Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
25p official topic, aka Don't cry for me Argentina
  • 236 Replies sorted by
  • I also find combining footage from GH2 and other PAL cameras the biggest hastle, especially explaining this for students.
    I think most people on this forum are aware of the workaraounds, but still, 25p will make the workflow much more streamlined (and for multicam it's essential). For many, this can be the difference for choosing GH2 vs another cam.

Nice Downfall edit BTW ;) So, fingers crossed, I'm hoping for the best!
  • +1 wah, wah, wah. You've started me off now!
  • I need a Cinema 25p for this reason I'm forced to shoot video with my dusty
    Canon HFS100 and it has Cinema mode, works without any problems ...
    Cinema 25p is "must have", phew Panasonic ...
  • Not cries but just should point out (and rant) that 25p is used in a lot of countries...and sometimes ESSENTIAL for work.
    I currently conform from 24p and on occasion I get out of sync trouble. 50i is frankly shit on the gh2....soon as everyone abandons interlace format the better.

So its so unreasonable to hope with the hack that 25p is a possibility? Seems it isnt taken very seriously but for some of us it is.
    Every bit as important as 4.2.2 mjpeg and hdmi output.

wah wah wah ;-)

I think the simple question that has not been answered...will we get 25p from the hack?
    When we get the answer to this then we can all shut up ;-)

• Why you can't use Cineform neoscene to convert 24p to 25p? It also converts 4:2:0 to 4:2:2 and have great firstlight colour grading... Sound streching is correct. I know 25p is 25p but this is small solution.

mk
  • @zigizigi +1

Aside from attempting to mix 24 and 25 footage, I am finding that the GH2 drifts out of sync in 1080 50i (much more than my Canons) so don't know what's going on there - but that caused me a lot of work the other day to mend a bunch of clips (60+) in a shoot which was being mimed to playback.

Unfortunately I'd removed the audio from the timeline GH2 clips having done what I thought was an initial sync and then cut the clips up - so I had to match them up again one by one by syncing up the original takes and then matching my edited video clips to that (too much work already done to just start again). Won't make that mistake again - I'll keep all the audio with the gh2 clips but mute it all - so I have a sync reference to return to should I need it. Not something I've worried about for years with my XHA1s and other SD camcorders I have, which hold sync perfectly. I've now got pluraleyes, so am ready for my next shoot, but the GH2 shouldn't be drifting that much.

That's without dealing with 24p!

Of course I could ditch my Canons but they're great for lots of usability reasons (and have 25mbps cbr).
  • I shoot multicam concerts and theatrical performances as well. That 4% speed up thing does not work if you have one 24p cam among a bunch of 25p/50i ones. They'll just get out of sync. There are decent motion detecting framerate conversion algorithms yet they're slow and expensive while still being a compromise. 24p is not quite a show stopper in a PAL multicam project with most of the material shot at 25p - you can work around it - but it is definitely a HUGE PITA and LOTS of wasted time. It's all about the convenience and speed of the workflow. I'm seriously considering getting one or two G3s because of that.
  • That's the issue I face with using my GH2 with my 2 XHA1 camcorders hence run my GH2 at 1080i
  • Yes, 1/50s shutter can only partially solve the problem. If you use more different cameras it could be a problem in PAL land... You usually cannot put together 24FPS and 25FPS footage without difficulties. Something won't work, either the picture or sound, even though you converted all 24p footage into 25p or vice versa.
  • On the question of the need for 25p, I'm curious - is the problem of syncing to lamp flicker for mains-driven lamps no longer relevant?

I was under the impression using 24p in a scene with 50Hz-driven-fluros, for example, (white balance issues aside) would produce some rather undesirable effects... and if we're going the GH2 route, I presume we're not all in situations with a large lighting budget. Yes, I'm aware of the 1/50th shutter trick, but that's a bit constrictive, particularly if you want a faster shutter / wider aperture combo for bokeh (I'm old school ;o) don't really like the term 'bokeh', but I'll admit it covers an aspect of DOF effects that didn't have its own name before).

There's been plenty of comments that 25p is irrelevant because you can speed up 24p, which is well and good as long as you stay outdoors, but surely being unable to shoot under lights is an important limitation for any kind of video or movie work - unless someone is suggesting that shooting in the dark is just fine.

If the GH2 or the PTool hack has fixed this issue somehow, please let me know - it would be awesome (if unexpected) news...
  • For those who might not have seen this before...