Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Panasonic LX7 topic
  • 320 Replies sorted by
  • Would be great to see a comparsion to the Sony hx9v, i am no Sony fanboy but can imagine its better video wise

• @goofy23 The big difference from hx9v is that the LX7 has full manual control of video, and can lower the shutter speed to 1/30, 1/25, 1/20. 1/15, 1/13, 1/10 or 1/8 if you are in a really low-light environment. It packages them into the AVCHD container. Donald Graft's DGindex is best for pulling them out smoothly. Indoors, I routinely use shutter preferred, with 1/30 shutter and change the ISO to control my average (auto) aperture. Outdoors one has the inbuilt ND filter, which with ISO80, allows a 1/30 shutter even in the California sun. BUT - the camera is crippled in shutter preferred in that the minimum F stop is 4.0 when you engage the ND filter in shutter preferred creative video. So I carry around a 37mm ND to get over this and allow bokeh in the sun. Panny did a couple of silly things to limit the LX7 utility for 'pros' and were blind-sided when Sony released the RX100. Which IMO has bad video, BTW, saturated shadow grading in particular.

• I've been trying to decide on a small camera for video. It was looking like the LX7 was going to be it, but Panasonic crippled it with low bitrates.

The Canon S100 appears to be the best one. It does 1080/24p @ 38 mbps, which is almost double the bitrate the LX7 offers, and has a built-in ND filter. Plus, it's last year's model, so it's super cheap now.

• Btw, we today purchased LX7 for hack.

• Wow, that's great.

• @Vitaliy Great news! - Without the 30 minute limitation, the LX7 would be very nice for video. Its battery is good for about 2hrs continuous...

I did notice that resolution charts with 1080p on the LX7 were a little more moire and slightly lower resolution that FZ200, I suspect that is beacuse of the fewer pixels on the sensor. But I guess we will know soon :) :)

• @trevmar

It is good to understand that this cameras can be long shot projects.

As for purchase - say thanks to Panasonic for discounts :-)

• f1.4 gives at least a minimal bokeh, along with significantly better low light performance than the FZ200.

There is another interesting crippling I found. On Creative Video I set "Shutter Priority" to 1/30 and then fix ISO at 800 (say). The auto aperture opens to as much as f1.4 to expose correctly (range f1.4 to f8). But when I engage the ND filter, the auto aperture only opens to f4, giving a very limited range of auto exposures (f4-f8). With ISO left at 'auto' the aperture opens fully with ND engaged, except you can't control the aperture very easily to get a fixed level of bokeh. Take a look when yours arrives (after you have played with all the other neat stuff on this very nice camera).

I use a 1/30 shutter for indoors work, as my target is web, and the extra sensitivity over 1/60 is usually welcome :) If you set Creative Video, Manual Exposure (don't forget to switch the lens to manual too) the LX7 will allow you to select a shutter speed as low as 1/8 second (as will the FZ200). Might be useful in pitch darkness, I guess :)

• Just donated $20, use it best way for your hacks @VK. Looking forward for LX7 hack and improving GH1 (that's on quite soon, right?) but first of all wish you best health!

• $299 was a crazy deal, but there was "TURKEY10" coupon code for $10 discount from J&R.

In this morning I contacted them via J&R's contact page and got the discount. I wish it's mine. It's for my little brother. Hope a lot more people became LX7 users.

• @stonebat

Yes I couldn't resist. I originally bought one from Panasonic Direct but I didn't want to have to pay tax upfront so I cancelled that order and placed an Amazon Prime order with next day shipping for $304. It will be here tomorrow.

It isn't for me. It is for my brother in law. However, I get to play around with it and review it before I send it up to him.

My GH3 should ship on Friday or before. We will be in Lynchburg filming a climbing comp in two weeks. You live in that general area, right?

• After taking $10 off and 10% cashback and 2% store credit, net cost would be $255 for me. Hehe. I'd get it in this Thursday and tune it up before handing it over to my little bro. He has no idea how good it is.

I live in VA.15 mins away from DC downtown. Lynchburg is kinda far. I'd see you after I learn mountain climbing. Hehe. Gawd GH3. I'm getting envious!!!

• Yea my brother in law was super skeptical about the LX7. He wanted to get a Rebel 3ti or D3100 with the kit lens. I told him to skip the DSLR for what he wanted and just get something with some fast glass. He just shoots pictures and videos of his kids so the LX7 is prefect.

I think it makes a good option instead of getting the 12-35mm F2.8 though. For 1/4 the price it is a steal.

• Just got my LX7 from the $304 Amazon deal. Let me just say I am impressed. Great little camera. I just canceled my GH3 order. This little LX7 is just so great I decided to ditch m4/3s.

:O

Just kidding of course. The LX7 isn't going to replace a GH camera. However, it does shoot very good 1080p @ 60 FPS video and rather nice stills. If you are shooting home movies this would definitely be a good choice. The macro capabilities are fantastic too. Depth of field and dynamic range are definitely not anywhere near m4/3s territory. However, they are not terrible like so many other compact cameras.

• How's built-in ND filter?

Some of early adapters experienced focusing issue at f/1.4. Hopefully it's fixed silently.

• If you are shooting home movies this would definitely be a good choice.

Get Sony TD10 for home movies (<$700 on ebay), as your ancestors will be asking stupid questions why all is so flat :-)

• Get Sony TD10 for home movies (<$700 on ebay), as your ancestors will be asking stupid questions why all is so flat :-)

Some clever bugger will invent a software for 2D to 3D simulation VK, so no disappointed ancestors.

• Some clever bugger will invent a software for 2D to 3D simulation VK

Yep. I already heard this previously.

Wait, it was guys talking that you don't need proper lighting and good sound, as you can do all in post.

• LX7 video is better than smarphone video. End of story.

• I have already seen this on Samsung 3D TV. Really weird how they can make it work. One of my clients played back their wedding movie on it and I was stunned how good it looked: 24p GH2 material in 3D! The software seems to pick out foreground and background on the fly with no artifacts worth mentioning.

• LX7 video is better than smarphone video.

Sorry? What is smarphone doing here?

• @oscillian

Thing is, it is not 3D :-) And never will be.

• Sure looked as good as my recent viewing of Madagascar 3 at the cinema :)

• @VK hey not so fast. You brought 3D element to LX7 topic!!!