Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Total disaster, reports from the weddings front
  • 108 Replies sorted by
  • @fosterchen

And I hear you @mintcheerios about using traditional camcorders...it's a hard transition with a lot of anxiety. I'm still using one as backup camera just in case, but one of these days I'll go without it and rely strictly on HDSLR's!

The company I shoot weddings for sometimes was basically just "forced" to only use DSLRs now. We got too many complains about how bad the XF footage looks next to 5D/7D stuff. It's actually not that bad with only DSLRs and a Zoom though.

• Yes, I have a Tascam DR-40 which has been a great tool since I started shooting with the GH2. Great tip is to call the DJ day before wedding and see what his setup will be, and if you can patch a line/mic out from him into your recorder. So if he only mic's up the officiant, you can then mic up the groom and put that on the 2nd input, and you're set. Usually the onboard mics can pickup good ambience indoors, outdoors if there is even a slight wind, might as well turn those off and save battery life.

If you have more than one shooter, Canon's might work great for you, but for solo work, GH2 with the continuous recording really helps for those stationary shots where you can hit record way before ceremony start and not have to worry about it stopping throughout the entire ceremony...Same with reception.

• Keep in focus the bride walk down the aisle was the most disater for me. I used the Oly 12 mm thinking it should do the trick by setting auto S mode in front of aisle, put in record mode then run to other cameras . I get all these impotant moments of the bride out of focus : A lesson to remember that I would better use a camcorder that way, as solo wedding shooting.

• @tinbeo Or you could use a Sony RX100 if you start it just when they enter and if the ceremony is less then 30 minutes. Autofocus is damn good and low light is much better then a camcorder. Plus it's small enough to be hardly noticed. I'm trying out mine now with good results and who knows what it will be able to do once the NEX-hack team start working on Sony cameras.

• @oscillian

I think that good camcorder is better. Mostly due small sensors. I think that most wedding guys need at least one.

NEX-hack team start working on Sony cameras.

Right now first result is that we can change language to english for Japanese cameras :-)

Check http://nex-hack.info from time to time.

• Awesome thread for someone like me who has to record the highlights of his sister's wedding in a few weeks!

I´d be very much interested in more tips and warnings concerning audio, especially without lavs, if anyone had some more to give.

Thanks!

• Audio tips for without wireless mics would be to get as close as you can to the bride & groom for best audio from camera mic. Since you are the brother, getting close should be no problem for you. And use tripod for the duration of the ceremony...don't try to go handheld for the whole thing, you'll be tired and end up with shaky footage.
    If ceremony has live sound system and it is tested to be good quality (not distorting or feedback prone), you can setup with tripod in the back off center to get the best view during vows, kiss, and pronouncement.
    Any possibility that the church or DJ can record the ceremony audio for you, get it! If ceremony is outdoors and it is windy, be sure to set your camera mic to cut wind noise, and try to find a windjammer or make one to put over camera mic.

• Just finished long Syrian wedding with 6 GH2:s. Crazy stuff! Gotta hit the sac and catch some z:s before posting some examples. 30h of footage to sift through in the next couple of days.

Oh yeah I forgot! They changed to another church without notice - Nerve wrecking!

• On a recent shoot the bloody photographer held the bride hostage for 20 minutes doing nudes in the suite: as a result I fell behind schedule and almost went off the road trying to get to church in time. Always plan for the unexpected :)

• Minutes before the ceremony was due to start, the minster kindly asked "You do know they are facing the congregation, right?" I said no they never said they were doing that.

Cue last minute mad dash to re-config set-up, and move up to balcony with lots of gear!

End result worth it, now every consultation we ask, which way are you facing?!

• @Sph1nxter Oh man, I feel for you!

• @oscillian, 6 GH2's!?!?!?! That is insane. I hope they are paying you well for it! How many shooters? Would love to see some of that 30h footage.
    I am usually one person trying to manage 3-4 cameras: 1 GH2, 1 GF3, 1 Sony V1U, and a Sony TX100 point&shoot for hiding. Audio is through Tascam DR-40, and kudos to all the kind DJ's letting us get the audio feed for ceremony & reception!

• I shot a wedding last weekend where the officiant completely forgot to turn on her wireless lav, so there was NO AUDIO coming through the speakers from DJ...he even went up to her halfway through to tell her to turn it on, but still did not. Luckily the photographer hid her own audio recorder in a pot next to the bride & groom so I at least have that. Don't they know how important it is for us and everybody to hear you?

• I use a personal recorder with lav mic attached for the ceremony. Guess who inserted the mic into the earphone hole? oops

I have now taped over the headphone hole to prevent this.

• Sometimes there are weddings which you're glad you're not a part of, like this one in Philadelphia (the city of Brotherly Love) that made the news...

Here's more on the story. At least one person dead.

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/dncrime/Wedding-guest-dies-of-heart-attack-after-brawl-breaks-out-with-video.html

• Catrin and David got married on 29th of september this year. We started out at Catrins parents place with the ceremonial greetings from Davids family and then took off for church (last minute change!) The party lasted until 5 o'clock in the morning :) This was my first Syrian wedding with 600 guests and my first gig for Carlsbeckers Studios.

40+ hours of raw footage with 6 GH2s. Edit in Premiere CS6. Music: themusicbed

• I had a fun one last weekend - groom was throwing up at 9:30 - white as a sheet at the ceremony (told the bride he was alergic to the flowers) threw up again on the photo shoot (along with the best man & one of the bridesmaids) most of the bridal pary were pissed an newts by 9:30 and I left at 10 while the bride was ferrying people back to their motels

• Shot one a couple weeks ago was my 6th wedding I've done since I started shooting weddings… the wedding started an hour and 15 minutes late, and was an hour and a half long ceremony (was my first Catholic ceremony, and from what I heard, this was long by even Catholic standards!). The reception was across town, and the bride and groom arrived an hour later than expected, which was then proceeded by a 5 course sit down dinner which took 5 hours for the caterers to serve. Needless to say, you can only shoot so much footage of people sitting around waiting for food to arrive. The DJ's were in a panic trying to re-arrange the wedding schedule as dinner was only scheduled for an hour. What was supposed to be a 6-7 hour day for me, turned into an 11 hour day… but I learned a lot about making a better contract so I get paid more when these types of issues come up.

• Good tip about getting the best out of wedding videography is to attend rehearsals. You don't want to be overtaken by any surprises. Secondly get to meet the photographer either before the wedding day or on set, to discuss the importance of shooting from the same angle. My first video gig was riddled by the photographer moving all over the place. My clients forgave me. Thirdly, monitor your audio before the ceremony through headsets, that way you know what is not turned on. And I have resolved never to shoot handheld. The closest I have been to handholding is the use of monopods, unless you have some kind of OIS. Started with the Sony HC1, moved up to Z1U, the Panny HMC82en, all the while B-rolling with 7D and GH2 - none of them hand held. The HMC82 is shoulder mounted, but gets tiring after a while. Currently testing a Blackmagic ATEM 1 gig to get away with long editing times.image

001.JPG
    480 x 234 - 67K
    002.JPG
    640 x 312 - 97K
  • 10 Things a Photographer Should Never Do While Photographing a Wedding

Do not share technical problems with the wedding party.

Let’s face it, stuff is going to happen. Problems will arise. Equipment will break, lenses will lock, lights will refuse to fire, and you will panic. No matter how seasoned of a wedding photographer you are, a lens that locks up in the middle of an event will give you the same sensation as if you swallowed an ice cube. But no matter what the problem, it is YOURS, not the couple’s. The last thing a bride wants to hear on her wedding day is, “WTF? Hold on everybody! My lens locked up and I’ve got to switch everything over now, so it’s gonna be a few minutes. I can not believe this is happening. I mean, come on!” Yeah, brides really love that…not. Just switch to your backup plan and move on. You do have a backup plan, right?

Via: http://petapixel.com/2013/05/15/10-things-a-photographer-should-never-do-while-photographing-a-wedding/

• Our weddings are pretty marathonesque. We usually start off at 2 am and rarely finish earlier than 6 pm the morning after. One thing I've noticed is if you start drinking cofee or anything caffeinated before 4 pm it's nighty nighty. Save it until you're really sleepy, otherwise you'll just go out in a blaze of enthusiasm before the last dance.

• @oscillian, those are really crazy hours for shooting a wedding! I hope you are well compensated. Just filmed one this past weekend with great results...just forgot to shoot some establishing venue shots! My issue is I always bring too much equipment to use. Thankfully the venue had excellent staff with golf carts helping me out. Don't be afraid to ask for help (staff not guests) carrying stuff around a large venue where the ceremony and reception are at different sites and your car is way far off in the parking lot.

• Another nightmare came true this past weekend...lost an SD card at the venue, only realizing the next day when I went to unpack my gear. Must have fell out of my pocket after swapping cards!

Thankfully, a member of the wedding band picked it up, gave it to the sound guy, and has been super professional in making sure it is returned safely to me, even saving a copy of the files and uploading it to his ftp before mailing it back to me. Super kudos to him and his team!

Even though it will be returned soon, I've already bought a bigger capacity SD card for the camera (GF3) so I won't have to even change cards in the first place! Lesson learned.

• Sigh... Unfortunately I didn't discover the Panasonic G6 black coma issues before this recent shoot. Actually its white and black coma to the left. The ETC on the G6 makes it even worse so most of my closeups are weird as hell and its impossible to grade (unless if I go low contrast, 70s style look on everything). To make matters worse, the groom ripped out the cord from the H1 so I had no LAV sound during the ceremony. Frosting on this disaster cake: this was also close to an airport, so I got some great Airbus 230 foley instead!

coma.png
    1920 x 1080 - 3M
  • Frosting on this disaster cake: this was also close to an airport, so I got some great Airbus 230 foley instead!

Check topics about .spectrum audio tools. Must work for Airbus to some extent.