Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Panasonic LX7 topic
  • 320 Replies sorted by
  • Movie mode also sees an overhaul. 1080p50 capture is available in AVCHD (28Mbps) or 1080p25 is included for MP4 file recording (17Mbps at best).

Panasonic... Don't do that on Gh3. Keep the AVCHD 1080p30 and 1080p25 and 1080p24!!!

• Feature crippling as usual...

• @zcream

"No manual mode during 120fps capture :-" = useless for me because of this reason. "Flickering or horizontal stripes may appear while recording under fluorescent lighting."

• That date is tomorrow. Please please do check the 120fps recording mode and post details. I feel cheated in a way - so close yet so far. The fluoro flicker indoors will kill this feature.

According to the manual - you can lock exposure but cannot adjust shutter and aperture.

Recording motion pictures with manual operation [Creative Video Mode]

You can record at high speed moving subjects during sporting events or other active scenes to record movements that cannot be seen with the naked eye.

When you select [    ] by rotating the mode dial, the menu appears automatically. • You can display the [Creative Video] menu by pressing [MENU/SET]. select HS [High Speed Video]

• Amazon just emailed me to expect delivery of my LX7 on 24 August (in the USA). When it arrives I will take an in-depth look at its video performance. This camera had the potential to be a leader in P&S video, like AVCHD gave the LX5 two years ago, but Panasonic made so many (presumably marketing-driven) decisions to cripple its video. The RX100 has decimated sales for stills, and the 30 minutes max recording time at FullHD has decimated its usefulness as a video recorder. It is such a shame. This may be the last of the LXx product line, as Panny were not happy with LX5 sales.

There may be a potential to hack the recording time limitations, as they have imposed a more severe limitation in the EU as against the USA. But unlike the LX5, FZ150, and other 2010/2011 models, there is no way to buy an uncrippled camera from Hong Kong any more :(

• No manual mode during 120fps capture :-

• Picture quality of high-speed motion pictures 1280×720 pixels (Aspect ratio of 16:9) 100 pictures/sec. Recording format: MP4 (without audio)
    • You can record a motion picture of up to 4 GB per recording session.
    • When converted into playback time, motion pictures can be recorded for up to 29 minutes and 59 seconds.
    • The shutter speed and aperture value are automatically adjusted.
    • Press the shutter button to start and stop recording motion pictures.
    • Still pictures cannot be recorded while motion pictures are being recorded.
    • The settings for the focus, zoom, exposure and White Balance are fixed to the settings specified when recording was started.
    • The Optical Image Stabiliser does not work.
    • The [AF Mode] is set to (1-area-focusing).
    • Flickering or horizontal stripes may appear while recording under fluorescent lighting.
  • This is supposed to also have 720p at 120fps. Does anyone have any idea how thats being recorded ?

• Here is analysis of the ability of the video processor in the LX7 to keep up with the content, by comparison with the Rx100. The analyzer software is the GH13 project.

First is RX100 video using the MTS download from vimeo.com/46408110 The LX7 video is the DCresource SF Trolley video http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/panasonic/dmc_lx7-assets/00002.MTS

Notice the LX7 is (somewhat surprisingly) rock solid:

ScreenCapture009.jpg
    1211 x 223 - 80K
    ScreenCapture008.jpg
    1212 x 224 - 137K
  • Video rate looks good with GH13 Stream Parser, in the DCresource 1080 60p video (of the SF trolley). Bit rate 28/29 Mbps with virtually no stuttering. The trolley is an easy subject, but still...

• On paper this seems like real competition for the Sony RX100. Cool. High iso noise is not pretty, though.

• The direct link for the HD version at YouTube is

www.youtube.com/watch?v=IswJvUq812U

• There is an LX7 video on line now, it looks quite good, from a sensitivity point of view. Towards the end a hand is held in front of the camera, but it fails to fool the autofocus - impressive, IMO. The biggest problem with this camera for me is that all models, worldwide, are limited from recording more than 30 minutes in a single clip. If you want to leave a B-roll camera running, it seems that you need to use 720.60p, but that is still a little unclear. It is certain that the 1080p is crippled:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=IswJvUq812U

• Wow.

This little thing might get very interesting when it comes to the need for a really compact camera. Now that it offers true 50p/60p shooting ... does it now seem to be worthy for a hack? The LX5 was not. A bit of a downside or disadvantage might be the smearing issue that comes around with those smaller sensors if I'm not wrong.

All in all I find it myself VERY promising. Specs are really cool.

• I updated first post.

• ND/Focus? Built-in ND filter?

Yep. Not something unusual on compacts.
    Btw we have similar thing on G5 near shutter :-)

Finally 1080p60

And this had been known for long. Common feature for all cameras based on new LSI.

• Finally 1080p60.

ND/Focus? Built-in ND filter?