Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
25mm f/0.95 Voigtländer Nokton
  • 308 Replies sorted by
  • I read often "Voigtländer Nokton 25 mm / F 0,95 aspherical".

Please can someone let me know is there any other version that is not aspherical ? Also some of the 17.5mm versions have red text "aspherical" on the lens and some not ... I'm a bit confused ...

• @stonebat

I'm always eager to learn.

*I've always carried hyperfocal charts (a habit from non-reflex Eyemos) and never heard of depth of field varying between lenses of equal focal length. Please direct me to any literature to explain.

*Coma is only one of the possible reasons the Nk25 is less sharp when close up and wide open.

(Let's be specific here: I'm not going to run with either of these samples-of-one when investing in kit).

The latter tester speaks in pejorative terms of laboratory testing. Bad sign, bad science.

When you eschew science, seek metaphor and blur distinction , you're expressing your own passion. Impressions matter and we should listen.

I've got a mate who stopped repairing cameras and lenses. I'm not going to drag him back to his bench to test these lenses. But he'd be able to tell me with a shrug of his shoulders what each does and why they were made that way.

Let's wait for real rests, as you said before.

• @kholi

Are you saying both lenses have the same DOF at the max aperture? I don't think that's the case. See @beeldlab's flickr photostream. The difference seems obvious. The Nokton has shallower DOF at the same f-number.

I'm guessing the Nokton at 1.4 would have DOF similar to the HyperPrime at 0.95. Also the Nokton at 2.8 would have DOF similar to the HyperPrime at 2.0.

I'm waiting for a feedback from @beeldlab. I really wanna see sharpness comparison at similar DOF. Just wanna find more subtle differences.

• @stonebat

I think you're being fooled by the coma of the Voigtlander. They look exactly the same in his examples, just the Voigt is hyper soft. Been saying this for some time now... those things are almost unusable wide open.

And the reason you would use an 0.95 is to get a sharp 1.2~1.4. It's rare to find a sharp 25/1.4, this is the way you get it.

• Can anyone recommend a 50mm that pairs well with the Voigt 25mm?

@SuperSet Can you define your question more precisely, in which features should it be paired well?

• @stonebat Okay makes sense. Especially at the short DOF shot "test." I can see greater differences being apparent.

The only reason, I say it's possible that one of these is not true stated focal length is because I have read that the Pany 20mm is closer to 17mm. Okay, let's wait for the full test, but it looks like a nice option.

• Lens design, coating, and field curvature can affect DOF, too. That's why hands-on tests are needed to learn each lens.

• @stonebat are you saying that the DOF Calculator is useless, or do they have to make a clause for these two or at least one of them? http://www.dofmaster.com/dofjs.html

• @tinyrobot "then one of these is not actually 25mm". I don't concur with you. It's just characteristic of each lens. At same focal length and f-number, each lens can have different DOF. The Nokton vs Leica DG 25mm 1.4 showed that the Nokton has shallower DOF then the Leica when both were set at 1.4.

You gotta ask yourself why you need 0.95. For more blurred background, the Nokton would do it. For more sharpness in low lighting situation, the HyperPrime would do it. There are more options, and that's good.

• If the Nokton has a shallower DOP, then one of these is not actually 25mm or the T-stop/f-stop is wrong on one of these. The SLRmagic does render sharper and I look forward to the full "same spot in focus" tests. I just wish SLRmagic would just step up their QC. The Voigts are built like tanks and built with precision. I can't help but factor this in when I decide to buy.

By the way, my Manfrotto 577 plate side brass screw broke suddenly without any hard twist. I thought these were built to last?

• It seems the Nokton has shallower DOF than the HyperPrime. Roughly 1 stop?

See http://www.hdwarrior.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/Nokton-F-stops.jpg from http://www.hdwarrior.co.uk/2010/12/02/the-voigtlander-nokton-25mm-f0-95-micro-43lens-for-the-panasonic-af101/

When to use such crazy bokeh at 0.95? For low lighting? For hiding background details for storytelling purpose?

• Looks like the same time test again, more or less.

I think I'll just wait for one of those full benchmarked tests.

I can't understand why you'd have both lenses in your hands and not take them out for a drive. (Are these guys only trying out the lenses in a shop?)

• Can anyone recommend a 50mm that pairs well with the Voigt 25mm?

• Every day i use it i like it much more ... My "dream lens", now is here (my short dof test)

• @goanna Go slowly. Wait for more reviews and user feedbacks. You know horses for courses.

• Oh i forgot, yes, yes, yes 12mm also :-) Here is some test found on vimeo 17.5 and 25mm

• +1 for 12mm voightlander, that would be unbelievable !

• Here's a short video of making a cup of tea, shot with the Nokton 25mm f0.95, and FM 2.02 for a short film that I wrote and directed last weekend.

Just for fun, I enabled Youtube's feature to stabilize the video, which is why some of the movements seem a little odd.

• I think a 12mm by Voight would be welcomed.

• I finally got one Nokton 25mm amazing lens,

Hope the make same 35mm for MFT

would be nice 17.5 , 25 and than 35 :-)

• @act start here, or show it to your technician. If you or he/she do it, take lots of pics and share please. If you check the comments below his write up, he offers the The Cine-Mod for around $250 (not bad IMHO) http://matthewduclos.wordpress.com/2011/06/08/voigtlander-25mm-f0-95-nokton-teardown/

larger pic of the pieces here http://www.eoshd.com/content/3483/voigtlander-nokton-25mm-f0-95-teardown-modified-with-cine-gears-canon-fd-50mm-f1-2l-first-look