Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Olympus E-P5
  • 66 Replies sorted by
  • More reviews:

Olympus PEN E-P5 takes some of the best parts of the successful OM-D E-M5, and added some important features and functions on its own. I like that the E-P5 can do many things that the E-M5 can do, and expanded to faster shutter speed of 1/8000sec and flash sync of 1/320sec. I also noted that Olympus has listened to our many compaints over the years, such as the poor LCD (or OLED) screens at the back of their cameras, and improved the resolution and color accuracy in E-P5.

• The E-P5's main new features - a tiltable 1.04-million-dot touchscreen, innovative 2x2 Dial Control system, built-in Wi-Fi, expanded ISO range of 100-25600, built-in 5-axis image stabilisation, top shutter speed of 1/8000th second, focus peaking in manual AF mode, and 9fps continuous shooting - make it the most full-featured Olympus mirrorless camera and one of the best on the market.

With the same sensor as the OM-D E-M5 on-board, image quality is unsurprisingly excellent. Noise doesn't rear its ugly head until ISO 3200 for JPEGs and even the faster settings prove eminently usable,

http://www.photographyblog.com/reviews/olympus_ep5_review/

Olympus’s EP5 is their best Pen camera yet. Not only is the build quality something to sit there and drool over, but the image quality, autofocusing, and feature set are all really quite awesome as well. Indeed, it is an extremely versatile camera that can tackle most any situation you throw at it. Need to shoot something in very low light to point of cranking your ISO settings into the nuclear levels? Go for it. Need to capture your kid running around the yard like a maniac? This camera can autofocus fast enough to do so.

http://www.thephoblographer.com/2013/08/07/review-olympus-pen-e-p5/

control2.jpg
    679 x 484 - 96K
  • Noise is low at ISO200, with good levels of detail, and the same can be said about ISO400. Low noise, and good detail continues, until ISO1600 where there is a slight drop in levels of detail, although noise is low at this setting, and at ISO3200. At ISO6400 noise increases, although results are still quite impressive.

The Olympus PEN E-P5 sits at the top of the Olympus PEN range and is the desirable premium mirrorless camera, while lacking weather sealing of the OM-D, the additional features and high IQ from the OM-D should make the E-P5 top of the list for a mirrorless camera. The VF-4 EVF (electronic viewfinder) with a high resolution, large view, and rapid refresh is an excellent bit of kit and well worth adding to the E-P5, making it a real pleasure to shoot with. The Olympus PEN E-P5 has a number of impressive features that would put it at the top of the list of desirable cameras for advanced photographers as well.

http://www.ephotozine.com/article/olympus-pen-e-p5-csc-review-22370

control3.jpg
    800 x 610 - 110K
  • Like its predecessor, the PEN E-P5 will suit photographers who want a compact and versatile interchangeable-lens camera for general photography. It has the advantage of being able to use the many lenses and accessories designed for the Micro Four Thirds system and features the highest-resolution sensor and fastest and most powerful AF system and continuous shooting performance of any PEN camera.

Re-designed controls make this camera easier to use than its predecessor and the integration of Wi-Fi enable it to be significantly more 'connectable' to portable devices like smart-phones and tablet PCs. Five-axis stabilisation (which is built into the camera body and works with any lens) is a major plus and it's always active by default.

The new VF-4 electronic viewfinder overcomes this deficiency but it's relatively large and bulky and compromises the slim lines and small size of the camera body. As an EVF it's a superior performer and very nice to use. However, it can make the camera more difficult to extract from a cramped camera bag when you want a quick grab shot.

http://www.photoreview.com.au/reviews/advanced-compact-cameras/interchangeable-lens/olympus-pen-e-p5

e6.jpg
    596 x 445 - 110K
  • Hi guys, I finally found the topic of ep5! The'm seriously considering as a machine for making videos, not wanting to go further, in terms of expenditure, to make a full frame or maybe a canon 5d mark II or III to put magic lanter (too many expenses to be incurred and then, without even THE lens). In fact I fell in love voigtlander 17.5mm 0.95, a single lens of its kind. And as you know is not stabilized, then looked at Olympus. The ep5 works well in the video? The stabilizer ibis gives an annoying flickering or "water" effect? There is also the evf that would take perhaps only after, but there is the focus peaking: voigtlander you think it would be better with the omd? thanks

• the EP-5 has almost no aliasing!

EP-5vsGH3_Aliasing1.jpg
    3648 x 2276 - 978K
    EP-5vsGH3_Aliasing2.jpg
    3380 x 2270 - 1M
  • But it's not perfect. In some video i saw a lot of moire from omd, think it's the same with the pen.

Please, could you help me with the choice i've to do? Thanks

• Also: http://www.thephoblographer.com/2013/08/07/review-olympus-pen-e-p5/

Peaking seems does not work with voigtlander 17,5mm.

So, the difference is the shutter up to 8000 and the iso low 100 (only on the pen). And no EVF on the pen. So?

• Also: http://www.thephoblographer.com/2013/08/07/review-olympus-pen-e-p5/

Check few posts above.

And no EVF on the pen

In fact, optional EVF is better for E-P5.

• I knew the optional evf is better than the other one built-in the omd. But it's all about money :D

Thanks anyway Vitaliy, where have i to read about focus peaking with the voigtlander? Is it possible? Thanks so much, thanks

• It was false claims that peaking does not work for manual stuff.

Robin is simply wrong here. Focus peaking works perfectly well with all manual lenses. Electric contacts are not needed, but of course FP can not be actuated then by turning focusing ring. It can be assigned to at least three different buttons, just pick your choice. Another matter is if a lens too soft to be able to give any sharp details at all…”

http://www.43rumors.com/e-p5-focus-peaking-does-not-work-with-manual-lenses-by-robin-wong/

• Thanks Vitaliy, you're really precious, but also among the comments I read that it should work for photos and not video. I do not deny that I'm trying to make a video, too short, and the stabilizer also convinced me to give up 24p or 60p: we turn always in 30p, does not matter. But it must be a conscious choice, and have the focus peaking would be useful, because maybe the evf would take it at a later time, if you own advice instead of the ep5 omd. I'm not directing of Panasonic or another precisely because they lack the stabilizer, and I think the ibis work on the pen as much as it works well on omd ..

• @renovatio @vitaly_kiselev Yeah, even Robin corrected it in his blog post:

Update 2: The focus peaking mystery resolved! It has to be activated by assigning one of the custom buttons. I have tried and it worked well with the 25mm F1.2 CCTV lens I have. I shall dedicate a full shutter therapy session using the CCTV lens on E-P5 to test how well the focus peaking, in combination with the new VF-4 performs. I was VERY glad I was wrong in this regard. Apologies for causing unnecessary panic. Special thanks to Pekka Potka for pointing out the mistake and explaining how it worked.

These guys that only works with electronic lenses... :) But I've saw videos of the E-P5 with peaking and it have a annoying flaw: when engaged, the focus peaking causes a massive drop in the framerate of the LCD / Viewfinder - maybe even rendering it useless for video. I'm not even certain that peaking works in video. A search in Youtube could answer this.

Reagarding video quality, as far as I know it's the same quality of the OM-D. Very good in scenes with low details, but the codec seriously falls apart with a lot of detail (water, tree leaves, etc). In the OM-D thread there is a (very good) wedding video that shows it, as I remember - there is a small scene where the bride and the groom are in front of a bunch of trees and it becomes very messy (I can't find the video now because Youtube is blocked here in my workplace). Take a look there.

• So, is there, even for video mode, but using the evf is better...

• @Renovatio, this video that I was talking about:

Great image, but look what happens as 3:00, the scene with the trees behind the couple. Pause it and see it at full screen, look how the couple becomes pixelated. It happens with the OM-D video with a lot of detailed scenes - and I guess that it happens with the E-P5 too.

• I see...so for a video use you don't suggest the olympus? It's also true that my pc does not run this videos well as it has to do, and every frame seems to be pixelated, cause doeas not "load" the frame so well...for this i though the video was good and was about my pc, the fault...but that scene at 3:00 look too...too.

• With the Olympus it is always compromise between stabilized but occasion pixelated footage. But what you get is extreme mobility, compare to normal camera and their steadicam/shoulder rig which take time to setup.

For me I will use Olympus for static footage which the IBIS does it best, coupled with prime lens you get those beautiful stabilized bokeh shoots like that wedding video which can't be achieved using normal zoom lens, (or you have to use tripod to get the same stabilized shot, but sometimes you don't have time for that), for the rest though I use Panasonic as the main camera since the image output is much more consistent.

For more moving footage the IBIS can be a problem, which the whole footage will shake, thus a steadicam is needed in this occasion.

• Thanks, think i will take the olympus, trying to use the ibis at the best that i can!