Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
GH3 user reviews and opinions
  • 1089 Replies sorted by
  • Hi,

I own Gh3 since xmas and have done several jobs. Picture quality (MOV IPBmodes) is a little superior to any DSLR I have worked with (5D, 7D, GH2). Extras towards video work (mic input, headphones output, manual audio, codecs, etc) are very welcome and now testing it for ENG work:

-Zoom lens Olympus Zuiko 12-60 f2.8-4-->probably the best lens for ENG work? (b4 mount ENG lens not tested) zoom lens is quite fast, very good quality, good zoom range, quite good handling... overall a excelent compromise of all features.

-Audio: I am starting to test ETSLAN PA912 (www.etslan.com) audio cable that converts Balanced mic signal to unbalanced minijack. If it works as promised, it could be a far better solution than separate recording (zoom H4n, tascam dr-40) or audio mixer (beachtek, juicedlink). Here I will keep informed of audio test and evaluation:

http://pospotime.wordpress.com/2013/03/12/improving-dslr-audio-the-3rd-way/

I would appreciate comments, other tests, etc, on ENG solutions to Gh3.

Thanks

• I was mislead in the beginning about AVCHD 25 fps because of the 50i name, but after some dinging I found that it is a 50i from 25p and has no sacrifice of resolution. I'm inspecting the shutter speed behavior now. If 1/25s can be used than it is better than mp4 option.

• For long shooting thats a fair point @Eno

• @toxotis70 I also tried AVCHD and it is OK, thanks. I also compared all the 25p options: mov 50 MB/sec IPB, mov 70 Mb/sec ALL-i, AVCHD 50i (from 25p), and mp4 20 Mb/sec. The best of course is the mov IPB.

• I started with the D5000, and my kit immediately became too large for me to care to bring along anywhere. When I decided to try again and bought the GH3, I ended up with a kit I no longer need to think much about bringing with me - I bring it if I think about bringing it. The house, 12-35, 35-100, 7.5mm, VND, polarizer and mini gorillapod fits into the Lowepro Event Messenger 100, the smallest in the series. If I need a flash and a proper tripod I am of course back in thinking-trouble again.

So if you are just a lazy hobbyist like me, wondering between those two options, the picture/image quality is just a small fraction of what should be considered - those two cameras are in this case apples and oranges. If photo/video is your profession (or you aspire to use this gear to make it your profession) I see however that things are tipped in this direction of course, and DR, moire, and other IQ characteristics could or should be overriding factors.

(just wanted to remind the few other lazy hobbyists like me that read here or drop by here from google to not get so caught up in the IQ pixel peeping investigations that they forget about the other aspects which may be just as important)

• you are thinking very wrong !!! You have to shoot with THE BEST settings for every camera. MP4 is a bad codec, not only a lower bitrate codec…. You could also use AVCHD .

• @tenpoundpillow I used 24 Mb/sec on D5200 and 20 Mb/sec on GH3, full HD 25 fps. But this could be deduces from the video properties. I tried to mach the bit rate as closed as possible. I know that 50 Mb/sec IPB is much better but I wanted to compare them on similar bit rate. Anyway even on 20 Mb/sec GH3 is clearly more detailed, and the noise structure is more pleased than D5200 (GH3 has a more film like noise).

@windsurf I used the same settings, this is the only important thing. I forgot what, I had 5 minutes to make the test or so...

By the way, I have 2 GH3's so I don't think I cold have wanted to make D5200 look better.

I think D5200 on default stings has a strong NR applied because at high ISO it generates ugly macro-blocking in the shadows, but I didn't had time to do more testing.

For my needs, I like GH3 a lot more than D5200, and 20 Mb/sec, 25 fps, .mp4 seems to do decent job. I will use this format a lot for wedding work; the 50 M/sec IPB will be reserved for documentary's, because I can not cover 10 hours of filming with it.

• Vitaly, driftwood… If you auprés of the influence of the equipe of Pana… Thank you for suggesting them a list of modifications for the frimware that they are going to correct in a few weeks

• @Eno Thank you for your test..just a question.. You say that both camera have the same settings (shutter..iris..).. may you please specify what are these values..? Aperture and ShutterTime.. Thank you very much for the time you dedicate in reply..

• @Eno mp4 modes are vastly inferior to the IPB mov modes.

• Eno why would you shoot the GH3 for a test without using the best codec option?

• Hey Eno, I have a quick question. Do you know what settings you shot the GH3 at? Specifically, was it 24p 50mbps? I know there is an .mp4 option in the camera, which is like 12mbps, or maybe low 20's, but the point is it's much lower quality. When reviewing the files, I see that the data rate for the d5200 is about 20mbps (which is correct), and the gh3 is only 11mbps. This could also be because of exporting maybe?

I'm curious because it might not be a fair comparison of what each is capable of. I actually tested a gh3 recently, and on my system it has a data rate of 49mbps, not 11, as was with the videos you posted. I'm not saying you're trying to purposely make the 5200 look better, just curious if you know for sure you filmed in 50mbps mode. Thanks!

• please help...

• I made a non scientific test between Panasonic GH3 and Nikon D5200:

http://we.tl/sHhJKeRESo

The .mov files are D5200, and .mp4 files areGH'3 files. The first video was at ISO 200, then 1600, 3200 and 6400. Default neutral settings on both cameras and the same shutter, iris etc. Gh3 films are a little bit wider, sorry, and the WB was left to auto because of the several light sources.

• The EVF on mine is really nice. Yes, its field of view is not too wide, but if you use it as designed it looks wonderfully sharp, at least with my camera. By the way, some said before that the card door opens too easily; the sliding lock on my camera's card door is also very safe.

• Got the GH3 today. B&H was a pleasure as usual. I have not done much shooting, just learning the camera and the functions. So here is some first impressions.

Background: As for still/video, I am just a family shooter. I had a GH1 being replaced as I screwed up the GH1.

Body: Reading the comments, I was a expecting a behemoth of a camera that ran against the very principles of micro four thirds systems. As I took the body in hand, I felt that this still a small camera compared to the Nikons and Canons of the world.. I put the 14-140 lumix lens and immediately the heft was obvious, but the bulk was not so much different to a GH1. If shoot long hand held, it is going to make me feel about the weight with heavy lenses. But this is still a LOT better than a APS-C SLRs with a matching lens. Confirmation that, for my uses m4/3 is still the best system. The ruggedness and weather proof nature of the body is not lost on me, but being a smaller camera the GH3 do not flaunt it the way a bigger camera do :). may be the battery grip will finally make the GH3 appear like rugged machine :)

The strap - At last a proper strap. The original GH1 had complaints about the camera strap coming off. My GH1 was a slightly later batch and did not have any problem. But still I never risked holding the camera by strap, especially with heavier lenses. GH3 feel solid in that regard.

Screen - Very nice and this is major step up from the GH1. The screen of GH1 in bright sunlight was hardly visible. This look different. Crisp and contrasty. EVF could be better, though I seldom use it. The touch is very responsive and is another way you feel the upgrade from a GH1. The display update is near instantaneous unlike the GH1 and you will forget you are not using the optical ones.

Controls, Buttons, Layout. - This is a huge plus. I have not dabbled in pro gear before, so I did not miss much from lack of buttons on GH1. GH3 has more controls and dials and customizations and once used to, there is no going back. With GH1, I always used to press the video record button by accident and stopped recording when I actually wanted to record video, missing many shots. GH3 controls are better laid out and very convenient. While I did not realize this when I was debating between GH3 and OMD EM-5, the additional buttons and dials give GH3 a certain advantage.

Startup, AF speed etc: Near instant and very responsive. Another big improvement over the GH1. The touch focus is very nice, but I have not done enough. Need to check various AF modes more thoroughly.

Wi-fi - I feel a lot of a potential here. I have just fiddled with it briefly, it works and display update on the mobile app is very fast, but the app still need some fine tuning. I hope they will have more X series lens with power zoom and the ability to control them through the apps and screen. I wish the 12-35 and 35-100 were PZ models :)

Battery: A huge plus over GH1, GH2 and possibly OMD EM5. I did buy a spare battery but I do not foresee much use for that. Earlier on vacations, I used to have my shooting hampered by the battery (i had a spare GH1 battery as well).

Hack: For once I am not holding my breath for the hack :). Immediate reward would be for PAL/NTSC conversion without losing the 50P/60P mode. I feel the video may be sufficient as is for my needs and the hack when it happens hopefully improve usability and stills as well. Exposing the IP control protocols to the world would be nice, if it is possible. I hope third party apps become a possibility with the hack.

• Got it. I'm really torn right now between spending money on this when I already have two GH2's that work just fine. It did feel nice to hold though and the screen is awesome. Throw a Varavon Loupe on it and that's a nice upgrade in itself for pulling focus. Not to mention whatever extra DR you get!

• @vicharris I don't know Vic. My hotshoe is solid, at least for now. I'm going to spend most of tomorrow testing if I can find some place dry and I can give a little better opinion then.

• I almost pulled the trigger on one a few days ago. Should I do it now or what till they have a few more things figured out like this hotshoe issue?

• @timfrakes - let's see some footage

• I just got the battery charged and stuck on a 14-140 lens which was way too slow for this room. First impression of the sensor is that it's much better in low light than the GH2 and the lens didn't hunt. I started playing with the controls and it was like an old friend. Panasonic must have been hanging around a 7D because they are laid out very much alike,,,,it even has the level.

I had some moire with the 14-140 but otherwise it looked great considering where I was. I switched to the Samyang 24 and the moire went away.

So far I haven't found anything I didn't like except the data disappearing every ten seconds...hopefully Vitally can fix that.

• Tried out the variable frame rate function with my GH3. 300% sped up to 1,000% in FCP7.

• @Stranger

It is standard for Panasonic.

• Hi I just got my GH3 on a trip to the states and expected this to do 50P and 60P as in the publicity. There is no menu I can find to swap between NTSC / PAL like the UK version and also cannot choose 50P instead of 60P. Am I stuck with NTSC frame rates or have I not found a hidden option ? Has anyone had this experience ? I would be very pleased to get any help.

• I had the chance to try GH3 as I travelled to Hawaii the last 2 weeks. I just went through the footage. (will be featured on my vimeo account)

GH3 overall image quality in really nice (.Mov 50 Mbs 24p) However the moire issue is revolting and hard to understand as GH1/GH2 main asset was the lack of moiré (compared to 5DMII) Secondly I share the feeling of fuzzy (unsharp) Viewfinder with is very annoying as I am 100% rack focusing shooter. (especially in outdoor condition) I'm not very satisfied with the slightly different framing compared to GH2 (due to a different video area cropped on sensor) The body increased size and built quality is awesome. New dial wheels (3 wheels is total) and fast dials are great. The codec and format options too. Interval timer is great (not yet tried)

So in the end I really don't understand the 2 majors drawbacks I mentionned aboved. I do hope focus picking will be added in firmware update to help Manual focusing.