Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.

specs.jpg
    609 x 567 - 96K
  • 42 Replies sorted by
  • The new Hudgins footage looks really good - very filmic and better than the earlier clips which seemed to have some videoish-looking aliasing in the highlights. What is the deal with the kineraw now? Are there sold units being used now or is it still in development? The website needs a serious overhaul as well

• Looks like a FS100 or similar camera.

• What I like is all the different selection of formats and LUTs, that's quite nice.

• It looks a tad . . . milky? can't quite describe what I am seeing, but then again it is 720p, and Vimeo compression is never kind at that resolution. That could also very well be the lens choice.

• This camera (KineRAW S35) looks like the only contender to replace my GH2 when the time comes.

I started studying film in September. I have 3 years to go. When I finish my studies in June 2015, I plan to go RAW if that is the latest and greatest format available for a reasonable price. - At the time, I plan to be earning a fair wage - even if its not in film making directly.

What I would really like to know in a future test of this camera is how it copes with rolling shutter.(does it even have that issue with its sensor) Footage so far looks good.

Besides all that, at the time when I go to market for a replacement A cam, there wil probably be a newer model or better alternative for cheeper! win win!

Even when I do eventually replace my GH2 in years to come, I will still keep it as a camera for personal use and for the memories. Unless of course I end up not having any money and need to sell it.

So yeah, interested to know whether or not this camera suffers from Rolling shutter or not.

cheers,..

• @jokieone

How about ask about their plans?
    May be small raw camera for $1000? :-)

• I'm interviewing the inventor of the ikonoskop this week, not about the camera - but if there is an interest I can sneak in a few private questions if anyone wants to know anything

• @ipcmlr

Good find. And yeah, that was definitely a JB Pool Shark knock off... yet still without color...

Oi... why?

• I like that they have a John Brawley "billiard scene" test :D Maybe it was a coincidence :D

http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XNDc0NDY0Njgw.html

• Yeah, I replied. I don't want to post off topic, so hit me back for more details.

• @Lincoln11

Not bad at all, i'm thinking about it. As i have full rig and a good Cartoni tripod, the 10lb red one mx should not be so heavy to handle. I have a set of lomo primes, if i add some ice to refresh the camera (joking) the investment, with chinese batteries, the old 320gb brick and third party hdmi monitor, if it stays in sub 6000 euro could be very good. I pm'd you asking for tips and details :-)

• "The S16 version isn't anywhere near available they said, and the office is too far from where I am to go check it out, maybe later."

I would be very interested in a S16 version especially with all the under valued s16 glass out there. The ikonoskop a-cam looks interesting but out of my price range...... and the digital bolex......

• Well, I'll let you know about it, because after so many delays with BMCC, I went ahead and got the Red One MX. They take two weeks to refurbish and get it up to spec, so I'll be getting it at the beginning of December hopefully. Since I'm in China working now and shipping wouldn't be an issue, I looked up the Kineraw guys and had some brief emails from them, which weren't too inspiring. I like the use of Cineform, but getting the ability to do overcrank with the Red made me go with it.

The S16 version isn't anywhere near available they said, and the office is too far from where I am to go check it out, maybe later.

The Red One is a tank though, but all my support equipment comes from when I owned an Aaton S16mm camera, so it'll be just like old school days where I had to lug around about 20lbs. of camera; so much for stealth. As far as just how much it's going to cost to get it useable, I've heard figures of 15,000.00. Don't think so if you have good rig support for your DSLR, mainly costly batteries and of course ridiculously priced proprietary equipment. Right now added the 64gig SSD for...700.00 (insane), Nikon mount 350.00 (ludicrous) and Red Station 195.00 (why not integrated into the mag) just to get the footage off the SSD. Total- 5,245.00.

I expect to spend about 600.00 or so more for batteries from manufacturer in China, and that's it. I can use my rails and Ruige monitor with HDMI.

I am never getting rid of my Gh2, I think this camera will be a diamond for a long time and will be the camera I use for steadicam and run and gun shooting. People are amazed at the footage of my Antarctic documentary and hopefully I'll get that done for a festival run next year.

• @Multimyth

Price for RED is for few used bodies. Without any required accessories, sensor and camera with issues.

• With the huge price reduction on the Red ONE, this camera isn't looking quite as attractive anymore. I had thought of getting this camera, but now I'm leaning toward either a Red ONE or a BMCC w/ MFT mount though.

• I think this cam is already DOA

LOL

• @ CRFilms Saw the same things, also there was a poster claiming to be a friend of the owner talking about a KineRaw 35mini for about the same price of the BMC.

I think this cam is already DOA but they a smart and already moving on. They already did a lot of R&D on this one so I hope they can transform it into KineRaw 35mini quick.

• Did some searches to see any more news. Type "KineRAW" into the twitter search box and you'll get some tweets of a few people who got one and are using them. Dan Chung of DSLR News Shooter got one. Another guy said the cam is great but with bad rolling shutter, as bad or worse as typical DSLR rolling shutter. Comes with Cineform onboard.

David Newman Tweeted "RT @DSLRinformer: Basically think of the KineRAW as an S35 BMCC with CineForm onboard and more options for lenses and accessories."

• unpacking, lets see!!