Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Beginners: Basic hacks questions
  • 1012 Replies sorted by
  • @sanzadez

They become your words when you state them. :) We will just have to see about changing the FAQ then. Won't we?

• MPGXSVCD: "@Jaapsb Post a sample so we can see what is going on. Just post it to youtube or something. IS is image stabilization. With the 14-42mm it is controlled in the menu."

Ok, I had the image stabilization alsways on mode 1, can this be the reason of jitter ? It's to dark outside now, to try again. Here is my test of today; mode S, 720, 100, autoiso, lens 14-42 on 14, sanity 3.1 on it, IS mode 1.

Just a small test with moving the cam. It's already much better, but not what it needs to be I think?

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8309705/00011.MTS

If someone wants to look for me ? Thanks in advance for the great help already!

• 24H MODE VS HBR MODE QUESTION SURROUNDING 25P:

I've installed the @driftwood AQuamotion hack v2 which has blown me away. I have shot test footage today in every video setting and received an average bitrate of around 90mbps in its highest quality mode (24H). However, this shoots at a frame rate of 24fps (or more accurately 23.98).

I am based in the UK so I favour 25fps shooting (PAL).

Shooting in High Bitrate mode (HBR) allows me to shoot at this desired frame rate (PAL 25p). However, I have noticed that the bitrate is significantly lower in this mode when shooting with the Aquamotion v2 hack. My tests (shooting the same water fountain) averaged at around the 60mbps mark as opposed to 90.

My question is this: how can I up the bitrate in the HBR mode which shoots at my desired 25p? I can't see any options for this in the PTool program, only 24H, 24L, FSH/SH and FH/H. I presume the HBR setting adopts the bit rate from one of these? If so, which one exactly?

I also read that in the 25p mode, it's not "real" 25p. If this is true can somebody explain what's happening here please?

If it is the case that it's not "true" 25p, would you recommend I actually shoot in 24H after all and convert to 25p Prores for editing?

I'd love to know your thoughts on the matter.

Many thanks.

• @Jaapsb i have it some times.
    Did you have I.DYNAMIC on?
    Also in the profile that you use, set it all to -2 -2 -2 -2
    And try it again... must be better then...

• Yes, I had it on this time,

But I think it was also when switched off, because it was there when filming in ia mode.

• So, I've hacked my GH2 with the EOSHD Unified patch (88 Mbit). Everything seems fine in e camera. The ISO 12800 option is available and I'm only allowed to film for 22 minutes on my 16GB card. However, when I import my movies to my Mac (I've tried both iMovie and Adobe Bridge), the filesizes are as big as before and I really can't see any difference between the old and the new movies. How can I double check that my material actually is comming out at 88 Mbit?

• @Speldosa the easiest way to do this is to play the file in the latest version of VLC Media Player, hit ctrl+i (or cmd+i on a mac) or click Window (in the menu) then Media Information. Click 'Statistics' and look at what the 'input bitrate reads at'.

• @dualreality: AQuamotion was developed for firmware version 1.0, which did not include 25p or 30p HBR modes. If you want to use 25p, you should look at the newer settings that are designed for firmware version 1.1 (i.e. PTools 3.64d).

That said, you'll be disappointed to learn that because of the way HBR is encoded in the camera, it has been difficult for settings developers to achieve the same level of image quality and bit rates in these HBR modes as we are accustomed to in 24p, which remains the highest quality mode for film production. However, if you absolutely need 25p, there are settings that will get you much better quality than stock firmware (just not quite as good as 24p). @Driftwood's latest efforts (Orion, Sedna, etc.) seem to be focused primarily on maximizing quality on the 24p settings, which is now quite excellent indeed, but some 25p shooters have complained that quality in that area is not as high, so you may wish to explore some other well-regarded settings, such as Sanity by @Ralph_B and Cake by @Balazar.

• mpgxsvcd, I'm not sure how you're concluding that ETC has more jello than normal mode. I definitely see less jello in ETC, independent of the angle of view.

• @jaapb in IA mode its also on, ALWAYS, it collors yellow when its getting active when shooting

• @mozes, but must the dynamic be on or off ??

I am going to try again today, with all new tips..

• @dualreality: Thanks, I will check it out. However, even if it would say for exameple 88 Mbit, I could not believe this since the file size isn't bigger than before.

• @balazer

This has to be shown to be understood. I will try to make a video showing you what I mean.

• @dualreality: VLC says that it can't play the file because it is an ICOD-file :S

• hi all,

i'm a new GH2 user...i initially installed a couple patches (sedna) with no problems. but lately, i've been trying to install new patches (v4d, v4b)...but everytime i load new patch into camera, the camera says i have 3 hours and 3 mins recording time--on a 32 gb card.

something is wrong, right?

does anybody have any idea of what may be going on? i'm installing same way originally...but now seem to be having problems.

could it have to do with the re-naming process? the first patch i loaded, i re-named GH2__V12.bin. but once i started with the additional patches, i didn't maintain order and named then GH2_V14.bin, GH2_V17.bin, etc.

thanks for any advice. goro

• @Jaapsb i dont no, i have tried it.
    In some cases its beautiful, but most off the time its just to much.

• Hello everyone just a quick question. I have hacked my GH2 using the no adverse settings hack and am using a 16 GB Sandisk Extreme 30 MB/s. When I take video I am able to watch it back on the camera no problem, but when I transfer it to my computer it will play for a little bit and then just stop playing. I use VLC to watch the videos and I see that the timebar at the bottom is still moving, but there is no movement in the picture. Does that mean that the hack is too detailed for my computer's hardware and is causing the hangup? Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!

• VLC is too slow for a lot of these settings although I never had any trouble with no adverse affects.

Try Splash Lite. It's free and works pretty well.

• Hi all, can i upgrade my gh2 firmware to 1,1 ( http://panasonic.net/avc/lumix/systemcamera/gms/gh2/index.html ) without loosing the warranty ?

• @Peternap is there a mac version? or a player I can use for mac? thanks a lot for your help!

• Sedna 25pHBR and 72050p is pretty darn good. Its 72060p and 30p HBR which is a problem for EVERY setting I have ever seen to date and tested by our Driftwood Squad - whether my setting or other peoples - I can make them all fail or they just look poor.

• Just in case anyone else runs into the issue Neko30 I had, I wanted to mention the cause in this case.

Under OS X, there are sometimes minor issues with window switching for X11/Wine/etc. That means that sometimes when you go from one window to another and click a button in the new window, it switches but does not register the button click.

I encounter this all the time in GIMP so when I was helping Neko30 it was one of the first things we checked and it solved the problem right off the bat.

So if you have trouble with loading patch settings, try double clicking the letter buttons at the bottom instead of single-clicking them to load the settings before saving firmware.

• I was testing some hack's and have found V4B ORION, to be the hack I like the best. I'm going to be shooting a short movie (22 minutes) with this V4B, and a lot of the footage is in a car, with many different mounting points, the hood, the door, and the windshield, as well as tracking shots from another vehicle. The background for this sequence and most of the movie is the desert! There will be one seen with a lot of motion within the frame, but these shot's will be on stix and a jib. How would you think the V4B ORION, will hold up? GH2 SANDISK EXSTREME PRO 95MB/s 32GB & 64GB. 24P Cinema. 24H. 160 to 320 - ASA, ND3, ND6, ND9. 1/50 to ? shutter. Vibrant/Standard/Cinema/Nostalgic. Leaning towards Vibrant! Recording times can be up to 4 minutes? ( Will the card record this length consistently without cutting off) Most of the vibration in the car is minimal, yet still there. I'm dumping the card's to a NEXTO 500GB field hard drive. So I think the 27 minutes run time I'm getting on the 32gb card's will not be a problem as I will always have a card ready! I will really be pushing the GH2 and ORION, so just wanted to run it by some of you masterminds here before I committed to ORION V4B, CBR. ( She sure does look pretty )

Thank you all for any idea's or suggestions

Broatch

Venice CA

• Didn't notice any solution to the green tint in the GH2 footage posted some time back. The fix is to go into WB, adjust , then go 2 clicks left, 1 click down and save.

• Using the CBrandin 44mbps on the PTools, do I need to check mark the GOP Length option (12)? What exactly is the benefit of having GOP 12 vs not having it?

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions