Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
AVCHD maximum image quality settings and testing
  • 1002 Replies sorted by
  • I am not sure but it seems to be the fat32 limit. I just stops with no message, there was one time it said write limit exceeded due to card. I trying to find out if I have to get a SDXC card.........I am almost there :-)
  • @chrimsbroome Before you go any further I believe any setting over 44M will NOT span :-) Don't waste your time trying to get it to for 132M! Its a top setting for great quality. Use it for short shots!
  • @driftwood, sure mate- I am just trying to find out whats causeing it to stop after 10 mins or 8. It seems to be the fact that it can only write 4 GB files. I am on the 56 MB 1080p 50fps setting not the 132 setting.
  • chrimsbroome,
    Like driftwood just mentioned, any setting over 44M will not span. For that matter, as Vitaliy has mentioned in the past - any setting over 32MB "may" not span. This is the case right now. Things can change of course ;)

BTW, it is due to FAT32. 2^(32)=~ 4GB.

• So, here my test so far with the Driftwood Preset:
    about 100 clips in different place with sun trees sky indoor low light with FHS/FH reduce to 55M AQ3 lens 100-300 Lumix OIS on, autofocus on, ISO from 160 to 1250 shutter from 1/60 to 1/250 and no freeze occur, my card Sandisk extreme pro 45MB/s.,
    but with ExTele on after 15 second Camera freeze in all clip.
    Next test AQ2 at 55M.
  • @Ulisse Thanks so much for trying it mate. How did the clips look? Looking into the EX Tele mode soon...
  • No_SuRReNDeR,
    Your chess2 720 stream chart looks freaking great.

Could you point me to Chris's 44M file? I know i've tried it in the past. I just could not remember what changes were set for 720.
  • @Driftwood, I will upload tomorrow some image looks really good.
    Very strange, after formatting for 4 times the card no crashes occurred anymore in 720 60p and 1080 60i ETC enable, with the same setting 55M AQ3, what's happen ???
    Tomorrow i must go deep in this X-file, ehehehehe.
  • @Ulisse, you probably were shooting simpler, less detailed scenes while ETC was on. of course, im just guessing.

I've tried the 132mbps package, and trying to hang the unit, but i failed terribly ( ;P ) I'm actually from PALand, so I'm not so excited on 24p footage, but rather, the FSH/SH settings
  • @lukavi, no absolutely, before it went in crash also with little details.

@Driftwood, individual frame of the last take of today, moon in ETC enable and with 100-300mm, respectively focal of 100, 250 and 300, not actual clear sky, iso 160 f. 8 1/125 720 60p
    00020 1.png
    1280 x 720 - 350K
    00024 1.png
    1280 x 720 - 871K
    00021 1.png
    1280 x 720 - 778K
  • Indoor static same lens
    1. frame ETC off iso 1250 f.4 1/60
    2. frame ETC on iso 1250 f.4 1/60
    3. frame ETC on iso 1600 f.4 1/60
    4. frame ETC on iso 2000 f.4 1/60
    00028 1.png
    1280 x 720 - 568K
    00025 1.png
    1280 x 720 - 1M
    00026 1.png
    1280 x 720 - 1M
    00027 1.png
    1280 x 720 - 2M
  • @Vitaliy_Kiselev
    Is the spanning issue something that can be fixed in next PTool or are there hardware limitations in the camera? I think it is the single most annoying issue at this moment. The footage with Driftwood's and CBrandin's settings looks awesome! I really hope we can make spanning work with higher bitrates.
  • @bardamu, @lenuisible i'm in the middle of Rigodon right now, i'v been reading the trilogy since last week ; let's found a club! ;-)

Hum... @nomad is true record limit has nothing to do with fat32 ; spanning (when it works!) is meant to deal with that issue and could allow continuous shot until full card... when it will be fixed (next ptool maybe?)

@sohus ; i think it's possible to fix it ; I've used kae 65mbps patch in ptool 3.61 and there were no prob in spanning the few time I went over the 4GB limit...
  • >Is the spanning issue something that can be fixed in next PTool or are there hardware limitations in the camera? I think it is the single most annoying issue at this moment.

I really do not know.
    It is very complicated and very slow to test thing.
  • I tested 2 days 720 50p mode. Here is what I have left:

1. 66M + 720 50p (52M SH, AQ2, GOP12) very stable, but I-Frame when shooting trees dying (pictures in my post above).

2. 44M + 720 50p (32M SH, AQ2, GOP24) is very unstable. I-Frame does not die when shooting trees.

I do not know why it is so ...
  • @Vitaliy.......What do you mean by spanning Issue I not been using Ptools a lot yet? , thanks
  • Hi there,

First all thanks for the incredible work and craftsmanship!
    I have two questions considering best quality:
    I want to do several tests to look if quality settings are ok, but my mac with Wine fails to install Streamparser properly (getting an error while installing) Has anyone an idea how to fix this?

For best quality: is a Sandisk 32 gb class 10 30mbs more appropriate than same Sandisk with 45mbs?

Thanks!

• @Gerondo - Is this card SDXC and can you go over the 4 GB limit?, people are prop going to kick me off for keep bringing this up but its is so fustrating to almost be there :-)
  • @chrimsbroome Anything over 32Mbps at the moment, irrespective of the card type, will most likely not span.
  • Ok, so basically it wont go over the 4GB limit. Even 64GB cards, I find that hard to belive but ok.
  • Check though the threads on here; this one, the ptool thread and the low gop thread, its been discussed a lot since the last Ptool release. It has nothing to do with card size. Use the 24L setting in cbrandins 44M 12GOP AQ4 settings, the 24L is set to 32M and spans fine for most of us.
  • @chrimsbroome
    On the outside of the card it says (if i can read it right): SDHC I
    It's an Sandisk extreme pro 45MB/s 16 GB. I am now testing if it can go over a 4GB limit.
  • @chrismbroom
    Recorded a static shot for 32 minutes and the film is divded in three .mts files of 4,26 GB each.
  • @Gerondo

The Sandisk 45MB/s cards have speed issues on the GH2. The 30MB/s card works much better. It's been discussed pretty thoroughly in this thread and others
  • @shrigg
    Thank you very much for this information!
This topic is closed.
← All Discussions