Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
25mm f1.4 Leica DG Summilux
  • 89 Replies sorted by
  • Well...I decided to pick this one with the SLR Magic 12 mm f 1.6 instead of the 12-35 mm . For my videos I think I ll be better provided ....dont you guys agree ?

• @larrystick

The DG doesn't have a stopless manual aperture ring like most conventional video lenses that I've been used to operating.

I have the legacy Four Thirds version of the Leica 25mm f1.4 and it's one of the very few Lumix lenses that have a manual aperture ring. It's a beautiful lens, one of the sharpest I own, and the aperture makes a huge difference in rapidly paced event shoots. It also auto-focuses very quickly, nearly as fast as a native MFT Lumix lens.

• i'm a complete noob just started filming nearly a month.. i have this lense (25mm summilux) and focusing seems abit of trouble.. anyone knows how to set this lense focus to infinity?

• I'm new to using the GH2 for video, and I have a newbie question. With the exception of many people not liking the fly-by-wire manual focus, the Leica DG 25mm seems like an excellent lens. I bought one, but am considering returning it.

The DG doesn't have a stopless manual aperture ring like most conventional video lenses that I've been used to operating. I know I can control aperture using the GH2 controls on the rear of the camera, but when I use that I seem to create some camera shake.

Can anyone comment on this for me?

• @matthere yeah. $700 seems kinda high. I'm tempted

• Well spotted @johnnymossville I would join the 25mm 1.4 owner's club if they would ship that to the uk (even with added tax!) Amazon uk has this at £444... aprox $700 here!

Would be great as one of @VK's bargain sale items ;)

• Panasonic Leica DG Summilux 25mm f/1.4 ASPH Photozone.de review

http://www.photozone.de/olympus--four-thirds-lens-tests/740-pana25

• @Shield "Ok, figured it out. It's not just a simple "half-click". You have to half-click and HOLD. HOLD being the key word. You have to hold the half shutter for 2-3 seconds, then a green box appears on the LCD and it refocuses. Also during this half/click hold, you can adjust the focus manually by rotating the focus ring. After 6 months I'm STILL learning amazing things about this camera! Shawn"

I am with you, and I just learned this from you. Thanks for sharing... Al

• That's not my video.

• @stonebat: Which camera base is this? Is it height adjustable? If it is, it's exactly what I need :)

• Can you guys see the video from my previous post?

• And it has a very big 'breathing' efect

• Just bought this lens the other day. Optical quality is stellar but I am really not a fan of this focus by wire business. Is there any way to adjust the sensitivity of the electronic focus ring? I personally feel like it's exhaustingly slow.

• @ctbehrens get Rokinon 35mm F/1.4
  • I recently bought a GH2 with the Leica/Summilux 25/1.4 - really nice lens.

Was hoping I could match it up with some old FD lenses that I have from the old days - a 50/1.4 and a 35/2.

I think they will be very tough to match...

Summilux is a much sharper lens and warmer compared to the FD's.

What lenses in the 35 to 55mm range match up well with the Leica/Summilux ?

Thanks!

Chris
  • @LPowell.

Thanks for the info. I really want to check out the 25mm. Its on my list.
  • @pvjames
    Compared to the legacy Four Thirds version of the Leica 25mm f1.4, the Sigma 30mm f1.4 is not very sharp at its widest apertures. Its auto-focusing speed on the GH2 is also much slower than the 25mm, and the 30mm won't auto-focus at all on the GH1. Here's links to detailed reviews:

http://www.photozone.de/olympus--four-thirds-lens-tests/509-leica25f14

http://www.photozone.de/canon-eos/298-sigma-af-30mm-f14-ex-hsm-dc-test-report--review
  • Also, has anyone done a comparison between the Pan-Leica 25/1.4 and the Sigma 30/1.4?
    The 25 must be 'crisper' then the 30 wide open? I'm guessing the Sigma is more similar to the Voigt then
    the Panny.
  • Voigt 25mm 0.95 for 740 EURO or Pana 25mm F/1.4 for 539 EURO? Is the Voigt worth 200 EXTRA? And is the F/1.4 worth 200 EURO premium compared to 20mm F/1.7?
  • Ok, figured it out. It's not just a simple "half-click". You have to half-click and HOLD. HOLD being the key word. You have to hold the half shutter for 2-3 seconds, then a green box appears on the LCD and it refocuses.
    Also during this half/click hold, you can adjust the focus manually by rotating the focus ring.

After 6 months I'm STILL learning amazing things about this camera!
    Shawn
  • Also, this works if I tap the screen, but not a half shutter press.
    Thanks,
    Shawn
  • I think this only works in manual movie mode and not 24p cinema mode. The shutter "half-press" auto focus while recording, correct?
    Is it refocusing because you can take stills while shooting a movie in this mode?
    No matter what settings I try, in 24p mode I cannot "re-autofocus" WHILE recording.

Any half press of the shutter stops the recording. Being able to push focus without using continuous autofocus in video mode (due to the hunting) would be amazing.
    Anyone?
  • Grow a smaller finger ;)
  • @LPowell - "If you turn off Continuous AF in the menus, the M4/3 lens will stop hunting during video takes, and you can still auto-focus it with a half-click of the shutter button."

Every time I try this during movie mode, it stops recording with any press of the shutter button. I have verified that continuous auto focus is turned off in the menus. Any other special setting I need to have to get this to work? I am able to touch focus with the LCD screen, but this half-shutter press during video mode I've never been able to get work. I lightly touch it and it stops recording.