Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Kinefinity Mini S35, sub $3000 raw camera

Note! It is only render and preliminary specs, but I like approach.

• S35 CMOS Sensor
    • No LCD
    • 12-bit Cinema DNG only
    • Double HDMI
    • Fanless
    • Standard cheap 2.5" SSDs for recording
    KineRAW1.jpg
    600 x 312 - 41K
    KineRAW_specs.jpg
    600 x 227 - 29K
    KineRAW2.jpg
    600 x 392 - 11K
  • 41 Replies sorted by
  • Ian_T LOL

• Ok...I take back my previous comment. I just don't like the image this camera makes. But the footage was well shot.

• Looks pretty nice. I'm not sure if it's the interior lighting or grading, but some does look video-ish.

• @vicharris - not on the mini. Unless, I'm missing something. The S35 version does have 2 SDI outs along with an HDMI, it's not really clear because it says "HD Digital ports", but it doesn't have a number of HDMI ports on the spec sheet.

• There's no SDI out?

• Better monitors usually have SDI. Most recorders do, as well.

• Couple of reasons for HDMI 1) Monitoring and 2) If they would allow 1080p 4:22 capture then you can capture on a Ninja or something similar (smaller files) Right now RAW is the only option.

• @mintcheerios - Why would I want HDMI? It's the vhs of connectivity aimed at households that don't want a bunch of cables.

On another note, It does look very dv-ish...

• @vicharris yeah, there's this footage which is hardly impressive and a few bits and bobs from the manufacturer so it's hard to know how it performs in comparison to other cams. But I'm with you on preferring the footage out of the BMC.

In any case, it's nice to have another option.

• Yeah, doesn't look that great but who knows what they did to the footage. I prefer the BM footage over this for sure though.

• Upscaled 720p 100fps

Looks video(y) though.

• Hmmm.....I think I'll get that camera. @Vitaliy maybe you should up the specs in the first post. I believe it now shoots 100 fps @720p. Also.....it not only shoots 2K...but 4K when you upgrade to their external recorder (which is future proofed for 6K capture). The bare camera costs $3,200 USD and the recorder costs the same.

If the image out of this thing sings (like I believe it will) then it has several things already OVER the upcoming BMCC4K (high frame rates for slow motion, better form factor, dual HDMI out, COST, etc.). The only issue I think some will have is no ProRes out....yet. They are constantly doing firmware upgrades to add new features (as witnessed by the announcement of higher frame rates). It's very modular (Nice).

• As it’s designed as a modular camera system, the KineRAW MINI will do 4K with external KineDECK recorder (release date 4th quarter 2013). Price TBA.

• Anyone still interested in this? I just got off the phone with a rep in Germany and it's available now. Once you add on all the modules (raw, wifi, etc.), the price jumps but it's still relatively affordable. I just wish there was more sample footage and hands on opinions.

• Somebody already did the preorder? Nobody answers email..

• I thought it was smaller than Epic/Scarlet or at least not bigger, doesn't really deserve to be named 'MINI' ;) I very much like the images out of Kineraw S35 though, very organic and cinematic looking, way more than BMC imo. Cineform offload option is also very nice and price of course is great.

• They are now reporting 13 stops in EI mode. It's definitely looking good on paper and has stuff the BMCC doesn't have. Cineform RAW, s35 sensor, HDMI, 720p 60p, and interchangeable mount. It's still a good chunk of change more expensive though.

• @DrDave, the next model up says it records CineForm RAW, the KineRAW-S35. The KineRAW-MINI specs read that a CineForm RAW offline file can be optionally created using the dedicated software as you are copying footage to the workstation.

I hope CineForm/GoPro will show their own prototype RAW camera at NAB 2013.

• Cineform Codec built in?