Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
2K BlackMagic Pocket Cinema Camera, active m43, $995
  • 4493 Replies sorted by
  • I have no problem with manual lenses. I used a nice old m42 on my doc until I bought the Zuiko 45mm. The issue was maintaining focus and the legacy lenses have a little different color to them--my 50mm is a little yellowish. And the quality of the Bokeh varies--some of it is a little ugly.

But I like the idea of an active 4/3 BMPC (pocket?). This will be critical to my decision. Also, what about shooting stills with it? I'd like to see the stills.

The workflow for raw might be a pain as well. Will BM bundle the camera with some software that will help us with raw workflow?

• Blackmagic will be on live show with chat questions (apparently?) here at 12pm pacific time: http://www.ustream.tv/channel/teradek-nab2013

• The title of the topic says "2K", but I don't see that anywhere on the banner. Can someone clarify?

• @QuickHitRecord

Right now no specs exist other than photo leak :-)

• in the small print below, I think it says 1080.

• The super 16mm BMCC camera is going to slap Red, Sony and Panasonic. Btw, C-mount are some of the best, relatively cheap, and sharpest lenses. I'm using the Switar lenses on my Gh2, and the picture quality is astounding.

• There's a ton of C-mount 16mm Glass out there dirt cheap that can be adapted to this. It's an interesting prospect in that regard.

• Never mind just handled one. Sd-card slot on me bottom. Feels great it's tiny.

image.jpg
    3264 x 2448 - 1M
  • Features a removable lo-ion battery aswell as a v12 tap.

• that thing is awesome, I still think if gopro can squeeze 2k in a small package, BMD can also.

• @lertavu, how big is the camera?

• @lertavu cheers a ton for the picture.

Just been looking for some c-mount glass, there certainly are some options, even to go wide. Any ideas what will be to avoid not to get vignetting?

• @lertavu

If possible set lower resolution for photos.

• @lertavu - A removeable battery? That will never catch on.

• Is that the Panasonic 14mm or 20mm lens on it? Gosh, if it available for pre-order, I think I might click that button.

• 2k killer w metabones speed booster omg! Ima start buyin' c-mount lenses like aint no tomorrow!

• @DailyFilmFix

BMC always sets new records, now it is preorders for items not even announced.

• Very funny, call me and my GH1s part of the early adopter crowd...

• It's interesting how some manufacturers are using early adopters as beta testers.

Additionally, their customers have now become their financiers. You pre-orders only to experience great delays, relief to get your device within a year. That isn't pre-ordering, that is a capital investment company X will now use to start manufacturing the camera they pre-sold.

I'll wait until after all the screaming, glitches & bugs, firmware update, 'beta testing' etc before I even take this camera seriously. The last 5 years in 'camera land' has taught me well.

• I'll be a guinea pig. I just sold my 7D, I can't imagine it will be worse.

• BMC did what the other camera manufacturers refused to do a true 2k / 1080p Raw / ProRes camera @ an affordable price point. 16mm size sensor is all good for me, I predict that this little beast will set an all time record in camera sells..

• Press release up, website down. They can't even sort out the hype.

EDIT: @TrackZillas , that was fun. I bet an all time record in canceled camera preorders due to production delays.

• You know, waiting on the BMCC didn't affect the price from what I could tell. That cam seems to hold its price well. The thing about a $1k camera like this is that it seems like a BMCC with a smaller form factor and some other changes but the experiences with the BMCC should help with the bug control, I would think. Of course, that's probably wishful thinking.

One other think about that active MFT mount, would it also support Panasonic OIS?

• @Raysito22

Nothing new. Last year was the same.

The sensor is exactly the same generation as the 2.5K BMCC, but it’s active area is 12.48 x 7.02mm, close to Super 16

http://johnbrawley.wordpress.com/2013/04/09/the-pocket-rocket-blackmagic-downsizes-the-bmcc-and-does-a-4k-upsize-of-the-orginal/