Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Metabones lens speed booster adapter, focal reducer
  • 873 Replies sorted by
  • M4/3 was already built, and a reality, in prototype form, when they first went public. It's even going to be better, for us, than if the current optics were available at launch.

• Sweet, can't wait for it as I am in the the market for a tokina 11-16 zoom or better.

• Some interesting info about possible other mount problem with the SpeedBooster : http://www.metabones.com/speed-booster-questions

We will be looking into Canon FD, Minolta MD and Sony Alpha in the future. We do not have an estimated date yet. Disclaimer: this shall not be construed as a commitment to ship - we are not done prototyping any of these yet but we will conduct testing to decide if these lenses are free of interference issues with the optics of the Speed Boosters™ before we will be able to turn them into actual products.

• Patience, patience....

• If Metabones delivers the MFT version as promised in March, this will become an even bigger gold rush than the C-mount cult. Check out my second post in the thread below for a list of fast video-friendly Nikon, Samyang, Sigma, and Tokina manual-focus lenses:

http://www.personal-view.com./talks/discussion/859/video-friendly-lenses-for-lumix-dslrs/p1

I have the following lenses in Nikon mount and they all work great for video:

Sigma 20mm f1.8 --> 14mm f1.3

Sigma 28mm f1.8 --> 20mm f1.3

Samyang 35mm f1.4 --> 25mm f1.0

Samyang 85mm f1.4 --> 60mm f1.0

Nikon 105mm f2.0 --> 74mm f1.4

Tokina 20-35mm f2.8 --> 14-25mm f2.0

Tokina 28-70mm f2.8 --> 20-50mm f2.0

Sigma 70-200mm f2.8 --> 50-140mm f2.0

• @LPowell There gotta be much larger pools of DSLR lenses than C-mount lenses, I guess.

The bottleneck is availability and price of the adapter itself.

• Guys, will this change anything in regards to the widest lenses we could use in an anmorphic setup, meaning on my current setup, the widest lens i could use with my isco36 is a 28mm without vignetting , with the same setup plus the Metabones, can i use wider lenses without vignetting?

• or maybe that 28mm turns into a 20mm like lpowel just posted without any vignetting?

• @sammy I'm afraid not. Your 28 with the speedbooster will vignette like a 16mm lens. You will likely need a 50mm taking lens if you're using your ISCO36.

• @sammy, no it won't change it. The vignette is taking place at the front of the lens. Thos adapter will effectively resize the image projected at the sensor, vignette and all.

• It's not going to be near the problem 5D guys have shooting with anamorphics but it's going to be close. The LA2700 is the only one that's currently got a chance of shooting Speed Boosted anamorphic with a real wide angle, or reasonably wide angle. Century Optics will be next. I know I'm sure going to try and see how it looks but am coming to terms with making the most of the larger format feel when I can't shoot anamorphic, and then likely use the Speed Booster on anamorphic close-ups.

35mm anamorphic lenses only have to cover 21mm (whether or not they cover more) where a Speed Boosted GH2 will be more like 26.8mm. You'd have to go back to some wicked old large format anamorphic glass most likely, designed for blimped cameras the size of a Smart Car.

• @LPowell Nice assortment of glass. I literally have 3/4 of what you have plus a few more primes. Good stuff in there...good stuff.

• @LPowell, I know right. Time to kick it in high gear to look for some good zoom lenses.

• guys dont buy this thing. i bought a Leica R to nex. as the review says, its very bloomy when you shoot close to wide open. im trying to return it. I thought this thing would be a miracle piece of gear but its just not. Adding more glass between a lens and camera just isnt a good idea. I hate wasting money, i do it a lot.

• @cls105 We are professional money-wasters, don't worry.

Looking forward to converting my old Nikkor 35/1.4.

Lpowell, is your 85/1.4 sharp wide open? That would seem to be a good lens. I have the Nikkor 105 that's still good and would be an interesting focal length.

Great preview from dpreview, plus they finally clarified the light BS with "Because the F-number is the entrance pupil divided by focal length, reducing the focal length without changing the entrance pupil increases the F-number. So, adding the speed booster to a 50mm F1.4 lens turns it into a 35.5mm F1.0." That is the precise definition. Edit: I guess my brain is fried worse than theirs even n=f/d Thanks Balazer

d3dde849cf30fe0eed0a8cd345fbd3fa.png
    63 x 41 - 479B
  • Pixel vignetting... bummer... but I'm hopeful about using f/4.0 zooms on the adapter. But there are already m43 2.8 zooms with Power OIS.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev , thank you for sharing, great images on Flickr, very sharp.

• Not sure I would take a file to my Summicron like he did....ouch. Brave dude.

• I've been testing out my buddy's Canon EF lenses on Gh2. Very nice skintone color from 16-35mm, 24-70mm, and 70-200mm 2.8L. I had thought 24-105mm + Speed Booster might do it, but I'm not so sure after seeing such nice images from the lenses without a focal reducer. The 16-35 was parfocal, too. $600 + shipping for the adapter... I will stop thinking about it for now.

• @DrDave The Samyang/Rokinon 85mm f1.4 is not as sharp as the Nikon 105mm f2.0 at the widest apertures, but for video resolution it's more than sharp enough. For portrait photography I always use the Nikon, but it's a bit long for handheld video. What's really nice about the Rokinon are its compact size and lack of focus breathing, which make it perfect for use with a shoulder mounted follow focus.

• The Samyang/Rokinon 85mm f1.4 is not as sharp as the Nikon 105mm f2.0 at the widest apertures, but for video resolution it's more than sharp enough.

Samyang designers designed this lens intentionally not so sharp.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev Interesting. Why is this or should I ask this in the Rokinon Cine thread? I would just like to know for knowing sake.