Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
The Definitive Hackintosh topic
  • 359 Replies sorted by
  • I have a PC with i7-950, 16GB RAM, Asus P6X58D-E, internal WD 1.5TB with data and 500GB with Windows 7.
    After Effects crashes once in a while, and also does Resolve. Render times are quite slow also.
    I was thinking about buying a new SSD and following a guide that I've found for my motherboard, install Snow Leopard on it. Would you recommend that?

• @Stork Thanks for the info on Ivy Bridge and SSDT. I was under the impression SSDT was just for Sandy Bridge. MultiBeast only has options for Sandy i5/i7, so I assumed Ivy didn't need SSDT.

Never tried Mac Mini smbios for my big i7-3770L/HD5870 rig, as the CPU/GPU more closely match real Apple iMacs and Mac Pros vs those found in Mac Minis. Is there something else special about the Mac Mini def that unlocks the hot sauce?

I have to admit my approach to Hackintosh mirrored my approach to GH2 patches. First stage, read everything. Second, try everything. Third, once things reach a point where they stop getting better, stop. I got there with Intravenus 2, and I'm there now with my current Hackintosh setup. It Geeks at 17K, Luxmarks at 700, renders in realtime and doesn't make a peep. And it never, ever crashes. So I just don't worry on it anymore. It's doing what I want it to do. At a certain point I need to stop dicking with patches and Hackintosh hacks and get to work.

• Ive been getting low scores in geekbench so someone told me my powermanagment isnt setup yet or somthing. I was told to mess with pstates and cstates in clover, I have no idea what that is or how to fix it can someone pleaseee help me???!

i5 3570k 3.4ghz z77 ds3h mobo 8gb ddr3 corsair clover bootloader 10.8.3 ML

• @Shaveblog, The iMac System Definitions are defined in Apple’s OS X to have either idle or “full bore” states. The gurus that hang out in the tonymacx86 DDST and SSDT forum sections recommend the use of the Macmini6,1 (for Ivy Bridge i5 processors) and Macmini6,2 (for Ivy Brdige i7 processors) SysDefs along with a SSDT, which gives a fairly good P-state spread, for desktops.

However, you can try a SSDT to see if your system benefits from it. But, you’ll need to use a MacMini6 SysDef as using a SSDT with an iMac SysDef brings problems. Or, press on with your current situation if you’re a happy camper. :D

I’m experimenting (re: trying) the Macmini6,1 and an appropriate SSDT with “DropSSDT=Yes” in the /Extra/org.chameleon.Boot.plist file. (See this post for more information and my Thunderball build description in my signature block.) The SSDT generator app is in the first post of the thread mentioned in the first paragraph. Notice in my post, all I did was run the Terminal app with the processor as the only parameter.

Here’s the P-state range for my i5-3570K processor:

Macmini6,1 & SSDT = 16, 21, 28, 34, 37, 38 (need “DropSSDT=Yes” in /Extra/org.chameleon.Boot.plist file when using a SSDT)

Macpro3,1 /& no SSDT = 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 38

So, I’m getting a better processor P-state range from idle to max Turbo speeds. From were I’m at in my evaluation...well, I don’t know if it’s a big deal or not.

I advise newbies of two philosophical approaches for getting to know a hackintosh. First, get it working - use the defaults unless it’s advised not to do so (non Gigabyte motherboards, for instance). Second, (olde coaches adage) don’t rush to fail.

Given that, do your do diligence and backup, backup, backup. :D

• @Stork Great to see you on this forum! For those that don't know, Stork is a moderator over at Tonymac.

• @Shaveblog, +1 concur.

• @Stork

Yes, I'm not terribly concerned about lower P-States either. My i7-3770K/HD 5870 Hackintosh likes the iMac12,2 smbios best as far as GPU performance goes but seems to only toggle between a CPU freq of 4.4GHz when going full-bore and 1.6GHz all the rest of the time. Works for me, I get grunt when I need it and power savings when I don't.

I fully accept that there are Hackintosh geeks in it for the hobby, trying to nail every last detail even if it's just a complex hack that only gives a cosmetic result in About This Mac. I'm more about having a powerful editing rig that runs OSX fast and with max stability.

• @Shaveblog, I hear you and I have the same philosophy on setting up and learning about the hackintosh

"If you see better performance with SSDT, more power to you. I didn't, and the more I read that thread the more I feel they're chasing something that's more of a bandaid for suboptimal builds than necessary part of a fully optimized Hackintosh."

I've just started to experiment with SSDTs on my Ivy Bridge "Thunderball" system just to see what the hype was all about. (Thunderball > i5-3570K | GA-Z77X-UP5-TH | GTX 650 Ti | Mountain Lion ) I have used the default System Definition MacPro3,1 and have been a happy camper. However, a fellow Moderator at tonymacx86.com gave me an i5-3570K SSDT to play with to see if I noticed a difference. (See this post.) So, I changed my SysDef to Macmini6,2 and added DropSSDT=Yes in the /Extra/org.chameleon.Boot.plist file. I have not noticed a difference in performance by just using the computer. I plan to try MacMini6,1 when I get a moment.

As you can tell from the P-State read out in the post, the SSDT did give me a lower P-State (12 vs. 16), but as you can tell from my system components, I'm not worried about running a lower P-State since I have liquid processor cooler. Nor do I think a 12 vs.16 lowest P-State will amount to much on a desktop, anyway.

So, I'm with you. For general purpose computing, you are better off with the MultiBeast default MacPro3,1. Then, when Apple updates OS X, you aren't sitting there scratching your head trying to figure out why the update screwed up your system. However, if you want to learn about hackintoshing and it's a hobby for you, go for it. But, putting on my coach's hat, "don't rush to fail!" Research is your best friend.

• @jclmedia I run an ATI HD5870 in my main video editing Hackintosh, as it's ideal for the apps I work with - FCPX and After Effects for the most part. It's plenty fast for what I do and with an aftermarket cooler it's all but silent. I've used Nvidia cards but I feel for a Hackintosh primarily doing FCPX, it's hard to significantly beat the HD5870 without spending silly money, and then you're dealing with more noise and lots more watts out of the wall.

Apple coded FCPX for ATI GPUs at the high end and Intel HD3000/4000 integrated graphics at the consumer end, and this is what works best in my experience. Getting the very best from a high-end Nvidia GPU is still a bit of a crapshoot with a Hackintosh. Gaming performance and video production performance are not the same thing, and what you want to be looking at is Open_CL performance (Luxmark benchmark) not Open_GL (Heaven or whatever that elf village walkthru benchmark is called). It looks like Adobe is moving away from CUDA toward standard Open_CL as well so that's the benchmark you want to be looking at if you're building a machine to edit video.

• Answering your question, I have an EVGA GTX670 FTW 2GB. I didn't spend much time on selecting it. Needed something real quick after my GTX660ti started acting funky. It's been crunching my realtime openGL rendering in Max/MSP happily. The only game I've played so far is Need for Speed Shift 2 and it's butter smooth at 1920x1080 max quality (i7 2600k CPU). Haven't done any video editing with it yet.

One of the considerations for taking this card is that it blows its hot air right out the back of the case. I have a compact mATX system so that's a plus.

• Depending on your needs you might find the previous GTX 5xx generation more performant, or the 680 being total overkill. That test on tonymac is with a game engine benchmark, doesn't say much about video editing (in case that's what you're after). Have a look here: http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/3823/graphics-card-for-video-editing/p3

• ok so the 680 it is, what 2gb or 4gb?

• My opinion is for video editing/color correction you are not really going to see that much difference between a 650ti and a 660ti.

The jump in bandwidth would come with the 680 which has 2x as much. (256bit bus vs 192bit and an extra mem controller)

Ohhhh, but just stumbled on this table at tonymac: http://www.tonymacx86.com/graphics/95703-nvidia-performance-benchmarks-10-8-3-geforce-gt-640-gtx-680-a.html

which seems to show rather substansial differences, depending on brand and specific models of the cards you mention.

• jus curious for people who have hackintoshs on here what gpu do you guys use? I have the 650 ti 1gb and its fast jus want something better, ive been looking at the Gigabyte GTX 660 Ti SC 3GB is that a decent choice? it has almost as much cuda cores as 670-680. thanks for any advice.

• @ninetto Well, I don't know if the bootloader falls into the same category of secondary tweaks like SSDT. One you can't boot without, and the other is an add-on which even its proponents admit is mostly a cosmetic patch.

If all Clover brings to the table is faster boot, then no, it's not worth it to me in terms of learning a whole new boot loader scheme with all its quirks, care and feeding. Chimera boots my Hackintoshes faster than any real Apple I've ever owned, so boot speed just isn't an issue for me, plus I rarely need to reboot anyway. But if Clover does bring true UEFI boot to Hackintosh, then there are significant reasons to investigate it as a Chameleon/Chimera replacement. Just making Hackintoshes more resistant to Software Update snafus would be reason enough to go Clover.

In researching this over the past few days I feel Clover is more a work in progress at this point than a fully mature AIO installer like Chimera/MultiBeast, but there is impressive work being done and when it's ready for prime time I'll surely give it a try on a test system.

Laptops I've given up on. Mostly because I'm iPad only these days when doing field work, by choice. But also because even when I'd get just the right combo of OSX-friendly laptop and all the right kexts, it still meant dealing with the inherent shitty experience of using an HP/Dell/etc. laptop. I know lots of guys own a single computer and it is a laptop but that's really no way to live and if you do live that way you're far closer to losing all your shit at any given moment due to any number of cost-cutting measures than you should be.

Even when I did manage to align the stars and put OSX on a WinOEM laptop, the cheap construction, the inelegance of every parameter of design, the bendy creaky case, and just the overall dismal MTBF of Windows laptops permanently soured me on trying to find my perfect Hackintosh portable. Closest I came was an Acer a few years ago and even that was a POS compared to just spending a few hundred more and getting a refurb MacBook. I'm much happier on an iPad, and good riddance to laptops. I'll never buy another one as long as I can have a powerful OSX desktop in the studio and an iPad on the road. I've even done FCPX edits from the road using iTeleport to beam into my desktop.

• Ahhh Shaveblog, it sounds like you are falling victim to the "pockets of fringe tweakery" you debased earlier(! heehee).

My creed: if it ain't broke don't fix it. AND, if you don't absolutely need the update, don't update. On a 8-yr-old laptop I am still running one of those "fake kernel distros" Tiger (10.4.11) by some Frenchman and still works like a charm since I just use the laptop for internet and subtitling.

The new system I reported on (Gigybyte z77-up5-th) has just absolved its first heavy-duty edit with 60hrs of Canon 5d material without a hiccup. Color Correction with DaVinci Resolve, I ended up using a blackmagic Pci-x card for now, but am really curious to see if the USB 3 or thunderbird version of the Intensity-Pro line work with this system.

• @alcomposer

Very interesting. I don't follow the Hackintosh fora much but from what I gather from Google, there's a kind of nerd rage between Tonymac on the Chimera side and everyone else moving to Clover. I feel Tonymac did heroic work in consolidating a lot of disparate noise and dev chatter into one unified Hackintosh installer, and I owe much of my comfort level with this stuff to his site and guides. That said, if Clover does the job better and makes for an even more stable and vanilla OSX installation, I'm all for trying it. Any particular guides you recommend?

• Hey @Shaveblog,

Well... during normal use you won't notice anything. However boot is faster, and you also get access to recovery HD.

Basically its simply a way of using the built in system of UEFI inside supporting motherboards (ones that use UEFI- not BIOS) instead of having to use legacy boot.

This is important when using graphics cards not supported officially by Chimera.

Basically Clover installs onto the EFI partition of your HDD. I only mention it as its currently a very exciting way to make a very vanilla system- and currently it is developing very quickly- and most probably will become the default boot loader soon. (UEFI booting is the holy grail of Hackintosh anyway).

• @alcomposer I'm not as familiar with the Clover bootloader as I am with Chimera/Chameleon. I understand Clover is purportedly UEFI but what does this really bring in terms of advantages over Chameleon? I'm not dubious, I just don't seem to notice anything suboptimal about my installed base of Chimera builds that might be attributed to the bootloader. But as always I am open to new and better methods if they develop. Interested in what improvements you saw using Clover vs. Chimera.

• The current apple software updates are playing nicely... Also using clover helps as its a true uefi boot loader- (can even see the recovery hdd).

Currently clover is also the only way to get the ati7970 working without issues. Which is a beast for openCL, while 680 kind of took a downgrade in 10.8.3 due to correct reporting of core values. Unfortunately nvidia have sipped a bit.

• Thanks for No Update! That'll save a bundle of headaches. Now if I can get the family Hackusers to stop reinstalling Flash player...

• Buddy of mine wrote a neat little utility for unattended Hackintoshes out in the wild, to lock down Software Updates:

No Update (see attachment)

NoUpdate.zip
  • @Shaveblog

thought it might get a chuckle..

I've had many phone calls in the wee hours from family members who clicked on Hack Killer button ( software update )...Now they have to buy the overpriced Realintoshes!

• I know, Ive got 7 running now on the aforementioned Gigabyte TH boards that I put together, and I lose no sleep about them compared to my Mac Pros, and they're in frontline mixing suites working every day all day and never had a glitch yet.