Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
A second body: NEX-3N or NEX-5N?
  • 34 Replies sorted by
  • At this point, the 3n body isn't available by itself, so below $400 is impossible . You can get a used 5n for less that $400 however. Also all quality judgements about the 3n are not based on any professional, or even user reviews. There are only "previews" so far for this camera. DXO speculates that the sensor is the same used in the f3. That said, the lens price itself is $350...so the camera is only costing $150. That's pretty hard to pass. The video quality is unknown. The verdict of whether it has the cleaner 5n image or the moire of the 5r.... is out. I would say ....if you're going to use it for photography the 3n will give the same results, and if you're going to use it for video, either buy the used 5n...or wait until there are some user opinions about video quality.

• I second @apefos ' advice. Buying these cameras is for size/stealth and then nex-3n is quite good with similiar specs. I also always thought the 50p on my NEX 5N to be a bit softer and mushier than 25p, so probably interpolating 50i/60i will not give so much difference. Premiere also interpolates interlaced footage by default when slowing down to 50%.

• My understanding of the subject is:

All Nex cameras with 16Mp have the same low light performance, I already downloaded and saw it.

If there is no EVF you can put a loupe in te LCD. 460k pixels LCD is good enough for focus, just confirm if it has magnification because even with 1000k dots LCD you will need magnification, so LCD resolution is not a reason to choose.

Nex-3N comes with a built in flash, makes it more portable. also body is smaller

Nex-3n comes wit a wider lens, 16mm instead of 18 and for APS-C this difference is important. Also the lens retracts making camera smaller to carry and zoom is motorized.

There is no mic input in both and the sony mic will not help anyway. external audio recording is a must for both.

Nex-3n LCD flips upwards which is enough. If you need it downards to shoot over your head invert camera orientation and it is done.

Both have 24p, but Nex-3n does not have 60p. You can do a interpolated deinterlace and turn 60i into 60p with small difference in resolution. I believe sony vegas can do this and also many other softwares including virtualdub/avisinth wich are free.

If you need a powerfull flash, both cameras are no go. Better to get a camera wit default flash shoe like T3i (more heavy and big)

Here, expected price for 3n is 60% the price for a 5n so it is the way to go.

• Just go pick up a used VG20 or 30, which was what I did. You don't have to contend with overheating issues, and it's a proper camcorder with sound controls.

• @Manu4Vendetta

May be go K-01 way? :-)

• Yes @Vitaliy_Kiselev, but are some more expensive; are about U$200-300 more, isnt much money, but I dont make money of photography or shorts and I dont have a great salary but spend a lot on this, I have to buy some adapters, card, second battery and my long-term goal is a Nokton which is very expensive. I love the NEX-6 -I dont understand why Sony did not touchscreen- but I dont break the piggy bank, although when I see the NEX-6 I feel tempted.

I only need a best camera for photo still -not traditional DSLR- and a think all NEX are good for that, but so produce good video to where it needs to complement the GH2.

• Huh, I think best idea to select among last generation - 5R ro 6.

• @xenogears, thanks. Some economical option to the Sony FDA-EV1S or is the only EVF forthe NEX-5N?

• The Nex 5n is better than the 3n, can adapt a Evf, 1080 at 60p, and i think is cleaner at low light. I have a full loaded 5n and now i gonna invest in a Gh3 with olympus lens.