Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Driftwood Cluster X series 3:│moon T7│ЅріzZ T6│Nebula T7│Drewnet T9│
  • 1811 Replies sorted by
  • @jdude , thanks, I have a zoom H4N and a sennheiser shotgun mic.

• @Alex_K I see that now, I didn't go through frame by frame, but eh, I'm satisfied by the results.

@Tjabo Apparently it is doubling frames, but still, the shutter speed is independent of a recorded frame rate. With Alex_K's information, it's dropping down to 30fps and doubling the frames to keep 60fps, so it really isn't 'true' 60fps, nor is it really a >360* shutter angle. But the end result looks more or less the same, so I'm okay with it.

The beauty with digital is that it's a LOT cheaper and easier to mess around with settings and maybe half-baked ideas than with film. I put two of the first clips I shot that night together to show you the flickering. Both were shot at 60fps, I repeated the clips first at the 60fps, then again at 24fps. The first one I started at 1/125 sec shutter speed, and then as the flickering goes away, I'm going down towards 1/40 sec. The second clip just has some more of the flickering more apparent throughout the shot, even at 1/40. It's much more noticeable in color. Password is 'moont7'

• @donniewagner Excellent work! Very impressed with the footage, audio and editing. What kind of equipment do you use for the audio?

• @powderbanks, thanks for that, it seems I have some more reading to do! :)

Initially, I am having trouble conceptualizing how it is possible to divide up a second into 60 segments that are each longer than 1/60th of a second without them overlapping each other. It certainly opens up a bunch more possibilities than I knew existed. At this point in my life I've grown quite accustomed to finding out how much I don't know! :)

@donniewagner, thanks for the answer -- amazing to me that you could crank that out so fast. You have a gift.

• @powderbanks shooting 1/40 ss at 60fps causes double frames. = 1/40 ss at 30 fps

• @Tjabo. Thanks! I'll see if I can find the raw footage of the flickering. I have a clip where I went through a few shutter speeds while recording to see if it was just the way it was being displayed or if it was actually recording it. I've noticed this before at this venue with some other videos and stills I've shot there, but they got some new lights recently and it's much more evident in video than before.

1/40 sec shutter speed is possible because of the witchcraft of digital. On a traditional film camera, the max is a 360* shutter angle (a little less, otherwise the image would be blurred from moving through the gate), which would be 1/60 for 60fps. But you can shoot down to a 1/2 sec shutter speed in 60 and 24fps modes. I'm not sure how to best explain it, but basically the shutter is staying open for a certain duration independent of the recording frame rate. Because there's no film moving through a gate, you don't have to worry about the entire image being a blur. It's the first time I really shot anything of length with a >360* shutter angle. I had read somewhere that shooting at the same shutter speed as what your final frame rate will be will keep the motion blur consistent. I liked the exposure at 1/40 on 24fps, but I wanted slow motion and 1/125 was too fast for 60fps without cranking the ISO, so I just went with it. I think I'll shoot more 1/40 ss for 60fps now that I've seen the results. That extra exposure is nice, and the extra motion blur, IMO, is nice. 60fps @ 1/125 just looks off to me for some reason.

• @Tjabo, I'd guess 40 hours total. no lights used, just skylights and windows. Thanks for the compliment!

• @powderbanks, is it really possible to shoot 60fps at 1/40th? If not, maybe the shutter speed the camera was having to push into was causing the flickering? Seems like 1/60th is the minimum that is actually possible, and not even quite that. No? Great video though, I don't think the flickering caused any problem.

@donniewagner, WOW! That is a fantastic piece!!! How long did you spend on the various parts of the project? Really a beautiful thing with the lighting, the shooting, the audio and the editing. I would hope you'll get plenty more work from this!

• Great, donniewagner!

• @driftwood Moon T7 and old Nikon 24 2.8, 50 1.4, and 80-200 2.8 My first real commercial work.

• @ura It's something to do with VLC and your computer. AVCHD/.MTS files are quite CPU heavy when it comes to decoding, and I think hacked GH2 footage is enough to make VLC crawl. Also, if you're playing video files from a hard drive (especially if it's USB 2.0) that's another potential bottleneck. My laptop (Samsung QX410) VLC does the same thing you're having problems with, but if I watch footage in Windows Media Player or open it in Premier, it's perfectly fine. However, on my workstation, VLC has no issue with raw .MTS files. Short term: try a different video player. Long term: workstation.

I shot this with Moon T7, 720p60fps interpreted to 24fps for the slow motion. All shot at 1/40 shutter speed. The only grading was one of the Lumetri B&W LUT's. Mostly shot at ISO 320, and somewhere between f1.8 and 2.8 on a SMC/Takumar 1.8/55 with a SpeedBooster. Audio was straight out of the camera. I've shot a few live shows with the GH2, and while the mic is generally pretty poopy, it manages to capture live music halfway decently.

Anyone know how to keep LED stage lights from flickering so much in footage? I tried several shutter speeds, and 1/40 (my usual ss for 24fps anyways) was the only one that managed to keep it from seizure-city.

• can some 1 tell me how do you guys view your files on MAC base platform your GH2 files the .mts one's???? when even im looking at my they just play for few seconds before freezing up and that should not happen. I have macbook pro i7 2.6Ghz 8GB-Ram 512GB SSD and it should pull just fine, but it doesn't and im using VLC player to play my videos. However if i import it in to premier pro cs6 it plays just fin???? can some one help me plz.

• Does anyone here do professional video production on the island of O'ahu? Contact me ASAP

• @ dancerchris & IVIavericks52: thanks for the valuable information. Dancer, I do have the 64GB card you mentioned which is in my BMPCC so I'll just switch them around! Never would have known that it would perform differently than the 32 GB card....also good to know the UDHC 3 card is not good for the hacks, that will just stay in my GH4 then. And thanks for the the other hack recommendations should I have continue to have problems.

• @dancerchris Larger storage sizes for flash memory of the same class will always have higher transfer rates. The way a flash NAND writes its data allows for higher bandwidth when there is more storage space available. As for the UHS 3 cards I can definitely confirm, those do not work with the GH2 hacks, though they handle my GH4 200-mbit video just fine. I personally have been using the Drewnet T9 patch and it's very reliable with a good card, spans fine too.

• @crowbar For some reason the 32 GB Extreme Pro is not as capable as the 64GB card as it is a SDXC card (not SDHC like the 32GB card). If you want the best card for the hacks use that. The GH2 cannot utilize the UDHC 3 cards capability, it dumbs it down quite a bit. Also you need to do testing as to the reliability of each hack with your setup. Each Mode, lens, hack, setting and image detail combo has different results. There are other hacks for uber reliability (Cake or Sanity for example). Moon is not uber reliable especially when spanning, although some people get it to work for them.

• Recently used my GH2 with Moon T7 along with GH3 and GH4 for a 3 camera shoot on a live musical performance. At about 4 minutes the GH2 stopped recording. I was using the Sansisk 32 GB Extreme Pro 95 MB/s class 1 card. Would using a class 3 card help in this matter? Or if I turned the camera off between each performance would this span the recording? Sorry if this has already been answered earlier in the post which I read much in the past but just hoping for a fast answer and solution. Thanks

• Iman, check Hack & Patches Categories in the right Topic Box of this web page. Use suitable preset for your camera. Goodluck!

• hi, where i can dowload hacks?

• Oh and now it works again.

• But maybe I'm not as get option to save link elsewhere but not here.

• I know I'm being remarkably stupid, done it a bunch of times before, but I can't download Moon T7. Not had a GH2 for a good while now but promised to put the hack on a friends, I right click on the file image at the front of the thread and get option to download image, which is exactly as it says, an image. Am on Mavericks on mac. D'oh what to do please?

• can someone share with me the best export settings for moon T7 and im using Premier Pro CS6 in to youtube and vimeo channel. plz thannks in advance.

• Got the 60p working

• @JayUKB @yskunto Many thanks , all sorted. Much appreciated:)

Start New Topic

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

Sign In Register as New User

Tags in Topic

Top Posters