Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
AVCHD maximum image quality settings and testing
  • 1002 Replies sorted by
  • @cbrandin Thanks for everything
  • Chris, thanks for the explanation. Is there any room or plan to improve the codec in the future PTools for GH2?
  • @Hazna There are only 8 pages to browse.
  • @stonebat

Absolutely! There are things that simply can't be improved by changing current settings and we are working hard on those. Also, realize that we can't anticipate what settings will do at all times - that's why your testing is so important.

Chris
  • @Hazna

Here are the 44M settings. There still is an issue with spanning, though. I understand that the 24L settings (they are 32M) span OK for most people.

Chris
    setj.zip
    515B
  • It seems we need to test many various settings instead of searching for best setting. That would increase the chance to discover new behaviors of the codec. Then VK and Chris will improve the codec in the future PTools.
  • @ cbrandin
    Great settings! For the spanning issue try to not use the 30min recording limit! worked for me in mc5!
  • @AK2 " For the spanning issue try to not use the 30min recording limit! worked for me in mc5! "

Even in European's GH2 Market?
  • No, the spanning issue has to do with what happens when a file reaches 4GB - and that can happen in about 10 minutes at 44M. It has nothing to do with the EU 30 minute limit issue.

Chris
  • @stonebat

Well put @stonebat. As you may have noticed @driftwood and I are approaching settings from opposite directions. We go at each other pretty good from time to time over some issues. It's public, and it's great. Speaking for myself, I've learned a lot from his efforts and our debates - even when we don't agree. Also, I acknowledge that for some applications his settings are exactly what is needed. There is no such thing as "best settings" - it's like saying f5.6 is better than f8, and leaving it at that.

Chris
  • @cbrandin
    I know what spannig does ;). But if I use the removal from the hack mc5 tries to import every mts clip I shot with te gh2 as if it is spanned. Even if the clip is way under 4gb mc5 imports it and than it starts with a spanned import again and I have to restart the program because it just keeps to show the import spanned clip window. Without the removal its just working fine.

@paglez
    Yes I got a eu version of the GH2 working fine if I do not use the 30min limit removal.
  • @AK2
    Mc5? What is it?
  • sorry! ;) Its media composer 5.
  • @AK2 I'm not sure to understand the link between your issue with mc5 and the internal span issue with the gh2... By using your tip, can you record in one take until your card is full - or do a 30min continuous shot - using cbrandin setting (or any ptool 3.62 setting over 32mbps)?
  • Chris,
    You are absolutely "on a roll" today man!
    You're skills, info and help are a great asset for all of us!

Chris>"I challenge anybody to show me where any settings can produce bigger I frames that my 44M settings. I also challenge anybody to explain how even equal IQ can be achieved with smaller I frames, irrespective of P and B frame size."

This is the kind of stuff I like to see!
    This is exactly the kind of tests to drive the best quality with reasonable bitrates.

My only concern is the comparison 66Mb/s AQ4 motion frame to HDMI uncompressed motion frame Ralph_B
    provided here. I realize 66Mb/s AQ4 static image creates nice quality (healthy I-frames), but 66mbps/AQ4 really loss more detail under Ralph_B's example than I would of expected. Ralph's 66Mb/s AQ2 motion comparison was better. There was still some visual loss in detail, but no where as bad motion compared to AQ4.

If we can just find the "magic" setting that offers the high I-frames for static IQ, but also still holds well for motion.

As you know, one of the greatest complaints from most all video cameras and their compression codecs is the complaint that the image goes soft more than normal when panning. Even the Sony EX series XDCAM had some users complaining of softness during pan. Granted, some of the motion issues are due to the viewing monitor. The lists goes on-and-on from there... I remember my old JVC HD100 - many had the same complaint about motion.

These damn compression formats can be a real bitch! LOL

Thank you
    Steve
  • @cbrandin

Would you please come to my house and fine-tune & test my GH2 for me (for free)?

:-)

Seriously, thanks for all your work here. I learn a _lot_ reading your comments, and I greatly appreciate your work-in-progress PTool settings.

@Vitaliy

Your :-) response to Chris' post was priceless! ;-)

Thank you all, cheers & carry on!
  • As far as @cbrandin 44Mb settings do we leave gop settings standard in ptools, 12 for 1080 24p/ 30 for 720p?
  • Has anyone done any controlled, repeated tests that include color correction/grading in the process? The thing is, even stock GH2 stuff looked pretty dang good to my eye . . . until I started to manipulate it. Then it fell apart pretty quick. No big deal, I was just thinking that some testing that had grading in the process might make some of the differences more visually evident in the test footage.

P.S. @cbrandin thanks for your time. I'll be going through yours and @driftwood settings once my Sandisk cards arrive.
  • Hello. This is my first post. I'm sorry but I do not speak English. I use translator. So they can request funny linguistic anomalies.

I did test a strong color correction. I wanted to see if there is no breakdown of the material. Any noticeable changes in the compression. But it seems that it is very good. Tolerate working very well shot. Additionally, I used a 50% slowdown. I am happy with the result. I work on Avid Media Composer 5.5.

66mb/AQ2 settings I use. Below the source and after working (mp4)

http://www.filesonic.com/file/1840134694/sunflower.mp4
    http://www.filesonic.com/file/1833759514/W0034.MTS

Greet. And thanks a lot for work Vitaliy and friends.
    Jaroslaw.
  • @ cbrandin
    Great settings! However I find it's missing GOP settings, which shold I use, or it does not matter 3, 6, 12?
  • @olegkalyan Leave them unchecked, it runs at GOP 12 only, so there is no need to change/check it.
  • @stray thanks for a quick answer!
  • "Well put @stonebat. As you may have noticed @driftwood and I are approaching settings from opposite directions. We go at each other pretty good from time to time over some issues. It's public, and it's great. Speaking for myself, I've learned a lot from his efforts and our debates - even when we don't agree. Also, I acknowledge that for some applications his settings are exactly what is needed. There is no such thing as "best settings" - it's like saying f5.6 is better than f8, and leaving it at that." cbrandin

I Agree. We're all striving for the best possible solutions. There's always more than one approach. If I'm wrong I have no problems with it.
  • For PAL users attached cbrandin's 44M settings with some additions = setb (supposed to be used in all modes / class 6 cards)

modifications:
    - NTSC-PAL switch checked, 30Min limit removal checked
    - 720p50 AQ3 / GOP6
    - lpowell's 100Mbps MJPEG included (30fps, of course)

Too, cbrandin's 66M settings modified = setc (supposed to be used at 24H and FSH/1080i50 only)

modifications:
    - NTSC-PAL switch checked, 30Min limit removal checked
    - 66M AQ4
    - some settings from the original settings unchecked for troubelfree 50i recording
    setb.zip
    681B
    setc.zip
    490B
  • @towi I didn't think running 66Mbps at AQ4 was stable, which is why Chris took it back down to AQ2 (that and the fact it didn't actually improve the IQ in any dramatic worthwhile way). As bitrate increases AQ can go lower while IQ remains the same is my current understanding of things. Personally I had no problem running the original AQ4 settings, but I couldn't see any real noticeable difference between it (even in post) and 66Mbps running at AQ2.
This topic is closed.
← All Discussions