Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Thinking about Glidetrack HD. Any suggestions?
  • 61 Replies sorted by
  • ade4all "so how are you finding the Varavon then Pundit?"

Chalk and cheese compared to the IGUS.

The IGUS required very careful alignment of the dry bearings to reduce binding but I could never seem to completely eliminate it.

• @John_Farragut: The only issue with the Varavon is they don't have a motorized solution. If you want to have that, Konova. I like my K3 100cm. The Varavon and Konovas quality is solid. With a GH2, the metal does not bend when i put it on a tripod. I was concerned with that. Its the best bang4buck w/o doubt. No reason to spend anymore imo...you get the full extras bag, feet, etc. It takes a little time to get used to slider technique and you have to keep the rods oiled. Konova gives you these little pads that lubricate to keep it smooth. You don't pay 'tax' since Konova is dealing in US. I had no issues ordering through their website and even emailing back and forth. I may look at their other accessories later on.

• The only issue with the Varavon is they don't have a motorized solution. If you want to have that, Konova

Looks like quite bad Konova advertisment :-)

Plus it is false. Varavon has motorised solutions.

Let's go point by point.

Its the best bang4buck w/o doubt.

This point is not really true.

you get the full extras bag, feet, etc.

Nothing exclusive here, it is same.

It takes a little time to get used to slider technique and you have to keep the rods oiled. Konova gives you these little pads that lubricate to keep it smooth.

Same.

You don't pay 'tax' since Konova is dealing in US.

Same, as Varavon has US branch. Problem is US don't have any tax problem, usually.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev "Varavon has motorised solutions"

Where Vitaliy? I can't see anything on Varavon's website about motorised sliders.

• @pundit

It is true, as I am looking at their info :-) It is just not on site yet.

• Also the K2 is $100 cheaper. So the comment best bang for the buck might be true, or at last a very viable opinion. Just bought one to try it and it's not too bad. I don't see any difference in these two sliders. Wish I bought a heavier duty one but it's still light years from the Igus crap.

• Also the K2 is $100 cheaper.

Cheaper than what?

• The equivalent Varavon. The have some of the same parts.

• @vicharris

K2 has no equivalent slider on Varavon side, as I understand, as Lite newer slider in different niche.

If you want to compare it'll be K3 vs S, to same length sliders it'll be $442 versus $389

Even if you want to compare just cheapest offers it'll be $219 vs $229 (for 60cm sliders). Don't see here anything near $100.

• The K2 looks just like the lite varavon to me. Same rail width, same bearing system, same ends, same rail greaser, same bag, and the feet are damn closs. I do believe the K2 has a higher payload capacity. How do they not compare?

• The K2 looks just like the lite varavon to me. Same rail width, same bearing system, same ends, same rail greaser, same bag, and the feet are damn closs

How about check first before telling things?

They have different weigh, different width of rails, different ends, different bearings, different bags and legs are totally different.

• Considering S and K3 my comparison, I compared closest I could find.

But it is also not fair comparison, as Konova alternative to Varavon S is really K5, not K3 (K3 is made for much lighter cameras and use 6mm rails only, same as K2).

• I'll verify all that when i get home but the bearings are exactly the same.

• I'll verify all that when i get home but the bearings are exactly the same.

I really do not understand after all this that you understand under "same".

And next time, verify first, post second.

• @V: I consider Konova AND Varavon on equal terms and best bang 4 buck if you re-read what i said. Its just lack of motor for their Sliders. I was hoping they would have one. I hope they have some in the works and plan to release them soon. I don't have any connections whether paid or indirect with either companies so its not an advertisement.

• SPECS: Payloads Konova K2 MAX:39 Pounds Optimal:6.6-24.4 Varavon S MAX:42 Pounds The Varavon Lite is so far behind on these numbers I do not think it is fair to compare them. It's max load is 19 pounds.

Width of entire rail Konova K2 1.84mm Varavon S 1.85mm Once again Varavon Lite is too far behind at 1.18

Weight of entire slider Konova K2 1.45 Kg Varavon S 2.56 Kg

Same mounting options on end blocks. Same exact bearing adjuster system. Both have measurement markings along rail Both have 3 roller bearings. K3 has 4.

The Varavon does have a bubble lever and that locking dial. K2 does not.

Now comparing the S to the K5 is a bit much. The max payload on the K5 is 55 pounds. I would say this is a heavier duty slider by far just based off that alone. Maybe the K2 is somewhere between the Lite and the S. Most likely based of specs, right below the S. Is that worth $100 for something else? Maybe a new head for the slider, hell yeah, IMO. And that's just my opinion but those are the numbers I went off, when I made my purchase.

• @vicharris

Are Konova good sliders? They are.

But. Payloads are just marketing bullshit here.

Only thing that matters for such sliders is diameter of steel rods.

Varavon Lite has smallest rods, Varavon S has bigger rods than K2 or K3. Period.

Your usage of word "same" is just unacceptable for me. As you always assume absolutely different thing under this - "in my humble opinion they looks similar to me". This is how you must words this.

To be short, both Varavon sliders had been designed as things for certain real goals, long after Konova.

• thanks for all the info - a few more queries - is there a high hat solution for the Varavon, cant seem to find one but would be interested in using my Vinten vision blue head which has 75mm ball.....have seen a lot of folk seem to just use the screw on type manfrotto 701 head but am not convinced it would handle the weight of an AF101 & allow for smooth tilts, pans etc? Any feedback would be useful, thanks

• What I like about Konova are their legs. Varavon legs are much different and not as good (they are like old konova design). Also I want to have a motorised version, sadly Varavon doesn't sell them (yet?).

What I like about Varavon is bigger shaft and bigger roller bearings. Also I like their Block head with dial and buble leveler.

I have Konova now, but I'll switch to Varavon if they will change legs and show a good moto version.

• @Lohmatij Which Konova do you have?

• thanks Kavadni I'm in the U.K. and am struggling to find it on ebay or any uk supplier, have bought from bh before but I guess for this I'm paying for them to import it into USA from korea then export to the UK - I dont suppose anyones got a link for a more direct way of doing it, the tight arse in me says this is an expensive way? cheers for all the help

• @ade4all Why wouldn't you just buy another head that can support that weight? It will be cheaper than all that riser and convertor crap and weigh less. What's the payload for your AF100? I have a head, the same as the varavon one that I purchased that handles 10 pounds easy. Varavon just slapped their name on it. Dracast and Cowboy use it as well on a light duty tripod I have. Here's the link. It's very fluid and smooth, plus you save an assload of money.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0072B0UMI/ref=oh_details_o06_s00_i00

Buy it via Amazon Prime and if you don't like it, return it!

BTW, It has the same or larger payload rating than the 701. I have not used the 701 but I've used this head with my HVX200, with a wide angle lens attached and a DTE and it actually worked pretty good. That's alot of weight!! I had a 501HDV and IMO, this head worked better. The 501HDV had a very small amount of backlash, this other head didn't.