Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Olympus E-P5

• 16 Megapixel sensor like GH3
    • TruePic VI image processing engine
    • Tiltable screen
    • Improved AF
    • Improved 5 axis stabilization
    • 2.4Mdots optional EVF
    • Focus peaking
    • Shutter up to 1/8000 sec
    • Wi-Fi
    • with EVF+17mm lens - $1500
    • body - $999

Available at:

e_p5.jpg
    625 x 495 - 41K
    e_p6.jpg
    499 x 333 - 36K
    ep5.jpg
    625 x 533 - 60K
  • 66 Replies sorted by
  • E-P5 firmware version 1.4 released

• Improved remote control functionality when using the “Olympus Image Share” app.
    • Art Filter mode, custom self timer, zoom operation when using electric zoom lenses, digital tele-converter and cable remote release mode.
    • A 0 second setting has been added to Anti Shock mode.
  • New firmware released

• The smartphone application "OLYMPUS Image Share" now supports continuous shooting, live bulb shooting, and P/A/S/M and shooting settings (shutter speed, aperture, exposure compensation, ISO, and white balance) adjustments.
    • It is necessary to update to the latest version of OLYMPUS Image Share.
  • Olympus is offering a free VF-4 electronic viewfinder if you purchase E-P5 before purchased from now until 5 January 2014 (at least in UK/Ireland).

Check http://olympus-ep5-promotion.sales-promotions.com/

• Olympus's 5-axis sensor shift image stabilization system is built right into the camera, allowing it to work with any lens that is put on the camera, micro 4/3 lenses or any others. The I.S. system works to stabilize the camera from vertical, horizontal, rotational movements as well as tilting and turning. While holding the camera, it is able to provide you with up to 4-stops of correction.

With the E-P5 being so similar to the E-M1, we were not surprised when the E-P5 provided us with excellent image quality. Our outdoor images show great exposure and color, and are sharp and full of detail. The rich colors provide a pleasing and accurate reproduction of the image.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/camera-reviews/olympus/e-p5/olympus-pen-e-p5-review.html

sony15.jpg
    800 x 608 - 64K
  • Sharpness to minimum (-2) required for all Olympus video. Most Olympus video tests made by photographers with ugly AF-C, that don't care about right sharpness setting with video. AF-S/M helps use AF before recording and allow manual changes during recording.

Disappointingly, the E-P5's video is no better than the E-M5's: although nominally 1920 x 1080 resolution, it looks a lot lower, possibly as a result of clumsy sharpening. Shooting a video resolution chart, we can't get it to produce the roughly 1000 lines per picture height that it should be able to produce. The result on real-world footage is that everything looks rather mushy and indistinct.

We've found that when examining our images closely, many are visibly shaken, showing a distinct double-image which is almost perfectly vertically displaced (when the camera is in landscape orientation). The issue is most prevalent at shutter speeds between 1/80th and 1/250th of a second, and most obviously visible when using short telephoto lenses (~100mm equivalent).

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/olympus-pen-e-p5/

led2.jpg
    800 x 598 - 166K
    led3.jpg
    800 x 593 - 107K

AF is very speedy overall. Paired with prime lenses, such as 17mm f/1.8, or with larger zooms, such as the Panasonic Lumix G X Vario 12–35mm f/2.8 (a 24– 70mm full-frame equivalent), the E-P5 locked on its target as fast as you can expect any ILC to do so—it rivals what most DSLRs can do in this area.

Olympus’ Pen E-P5 is a well-thought-out, elegant little camera with enough imaging and performance prowess to satisfy a huge number of shooters.

Along with its compact size and the large number of lenses available for the Micro Four Thirds system, we think that the E-P5 is a fierce competitor in the ILC game. If you’re looking for a small, interchangeable-lens camera, this new Olympus definitely deserves serious consideration.

http://www.popphoto.com/gear/2013/09/camera-test-olympus-pen-e-p5

oly.jpg
    598 x 633 - 66K
    oly1.jpg
    596 x 861 - 88K
    oly2.jpg
    597 x 619 - 59K
  • The Olympus PEN E-P5 mirrorless camera offers an advanced feature-set in a compact metal body. It has a 16 megapixels CMOS sensor with 2X crop-factor, capable of ISO 100 - 25600, 9 FPS continuous drive and 1080p HD video capture.

As the leading model in the PEN series, it inherits impressive technologies, including 5-axis image-stabilization and Live-Bulb mode. It is designed with an innovative 2x2 system which makes parameters easily accessible via dual control-dials that switch between pairs of settings instantly.

Its image-quality is exceptionally high with low image noise and reliable metering. Colors are not perfect though which is easily corrected. Speed is another key area where the E-P5 truly delivers. Autofocus is very fast and so are shutter-lag, black-out and shot-to-shot speeds.

http://www.neocamera.com/camera/olympus/ep5/summary

nuc9.jpg
    800 x 566 - 124K
    nuc10.jpg
    800 x 564 - 127K
  • oly.jpg
    606 x 374 - 44K
    oly1.jpg
    620 x 614 - 56K
    oly2.jpg
    800 x 593 - 215K
    oly3.jpg
    800 x 597 - 259K
  • The E-P5 is more than fast enough for street photography. If fact, I had to slow down the multi-shot medium setting from 5 frames per second to 3. The high-speed shooting mode goes up to 9 frames per second. You don’t get continuous focusing at these speeds but it is impressive never the less.

The EP-5 is the closest yet to having that universal device that creates high quality stills and high quality auto focusing video. DSLRs, for example, produce great videos but they don’t auto focus well. My video needs are modest. I’m not looking to create cinematic movies. I just want to take effortless home videos, the kind that autofocuses and autoexposes without me fiddling with the controls. The E-P5 does this quite well, good enough that I can ditch the family camcorder.

http://blog.atmtxphoto.com/2013/08/25/the-olympus-e-p5-review/

sony_cam3.jpg
    800 x 598 - 152K
  • Overall, the build of the E-P5 is on a very high level and the cameras controls are well laid out and generally feel great to operate.

The rear screen of the E-P5 is a high resolution 1M dot LCD that tilts down and up for easy viewing. The rear screen is clear and sharp, and unlike the OM-D’s, the E-P5′s screen doesn’t exhibit color shift depending on viewing angle. It’s also a noticeably slimmer panel compared to the OM-D’s rear screen.

Overall, the Olympus Pen E-P5 is a solidly built camera that is quick, responsive and fun to shoot. It has excellent image quality and the 5-axis IS is wonderful. The overriding thought I had while shooting with the E-P5 was that is was a slightly smaller OM-D E-M5, with a bunch of little improvements: more precise autofocus, shorter shutter lag, quicker response and a few really nice features like Wi-Fi and a built-in pop-up flash.

http://admiringlight.com/blog/review-olympus-pen-e-p5/

samp6.jpg
    800 x 633 - 78K
  • Thanks, think i will take the olympus, trying to use the ibis at the best that i can!

• With the Olympus it is always compromise between stabilized but occasion pixelated footage. But what you get is extreme mobility, compare to normal camera and their steadicam/shoulder rig which take time to setup.

For me I will use Olympus for static footage which the IBIS does it best, coupled with prime lens you get those beautiful stabilized bokeh shoots like that wedding video which can't be achieved using normal zoom lens, (or you have to use tripod to get the same stabilized shot, but sometimes you don't have time for that), for the rest though I use Panasonic as the main camera since the image output is much more consistent.

For more moving footage the IBIS can be a problem, which the whole footage will shake, thus a steadicam is needed in this occasion.

• I see...so for a video use you don't suggest the olympus? It's also true that my pc does not run this videos well as it has to do, and every frame seems to be pixelated, cause doeas not "load" the frame so well...for this i though the video was good and was about my pc, the fault...but that scene at 3:00 look too...too.

• @Renovatio, this video that I was talking about:

Great image, but look what happens as 3:00, the scene with the trees behind the couple. Pause it and see it at full screen, look how the couple becomes pixelated. It happens with the OM-D video with a lot of detailed scenes - and I guess that it happens with the E-P5 too.

• So, is there, even for video mode, but using the evf is better...

• @renovatio @vitaly_kiselev Yeah, even Robin corrected it in his blog post:

Update 2: The focus peaking mystery resolved! It has to be activated by assigning one of the custom buttons. I have tried and it worked well with the 25mm F1.2 CCTV lens I have. I shall dedicate a full shutter therapy session using the CCTV lens on E-P5 to test how well the focus peaking, in combination with the new VF-4 performs. I was VERY glad I was wrong in this regard. Apologies for causing unnecessary panic. Special thanks to Pekka Potka for pointing out the mistake and explaining how it worked.

These guys that only works with electronic lenses... :) But I've saw videos of the E-P5 with peaking and it have a annoying flaw: when engaged, the focus peaking causes a massive drop in the framerate of the LCD / Viewfinder - maybe even rendering it useless for video. I'm not even certain that peaking works in video. A search in Youtube could answer this.

Reagarding video quality, as far as I know it's the same quality of the OM-D. Very good in scenes with low details, but the codec seriously falls apart with a lot of detail (water, tree leaves, etc). In the OM-D thread there is a (very good) wedding video that shows it, as I remember - there is a small scene where the bride and the groom are in front of a bunch of trees and it becomes very messy (I can't find the video now because Youtube is blocked here in my workplace). Take a look there.

• Thanks Vitaliy, you're really precious, but also among the comments I read that it should work for photos and not video. I do not deny that I'm trying to make a video, too short, and the stabilizer also convinced me to give up 24p or 60p: we turn always in 30p, does not matter. But it must be a conscious choice, and have the focus peaking would be useful, because maybe the evf would take it at a later time, if you own advice instead of the ep5 omd. I'm not directing of Panasonic or another precisely because they lack the stabilizer, and I think the ibis work on the pen as much as it works well on omd ..

• It was false claims that peaking does not work for manual stuff.

Robin is simply wrong here. Focus peaking works perfectly well with all manual lenses. Electric contacts are not needed, but of course FP can not be actuated then by turning focusing ring. It can be assigned to at least three different buttons, just pick your choice. Another matter is if a lens too soft to be able to give any sharp details at all…”

http://www.43rumors.com/e-p5-focus-peaking-does-not-work-with-manual-lenses-by-robin-wong/

• I knew the optional evf is better than the other one built-in the omd. But it's all about money :D

Thanks anyway Vitaliy, where have i to read about focus peaking with the voigtlander? Is it possible? Thanks so much, thanks