Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Official Low GOP topic
  • 1003 Replies sorted by
  • @driftwood

well... if you are going to go that far try upping FB1 FB2 and frame limit to 3x.

Chris
  • @stefanos You got it.

@driftwood 200Mbps sound scary!!! 110Mbps gave something close to 115Mbps average video rate.

I did some motion test. When a camera is stable and taking detailed scene, I-frame stayed around 9Mb. As soon as it began moving, I-frame size dropped and B-frame got beefed up where the size of I-frame kept above B-frame. Max B-frame size stayed around 5Mb. As soon as the camera was stabilized and focused on a detailed scene, the I-frame size restored to 9Mb and B-frame size got tamed to little above 3Mb.

The codec worked beautifully. I'll get some beer and celebrate. Gotta order Rokinon 35mm, too. Double celebration WooHoo!!!!
  • @All Here's a GOP3 test to keep you up. videobitrate 24H = 200mbps. Pappas death chart stable.
    200mbps GOP3 with AQ=2 - FB1FB2FBLimit = 1.5 multiplier - pappas death test chart.png
    1415 x 764 - 337K
    200mbps GOP3 motion test with AQ=2 - FB1FB2FBLimit = 1.5 multiplier - pappas death test chart.png
    1317 x 688 - 92K
  • @stefanos

Yes, the GOP 3. I think it will keep up with motion just fine. Also, the individual frame quality will be better than is possible with GOP 1. It's perfect for me.

Chris
  • @stonebat thanks, so GOP1 is probably a bit more geared towards motion improvements and GOP3 bit more for static detail improvements?
    @cbrandin the GOP3 right? :)
    @driftwood thanks again.
  • @driftwood

Magnificent! I think you just came up with my new personal settings. Thanks.

Chris
  • Stop beeing so emotional @driftwood !! Joking, well done sir, thanks.
    Edited : nevermind my question...
    Thanks again (thx also to the Musketeers who helped!)
  • GOP1 might have much less motion artifact as there are nothing but I-frames, but it lowers the bit size of I-frame.

GOP3 might have little more motion artifact as there are B-frames, but it raises the bit size of I-frame.
  • @driftwood
    thank you for your efforts dude! very cool, will test tomorrow.
    can someone briefly explain the differences between 100mbps GOP1 and GOP3- pros + cons please?
  • @driftwood You did awesome job. Thanks man. 100Mbps GOP3 AQ2 Stable Cadence!!! 110Mbps worked fine, too.
  • @Stonebat - I feel a little taken aback by VKs comment earlier. Ive been toying with a ton of settings before I settled on the 24p Video Buffer being my main problem - but it got me to 100mbps on GOP1 and GOP3. If other more experienced ptools users can take it further then fine! The settings I posted were always geared towards 1080/24p 24H. In future I wont check (or leave unchecked) settings not required. Sorry once more VK.
  • I hope somebody tests this case, too.

Take high details on a tripod. Wait 30 seconds. Start panning. Not too fast. Just slow enough to keep the I-frame size high. Not too slow. Just fast enough to raise B-frame size. That will stress the codec. Actually this case seems very practical...
  • Awesome. Can you try motion, too? Just move around and see how the sizes of I and B frames change.

The more details, the higher I-frame size. The more motion, the higher B-frame size.
  • @Stonebat heres the 100mbps death chart with all of settings PROPERLY checked! Ill try pushing the bit rate more but we're probably hitting ther boundaries soon...
    corrected - 100mbps GOP3 with AQ=2 - FB1FB2FBLimit = 1.5 multiplier - pappas death test chart.png
    1407 x 779 - 333K
    corrected GOP3 100mbs - FBs x1.5- aq2 - setg.zip
    435B
    INFORMATION corrected - 100mbps GOP3 with AQ=2 - FB1FB2FBLimit = 1.5 multiplier - pappas death test chart.png
    406 x 319 - 17K
  • @driftwood Waiting for your pappas chart of death test result. Please post your settings!!! It will be super
  • @Vitaliy_Kiselev You are being a bit harsh?! I forgot to check those FB & limits in my last tests thats all!
  • I think... 100Mbps is getting choked. Raise the overall rate more.

Video Bitrate 24H=110000000
    1080p24 T4=1080p24 T1
  • @stonebat Nice! I tried chris exact settings for FB1 FB2 and Limit - the result is the pappas chart of death below, as u can see the i frames stabilise to the same size as the B frames.

Note: ignore last test - redoing it - i forgot to check a few boxes, now Im getting f*ckin grief!
  • 1080i50 and 1080p24 GOP Size=3
    Video Bitrate 24H ADD=100000000 < -- remove this
    Video buffer=0x3000000 < -- not necessary
    Video buffer 24p=0x3600000
    1080p24 FB1=1175040 < -- FB2/FBL absent

@driftwood
    You are full of posts and emotions, but very low on value.
  • Chris, ta for the FB tips. Charts below = Latest GOP 3 Test. Pappas Death Chart 2 min test = Success. FB1/FB2/FB Limit 1.5 multiplier. The I frames have dropped btw - The images look G-R-E-A-T!!! Here's the latest settiings attached. Enjoy!
    (NB this test was conducted only for 24H 1080p24)
    Note: Sorry forgot to check the boxes for FB2 and Limit. I'm tired VK gimmee a break!
    100mbps GOP3 with AQ=2 - FB1FB2FBLimit = 1.5 multiplier - pappas death test chart.png
    1407 x 838 - 425K
    Driftwood - 100 mbps GOP3 - FB1FB2FBL=1.5 multiplied on original AQ = 2 - - setg.zip
    424B
  • @driftwood Try exactly as Chris and VK advised. T4=T1, 1.5x on FBs and EFL, AQ2. Also 110Mbps!!! It passed my bush of death test.
    110M-3GOP-AQ2-1.5X.jpg
    1273 x 673 - 329K
  • @driftwood

You're getting a little detail pulsing there - maybe drop AQ to 2? Have you tried setting FB1, FB2, and frame limit to 1.5x the default?

Chris
  • GOP3 100mbps with QA = 3. Pappas chart = Success.
    VK / Chris: 1080p24 T4 = T1 - any recommednations?
    100mbps GOP3 with AQ=3 pappas death test chart.png
    1416 x 781 - 354K
  • @bannedinv Go for it. 3 GOP looks stunning! 1 GOP is incredible too.
  • @ driftwood : Testing your settings with 100mbs - gop1 high and 50mbps gop1 low now
This topic is closed.
← All Discussions