Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
I'm not a beginner but its been a while since I tried a new patch
  • I'm shooting a new feature film with my GH2, and I figure if there is a better patch than what I used last time (which is now over a year old) I should come here and find out what the latest and greatest is. I'm using sandisk and transcend cards. class 10, 30mb.

What do you suggest?

• 29 Replies sorted by
  • @Azmyth Assuming you're willing to update your SD cards to Sandisk 64GB 95MB/S, I'd say Intravenus v2. I'm just now finishing shooting a feature with it and I'm very happy with image quality. I would also check out the Moon series of settings. Many people really love the Moon series. I think Intravenus v2 is a more 80s film stock look and the Moon series is a very nice modern look.

• Hmm, what are my options for the cards I have? I don't know that I'll be able to update them before I start shooting (FRIDAY) I'd like to do that, but i've already got shoots scheduled. I didn't figure things would have changed that much, but it appears they have.

• @Azmyth I don't know because I've always used those cards. You could pay extra and get 2 of them overnight delivered to you. What setting/patch are you using now? What type of look or image style are you trying to achieve? Plus you may need time to test workflow and check out results with a new setting/patch.

• One vote for MoonT7. IQ is absolutely amazing. I think matt_gh2 is bang on: IV2 more nostalgic film look / Moon more modern.

• MoonT7 run with Sandisk C10 45mb/s or 30mbs 16/32GB?

• Yeah its gonna come back to the cards. I was using one of the driftwood hacks. I'll have to look since its been a long time since I used it so I don't remember off the top.

• I can overnight a card from BHphoto, claims it will get here tomorrow by 12pm.. I'm thinking about pulling the trigger.. will this only work on 64gb cards? or can I get by with a 32? its 90 dollars vs. 149 with shipping worth the extra?

• I went ahead and bit the bullet.. BHphoto says it could overnight it and have it here by tomorrow at 12pm so I went ahead and got the 64gb.. so, I'm shooting a feature film about an IT guy who becomes a professional wrestler. It's a comedy that I want to have sort of a quirky feel, like Napolean dynamite or something. What hack would you suggest? I want it to look cinematic though (which I know comes from lighting, and all the other stuff)

Moon T7 or?

• @Azmyth Good move on getting the 64GB, it actually tests as faster than the 32GB, even though both rated 95MB/S. As far as choice of settings Moon T7 will give you a modern look like Eastbound and Down show. Intravenus v2 will be closer to something like the shows Newsroom, or The Office. On Intravenus v2, I use Film Mode Smooth -2,-2, 0,-2. What lenses are you using? I use vintage lenses (old Lomo lenses). If you're using modern lenses like the panasonic or olympus m43 lenses, I'd probably stay away from Intravenus v2 as I don't like the look/result of that combo. With modern lenses Moon T7 is better choice.

If I was you I would do some quick tests with a few patches/settings. Although your current SD card may not be the most reliable for a full feature shoot, it may work for testing the settings. If you're shooting tomorrow, definitely test today to pick the look you like. If SD card doesn't work, start looking at footage in the MoonT7 thread and in the Intravenus v2 thread.

BTW, the plot sounds very cool. Have a great shoot.

• Thanks for all the help!

I'm using old vintage primes as well.. just Canon glass. I'll do some tests tonight, I didn't think it would work at all. Even if i can get a few shots in to see what I like I'll be good. I've used enough of these patches to have a good grasp on it, but once I choose the choice is made!

• Yeah, sometimes the slower cards work, sometimes they don't, and sometimes you get 5-10 seconds of footage and then it stops, but even then you'll have your test footage. Rock on!

• You might want to take a look at Sanity 5.1. It's perhaps the best long GOP patch created, and gives any of the intra patches a serious run for their money, at a fraction of the bitrate.

http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/2642/sanity-4-and-5.1/p1

• Moon will get you ~45-50 minutes on the Extreme Pro 64 gb card if I remember correctly. the 32 gb card freezes up shooting moon.

• matt, what film mode settings are you using with moon? I have always used.. smooth -2 0 0 -2

• Ok, so either I didn't install this right.. or I'm just imagining things. I did some test shots, they all worked fine. and aren't very big in file size..

like 100mb a piece for like a 15 sec clip. I don't think its working.

• the bit rate is only like 38mbps too.. hmm..

• there we go, its working now. I had to do it again.

• good luck with the feat and remember to enjoy ;-)

• A little off topic but what happened to the BMCC you had? For some reason I thought you started this project a while ago.

• @Azmyth I don't use Moon, but recommended it as an option that yields a nice modern look, combined with high praise it gets. Some others on the Moon thread might have their settings listed. I believe they typically use Smooth or Standard. When testing moon, I would try Smooth and Standard and see what you get in terms of look.

Also, 38 Mbps is definitely the result of setting/patch being applied as the regular non-hacked stock firmware will run at 24 Mbps max. With most of the settings/patches you will get a variance depending on what type of shot it is.

Did you get the look/style you had in mind for the feature?

• Ian, I rented a BMCC for a teaser shoot I did. I decided against using it for the feature because of funding, and because I just wasn't as impressed with it as I thought I'd be. I'm so used to my GH2 that I enjoy using it more.. go figure right?

Matt, I've seen some pretty cinematic impressive stuff with intravenus as well.. tempted to try it out today. I haven't shot anything yet worth looking at with Moon, it will only record for about 4 seconds lol.

• I just saw this.. shot with intravenous 2.. I really like that look.. tempted to try it..

• @Azmyth Actually Te$timoney video episode 1 you saw used Intravenus v2 for the opening scene with the Pastor talking with the drug dealer. I believe the rest of that episode was shot with a Sony camera. On episode 2, I believe they started using Moon for a few shots if not all of it.

Somebody on here noted what I'm finding - the Intravenus v2 footage doesn't really need much in terms of grading - it comes out looking great.

Did you manage to get a look at footage of Moon and Intravenus v2 that you shot with your lenses? That's the real proof - how it looks with your lenses an with how you light and frame shots.

• Yeah, I think I am going to go with the Intravenus v2. I want this to have a somewhat indie feel, and the look I'm going for is going to come down to the lighting and set design. Both look great, but I just think Intravenus is gonna work better for my application this go round! I also like that it doesn't need much grading, I'm not a big "color grading" guy. I like to shoot close to what the final image will be.

• @Azmyth Good choice. After 15 outings/shooting days, I haven't had a single problem with Intravenus v2 in terms of in-camera playback or any other technical issue.

Regardless of patch/setting selected, remember that for the Sandisk 64GB 95MB/s card, it is recommended that you record a small clip/shot immediately after shooting any long clip. I had my cinematographer do a 5-10 second clip after any shot over 2 minutes. (I think she remebered about half the time. We had no problems, but this is to prevent the error message where the cam won't playback yout clip in-camera.) You can bring laptop on set(or leave in car), just in case you need to review footage and clip won't play in camera. Also good in case you need to transfer footage to hard drive if space runs out on Sandisk card. Also I believe for that SD card it is recommended to record/shoot a small clip before turning the camera off. All the recommendations are in the FAQs on this site.

Have a great shoot.