Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
ST: HDMI Team
  • 125 Replies sorted by
  • Correct!
  • Ok, thanks. It seems that HDMI recording is not worth the money and effort
  • Not after the hack ;-)

It is difficult to see a difference with non-critical scenes anyway. Only high-detail high-motion will show a clear difference as long as you use Pannys bitrates, but the best patches come so close that it's neither worth the money nor the hazzle of having another device to take care of.

Would be quite different if we had 10 bit 4:2:2 on the output, though. We use ours on the RED to have decent footage for editing without transcoding.
  • Also in 25p?
  • Not in 25p. You don't need any script for it, just set your NLE to progressive.

Sorry, NTSC folks, I feel with you.
  • If you're in PALand and want to record 24P out HDMI, you will need the script. The GH2 wraps 24P into a 50i stream and it's seriously messed up.
  • @mad
    @Ralph_B

This is not topic about HDMI output.
    We have such separate topic.
  • Is there actually at the time an advantage of HDMI over good bitrate internal recording?
  • Are you sure?
    I was under the impression that shadows and dark tones retain more detail in the uncompressed stream.
  • @P4INKiller a good clean HDMI output would have vast advantages, apart from getting the GH2 on the BBC camera list, it would mean that we could have 'edit ready' media out of the cam.

I am still secretly hoping for a HDMI fix...
  • Well, we have a clean stream in 25p now. Yes, it'll be edit ready, which is an advantage.

But: it's still 8 bit and I doubt it's 4:2:2. If I generate difference images against the best of the hacks, the IQ advantage is very small.
  • Sorry, editing my last post didn't work.

If having a ProRes stream right away without transcoding is enough of an advantage to buy a Ninja, go ahead. It's a nice piece of hardware that does what it says. But will the BBC accept it?
  • Do they actually care about the numbers if you hand in something that looks really great? Or are you saying you won't get hired to do a job for them with a camera that delivers at 24mbps, 8 bit, 4:2:0?
  • I just want to make sure I'm not missing anything. I record to SD cards only so I don't need the HDMI signal to be perfect. I just need to camera to record 24p on the card and give me any HDMI signal to an external monitor for me to judge focus.

Is that something possible in the near future or is it not even on the road map?
  • @davhar - no, a camera with those specs would not make the approved kit list for bbc acquisition

http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/commissioning/site/BBC_Approved_HD_Cameras.pdf
  • Sure you can record and use HDMI out at once. Just not in 720p.
  • Yes I think it is not officially approved, but they have been using 5d mark2 for some of their features/shows, so I don't think a camera like the gh2 footage would fail.
  • Always depends on content. But even the Sony F3 has been criticised massively by Alan Roberts from BBC (PDF is public).
  • @Meierhans sorry I meant to say I need to monitor through HDMI while recording 24p in ETC mode. I only use 16mm film angenieux glass so that restricts me to etc mode
  • Ah, ok. This makes sense then. :) Lets hope we will get HDMI out in all modes one day.
  • @danyyyel, most broadcasters allow 10 percent of footage from non approved cameras to account for stock footage, gopros and other mini cams, etc. So usually this is where the DSLR footage gets in -- i.e. as B-cam footage. In practice I've seen this ratio go up as high as 50 percent, but usually the EDLs are "massaged" a bit so that it still looks like the ratio is being maintained. @eoshd actually had a great post about this on his blog about how bad it is that we're become fixated on gear and too often get asked "what you can shoot on" instead of being asked "how good of a dp is this person."

That said, I'm still hoping for hdmi 4:2:2 if it is ever possible -- would love to record, with an imbedded timecode and synced audio straight to dnxhd with a pix 240 or similar. The cost of the recorder would pay for itself in hours saved in post/with assistants in no time.
  • Hi all. Just wondering, does anyone know if it could be possible in the future to use ETC mode with HDMI out? Is it even possible to hack the firmware in this way?

I use my camera on a shoulder rig with a Zacuto EVF. It would be oh-so-nice to be able to flip into ETC every so often so I don't have to change to another lens or unplug the HDMI cable. Thanks!
  • I would also like to know.

Vitaly would you care to comment on whether hdmi monitoring via etc mode is possible? I am not concerned with clean hdmi for recording.

• @peterosinski

May be.

But it is wrong topic for this question.

So, I'll close it for a while.

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions