Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Shrigg Jig Production Cage
  • 58 Replies sorted by
  • @Shrigg Looks good, much cheaper than the ReWo cage too! Could you ship to the UK, and for how much?
  • shrigg, I shot them a message yesterday (via their web site) with what I wanted (cage,DSLR riser and carbon fiber rods > $149), I requested they send a paypal invoice. I see nothing as of this afternoon 12PM US mountain time.
  • @proaudio4

I'd suggest you give them a call: (319) 504-3985
  • proaudio4

In no way Indiesystem is internet company, they are mostly phone based company :-)
  • Ordered thanks. Due to arrive 8/12
  • The Shrigg cage got me interested in IndiSystem. I was wondering about extending the setup with a shoulder pad and handle(s). So, I decided to poke around to find some reviews. I'm pretty turned off after reading this thread:
    http://bit.ly/pVdZAB

Yes, there are some positive comments. But lots of issues with quality control and communication...
    Thoughts? Alternative POV?
  • well you know the only ones you ever hear from are the ones with problems....so I always take things like this with a grain of salt. Also the majority of those posts were from last year....so maybe he's got things straightened out.....we'll see. I'm calling now to order.....
  • Quality control is fine, after all it's just a chunk of aluminum that surrounds your camera.... If anything it's overbuilt which provides all the more protection/sturdiness. Communication: like I said, it's smart to just call Tim. I know Indisystem just launched a new website which should make online orders (finally) work... But a phone call never hurts. Yes, due to the DSLR craze Indisystem has seen a huge growth surge and there are now 10 employees. I heard that emails weren't getting through due to ISP overload which caused a lot of frustration/forum complaints. But in my experience Tim is excellent with support and follow through by phone. As a shooter, Tim understands our needs and goes all out to meet deadlines. I know I appreciate that! I expect the new site and staff to help operations get smoother.
  • FWIW, I bought the UltraCompact kit for $600, and they were great with communicating, the quality is VERY good for $600 (full setup of rails, handles, shoulder pad, QR plate, FF, Mattebox, Gears). Honestly, I've been using the Zacuto, Redrock etc. stuff at my internship, and the only slight advantage I can tell over the IndiSystem stuff is weight. That's one thing they got going . . . its not flimsy stuff.

IndiSystem stuff is a bit heavier, but with a lighter cam like the GH2, that helps keep things stable. I actually prefer Indi's tightening levers.

Their stuff is great for someone starting out like me, because I get a pretty good full kit to get familiar with, and as I get cash flow, I can swap out the FF, Mattebox, etc. piece by piece.

I got the impression that when Indi started out, things were pretty bad, but most talk I've heard about them recently has been positive.
  • So I just got mine and at the risk of sounding like the village idiot.....how the hell do I attach the camera to the mount?? Do I have to scrounge up my own bolts?? The way the cage is mounted to the riser there is no way to put a bolt in there. The hole in the cage is blocked by the riser.....and if I spin the cage on the riser 180 the cage hole "almost" lines up with the slot in the riser. The riser slot partially blocks the hole in the cage.....so there is no way to get any bolt in it to attach to the camera(that I can see)?????
    My other concern (which I should have seen from the pictures) is that when mounted on a tripod, because of where you HAVE to mount it(under the camera) it seems to me that with a matte box, FF, and fairly big lens that it's going to be very front heavy and a bit@h to balance on a tripod......

Mark
  • The cage is attached to the riser/rods with a 1/4-20 hex bolt. You'll need to remove that to attach the cage to the camera with another 1/4-20 hex bolt. All the needed 1/4-20 hex bolts and appropriate allen keys should be included, double check your box!
  • >You'll need to remove that to attach the cage to the camera with another 1/4-20 hex bolt

Sounds like design flaw.
  • @Vitaliy_Kiselev

> Sounds like design flaw.

I never considered it a big deal as cage/rods setups are usually an assemble once and leave it alone sort of thing... I've never taken my cage off once it was on.

If I was rigging the camera up high or balancing it on a steadicam I'd consider disassembling but those are the only reasons I'd ever take it out of the cage
  • OK...I'll have to pick up a bolt as the only one I got is for the top of the camera...the hot shoe.....no big deal.
    If my matte box ever gets here on the slow boat from China, we'll see about the balance....but I can already see that's going to be a problem.

Mark
  • It's *supposed* to come with a baggie full of bolts... Sorry bout that.

As far as balance, I balance my setup with pretty heavy lenses plus big Chrosziel mattebox by keeping everything slid rearward... A long tripod plate helps. If you have a short plate Tim has made up some long plates to move the balance point. Just give him a call. You can complain about the missing bag o bolts too, lol
  • @marks

aside from the lack of bolts and the possible balance issue,
    how are you finding the rest of the cage?
    is it well built?
    I'm thinking of ordering one pretty soon.

Thanks
  • @shrigg
    Mine didn't come with much hardware either -- one screw I think, or instructions. Are we supposed to secure it by the GH2's hotshoe as well? And do you know of any quick release plates that work with it? Cullmann is too big.
    Build quality is good
  • @brianluce

yes the hot shoe attaches using the union bolt and nut. Just refer to the above pictures of mine, that should explain
  • Still offering these cages for $99!
  • Shrigg, do I just call the number, or do I just contact your good self?
  • Call the number on the indisystem.com website to order!
  • Cool. Thanks.
  • I have mine and i can say is a really nice cage for the GH series, cheap and very strong, with many holes, not big at all, i´m using with a Sony nex 5n too, but i will ask to Tim if can build me one a inch higher for the nex using a base plate. this cage is very usefull.

I contacted Tim by email cause i´m from Venezuela, he was very kindly to send me t Miami and from there to Venezuela, no problem at all, totally recomended.

Here´s some pictures using the Nex 5n.
    Nex5n-Shrigg Jig Cage 109.jpg
    987 x 1024 - 292K
    Nex5n-Shrigg Jig Cage 110.jpg
    1024 x 576 - 137K
    Nex5n-Shrigg Jig Cage 111.jpg
    1024 x 768 - 248K
    Nex5n-Shrigg Jig Cage 112.jpg
    1024 x 768 - 234K
  • @everyone What rail blocks you are using with your Shrigg Jig? I haven't used it yet, but I noticed some people weren't happy with the Indisystem rail block. So if you can post up a link and maybe a photo it would be much appreciated.
  • @Greek_m43 I use the Gini DSLR riser, the first post shows it.