Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
2K BlackMagic Pocket Cinema Camera, active m43, $995
  • 4493 Replies sorted by
  • Yeah, but that's just me and none of the other testers have made this comment, so take it with a grain of whatever!

Given the 2-2.5mb of frame data that the Pocket pulls down, how nice the image looks, I probably wouldn't shoot ProRes with it anymore and just treat it as if I were shooting a RAW only camera. That's me, of course, and not everyone is going to agree especially with the price of appropriate cards/storage.

• @Kholi, "Only, and this is just my opinion, the differences seem to be a bit more exaggerated on the Pocket Camera so far."

Meaning the jump in quality from ProRes to RAW is more pronounced on the Pocket? That's good to hear.

• Is that the red one? I am having the same issue.

• Anybody else having trouble with cieco7's OCT-18 adapter on BMPCC? I tried to mount it today but it was impossible... Putting it inside the mount was no problem but no chance to rotate it into lock position. Once I succeeded in rotating it a little bit it almost got stuck and the metal squeaked very unhealthy. The adapter mounts flawlessly on my GH2...

• The differences you see in ProRes and RAW on the 2.5K, you see in the two on the smaller camera. Only, and this is just my opinion, the differences seem to be a bit more exaggerated on the Pocket Camera so far.

• Agreed but I guess ProRes to ProRes is fine. I would just like to see 2.5k ProRes to Pocket RAW.

• Doh I keep forgetting that I'm shooting RAW on Pocket.

I guess this is a question/discussion that should take place after RAW's released.

• @kholi I do and I'm not really sure. I do like the grain of the pocket better than the 2.5k for some reason, though there's more of it in the pocket. I want to shoot with raw on the pocket before I make any final judgments though. It will be interesting to see them used together in the pilot I worked on with Shian. How well they cut and whatnot.

• Does anyone else own both cameras? 2.5K and Pocket? I'm curious which one you like more when it comes down to final image...

Super curious to hear some thoughts on this.

• Hello does anybody know if it's possible to change the kelvin temp on the BMPCC in the menu and get a proper reading when cycling through the menu because there is no live view mode.

• More grading tests..

• @shian How close are they?

• Is it just me or are there a lot of bad footage samples out there for the BMPCC? I've seen some gems that give me hope, and the reviews seem to be favorable... but there's a fair bit of junky looking tests on vimeo.

hm, seems like what's in front and behind the camera is still more relevant than the camera itself ;)

• Ha. Fromage...

• once the edit is done on 99 - they'll turn me loose on it... and then... well, I guess we'll see. The one test I did looks promising.

• @dpb

The main reason is you have 75% of the people coming from GH2s and 7Ds that just throw on some shitty Film Convert grade and call it a day.

Everyone thinks its a point and shoot camera. It's not and I'm cool with that.

• @dbp I think a lot the footage you are seeing isn't graded properly. It took me a day to get a handle on grading. You can't simply take the footage straight from the camera and upload it.

My guess is the footage that looks good is coming from people who understand how to handle the footage.

• Is it just me or are there a lot of bad footage samples out there for the BMPCC? I've seen some gems that give me hope, and the reviews seem to be favorable... but there's a fair bit of junky looking tests on vimeo.

• Camera comparison of 5D Mark III (H.264 & RAW), FS700 (Blackmagic Hyperdeck 2), Blackmagic Cinema Camera (ProRes & 2.5K RAW) and the Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera.

http://www.airos-records.com/camera_comparison.mp4

• @lmackreath Depends on how low-light you're talking about. I've shot at night (city) at 800ASA with the 12-35 with no problems. I must say I love the 12-35 on the BMPCC, the OIS is extremely helpful, it's very sharp and versatile. I would suggest getting it even if you have to get a fast prime for extreme low-light situations.

• @vapourtrail I received a bmpcc with a hot pixel. I went to the store that I bought it from and two days later they got a couple of new cameras and replaced mine. It was way much better than doing it myself.

• @lmackreath

Go with the preferred look is my advice. Haven´t used the Sigma, but I imagine I´d want to stop it down at least a tad. The lumix is sharp wide open, no need to stop down really. With that said, there is a bit more leverage with the sigma. almost two stops can make a difference. OIS is no replacement for stabilization IMO. I doubt there will be much of a difference with the weight of the Sigma in terms of stability.

With a complete lack of light you are screwed, either way. For cityscapes, both should be ok.

• People's thoughts on shooting in low light at 2.8 at 1600 Asa? I am torn between sigma 18-35 1.8 with SB or lumix 12-35 2.8. Both round the same price.. Both have pros and cons. My main concern is using the lumix in low light at 2.8 and max Asa compared to the sigma which with the speedbooster can shoot at 1.2. I leaning towards the lumix for ois and form Factor but still am interested in the sigma for the quality and the speed.