Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Thinking about Glidetrack HD. Any suggestions?
  • 61 Replies sorted by
  • @vicharris .. a hihat/riser enables you to pan and tilt while sliding at an angle

• @kavadni Yes, I know what that does. So does the head in the link I posted. Did you even look at it? This isn't my first day at the rodeo ;)

• @vicharris .. I did look and it will not enable you to set the slider at a 10 degree angle, and pan 'and' tilt while sliding, as your 10 degree is set by the tilt mechanism of that head.

No offense was intended @vicharris.

• I'm so confused here. Why can you not do that with this head? This head does everything my Bogen 316 head does. And that head is studio level! I've panned and titled with the head while my slider was at a 90 degree angle. Yes, not easy or ideal, but it worked. Am I missing something here? I might be a few beers in to understand what you mean. :) Do you mean setting the slider up 10 degrees on one side?

• @vicharris

Do you mean setting the slider up 10 degrees on one side?

Yes .. for example, assuming level ground, height at one end is 4 foot, height at the other end is 3 foot.
    In that situation, to level your camera with the head that you linked to you have to mount the camera sideways on the head, point the head along the slider, and use the tilt of the head to level the camera.

Any panning or tilting will take the horizon off level.

90 degrees can be done, as you have, it's a lot easier with a right angle bracket and a hihat.

• AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! Gotcha. My bad. It's that variable axis you are talking about. Sorry. I use a tripod mount adapter for lenses so I can rotate how the camera mounts easily so I never really even thought about your problem.

• BTW, this thread has been fun and insightful!

• thanks for all the great info and links folks, very helpful

• A video of the motorized Varavon slider:

• I actually built my own motorized slider from the Varavon S900. Looks ghetto as all hell but works for me. I'm using it on a job in Miami right now but will post some pics soon.

• @davidp158

It is old video. They are still not available as I know, and we better use proper topic.