Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Chinese offer tablets with Retina screen
  • They use RK3066, now it is best Chinese chip (double core 1.5Gz and 4 core GPU).

• 27 Replies sorted by
  • @Vitaliy_Kiselev

"In detail - you need this only for applications requiring low level USB protocols, not for basic devices (3G modems, drives, etc)."

Vitaliy is correct. For simple usage and to enable infinite possibility and compatibility with any Apps, you just have to root it and some work on it. But as to use the USB port as a host for interface apps like DSLRController(BETA), you have to do a next step in hacking and replacing some of the files to enable the USB to be used with the OTG for what you want @m_c

On the resolution, I think Vitaliy did posted on this forum regarding the Nexus 10. I recommend that model for the purpose with the DSLRController(BETA).

• Will look at Android OS tablets at store to find one with good/accurate image quality, then apply this solution. Thanks

• How is the screen quality on the pipo U1 - would you say it's close Google Nexus 7?

Both are not very good. As they all fight for maximum brightness.

May be some 10" are better. Also retina screens must be not so bad (but worse than on iPad, as no one is making proper check and panel calibrations).

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev Thanks. Much appreciated. Will look at details this week. How is the screen quality on the pipo U1 - would you say it's close Google Nexus 7?

• @matt_gh2

http://www.slatedroid.com/topic/39203-usb-host-on-pipo-u1/

Just spend small time, download root app (check same category of that forum), set tablet to debug mode in menu, cinnect to computer, install driver, run root app, copy one simple file, and use your software.

• @kicap @Vitaliy_Kiselev If anyone is able to get a tablet to function as a live view monitor, that would be big. I say that as the image quality on these inexpensive tablets seems to be more accurate than the TFT (or other reasonably priced) monitors. These current monitors always seem all grayed out/washed out. I think the 10" tablets are the right size as you can really start to see whats properly in focus. (Exposure/color seems to be easy to judge on 10"&7").

My technical skill isn't at the level where I could contribute, but I'm willing to donate, and urge others to as well, if anyone believes they can take on the project/task.

• No, you can't use the DSLR Controller (BETA) App using any of the RK3066 so far because the USB port is not permitting it for some reason.

Issue here is post dates and firmware versions.

Rooting device is 1-2-3. ADB debug works.

OK, I do not see any "most RK3066 tablet is not compatible" in this topic.

All I see that this guys are incapable to install simple ADB driver and click on two buttons (to root device).

They told that it seems that proper XML config files for Android for OTG must be present and/or fixed.

In detail - you need this only for applications requiring low level USB protocols, not for basic devices (3G modems, drives, etc).

• @m_c

No, you can't use the DSLR Controller (BETA) App using any of the RK3066 so far because the USB port is not permitting it for some reason. You can discuss this in lengthy at http://www.slatedroid.com/topic/37528-pipo-up-u1/page__st__100__gopid__421220#entry421220 for details.

I don't want to argue here if someone is capable of doing it.

As for GH3, I believe any tablet will be able to communicate with it as long as it is equipped with WiFi connectivity. GH2 has to be done through USB OTG cable and most RK3066 tablet is not compatible.

• @m_c

I do not know that you mean.

If you mean getting liveview and ability to change some settings via wi-fi, it is only available on GH3.

• @kicap Can you use DSLR controller with GH2 and this tablet(or any other tablet) as a monitor?

i would also love to know this

• Oops. Thanks.

• @stonebat

This topic is about 9.7" tablets.

As for U1 tablet, it is 7" 1280x800 IPS screen.

• NM. The $139 is not retina screen, right?

• @stonebat

It depends from your tasks. Nexus 7 has higher quality and better quality control. But at 2x the price.

As for 4.2, do you need it? I do not know about 4.2 support. May be yes, may be not.

Do they have active user group?

Theyu have user groups in some countries of large tablet related forums. :-)

• Nexus 7 32GB is $250 + shipping. It's not retina screen. No micro sd expansion. But it seems hugely popular.

Is U1 retina going to support 4.2? How's the support? Do they have active user group?

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev Thanks for the heads up on these tablets - they look like great value. Do you think they could be used to review GH2 video taken in the field. I use a Sandisk 64GB Extreme Pro SD card, and would like to take a shot on the GH2 to test, then take card out and put it into the tablet to watch the shot and see if it looks good. So 2 questions here 1) Can I do this with this tablet and my SD cards to review footage in the field, and 2) How is the picture quality - are the colors fairly accurate when viewing footage?

@kicap Can you use DSLR controller with GH2 and this tablet(or any other tablet) as a monitor?

Thanks.

• Thanks. This is ridiculously cheap. The rumored Google Nexus7 32GB might be 2.5x more expensive.

• Can U1 take 64gb micro sdhc card?

Not sure here. But sure about 32Gb.

Freescale 4 core based tablets (see blog post) have two micro SD slots, one being inside and containing all firmware and Android :-).

Transfer files from a camera via the mini usb port?

Yep, if camera is USB mass storage mode.

• Can U1 take 64gb micro sdhc card?

Transfer files from a camera via the mini usb port?

• @brianluce

5 hours against 9 hours on Nexus.

China guys do not make agressive power optimizations for their tablets usually.

Of course, my comment is only about specific tablet - Pipo U1, not all of them in general.

Pipo is using smallest battery amongst modern dual core 7" tablets.

As I understand retina models have largest batteries from 9.7" RK3066 tablets.

• So saying the battery doesn't last as long as branded, roughly by how much? Does it last around 80% as long?

• I have bought the newly launch Pipo U1 tablet from China manufacturer which has RockChip (RK) hardware and runs on JellyBean (Android 4.1). To my surprise there is so many problems with the "brain" with this new android software that I need to "Root" (jailbreak) the tablet in order for it to support most of the available apps.

As an owner of same tablet I can just tell you to install latest firmware :-) All will work without any strange measures.

But root is also very easy for this tablet, if you want :-)

But using the tablet by itself like iPad for browsing and playing video is not recommended.

Why? It sound funny. This thing plays video absolutely fine. Yes, battery won't hold so long as brand tablets (btw, it is because same brand tablet will have more weight having bigger battery and also very conservative power optimizations).

As for browsing, this I do not understand at all. You need browsing on tablet for minimum 8 hours? LOL.

I am very tempting to try to purchase this as the resolution looks amazingly high! I will investigate more before purchasing and do let me know if anyone has purchased this high definition tablet too ok!

All such tablets are going right from wheels.

They start production and ship instantly, frequently fixing firmware bugs afterwards. It is extremely competitive market.

If you look at Chinese gadgets market you'll see all the same properties as US market in 70s and early 80s.