Pro). I've not noticed nor has anyone ever complained of face distortion with this lens, it's there, but you can only see it if do A/B comparison with an 85mm. It is noticeable if you shoot closer, say just a head shot, but head/chest is fine.

http://m43photo.blogspot.com.au/2011/01/comparison-lumix-14mm-vs-lumix-20mm.html http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2011/02/16/the-panasonic-14mm-2-5-micro-43-lens-review-by-steve-huff/

• I used the GH2 with the 25mm Voigtlander for medium shots or american MCU quite often and I like it very much. If you use ND you can open open aperture and get a nice shallow depth of field. Much better than with the 12-35 and also nice embedding into the ambience. In my interview shots it is mostly requested to show ambience what the person is talking about

e.g.: image

I rarely use longer lenses than 50mm for interviews on a native 4/3rd sensor.

Your mileage may vary ;-)

• Ok.

If he continues this conversation in the correct thread, I'll back my point.

• Plus a 25mm is still a 25mm in terms of what it does to the face. Use a 85mm lens or there abouts and back up.

If you are talking about m43 lenses, it is not correct. It is your position that does anything to face, and 25mm lens is same as 50mm FF. 85mm is really hardly usable in m43 for such tasks.

• What V said. Plus a 25mm is still a 25mm in terms of what it does to the face. Use a 85mm lens or there abouts and back up.

• If you want to stay with m4/3 native lens, 12-35 and 35-100mm works darn good. However, I just jumped on the sigma 18-35mm and by far amazed with it. Now on the hunt for a Nikon mount version.

With the 20mm, it may be noisy on focus but if it's sit down interview then you'll pre focus all your shots beforehand.