Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
PTool 3.60d topic
  • 259 Replies sorted by
  • I noticed the pulsing too, it may be caused by VIMEO compression. No Original file available for download to test. The hair detail, fur on the dog and nets are near perfection. If I have this kind of quality at 30p I would be in heaven.
  • something funny going on with the texture of the sea though if i'm not mistaken ? especially check 04:18- 04:23 is that "pulse" aliasing?
  • We should perhaps comment on his vimeo page so he might be a bit more precise.
  • No encoder settings/GOP
    Bc w/ those, we could actually confirm if its true..
  • Tried testing those but bitrate never goes above 24Mbit. He must have something we don't! :)
  • @EOSHD

I think the key settings are mentioned in the Vimeo description, but I could be wrong. Haven't updated my GH2 yet to see myself.
  • hey guys this is a fantasic clip.. I can't find nothing worse, it's absolutely perfect for me.
  • Is he sharing the settings yet? Looking forward to seeing if he can get it stable, but hopefully he will test in open on here.
  • Somebody posted a video on vimeo with the stalin hack test

• @theshooter
    you are in too much of a hurry. Vitaliy has stated HDMI output is not No. 1 priority. My guess is that after we get a hang on how the encoder behaves so we can get reliable higher bitrates and get proper 25p, which are top priority, then other improvements will be investigated further.
  • Just curious is there will be an option to fix crippled HDMI output signal for external recording via Atomos Ninja or other HDMI recording devices. Thanks!
  • Ahhrgh, somehow uploading images doesn't work here, is there another magic trick, apart from png...? Cropped it to make it smaller, but still around 500k - shouldn't be the problem though I think... Also tried jpg, bmp...
  • @LPowell

Its on like Donkey Kong! Release the hounds! I like the Grey by the way. I still wish I had my original Grey GH2.
  • News about AGC settings; 2 last digits in hexadecimal are concerning the sensivity: 00 is the most sensitive, FF is the least. I'm following exploring the 2 first digits, I haven't found how to disable the limiter (which is the condition to be able to calibrate the modulation) yet.
  • I don't know about you, but when I took mine out of the box it was very startling to see the alligatory grip. Have fun!
  • looks good lpowell, just in time. now the testing starts
    P1040510.JPG
    640 x 480 - 176K
  • > Only the max. clip length is always 2:39 min., is there any way we can remove this limit?

Most probably no. It is 2Gb file size limit :-)

>About screenshots

Check your format. Use PNG with normal size and all will work.
  • So I tried some 720p Mpeg settings, and it was quite interesting: with the above Mpeg settings, I got 115 Mbit for a high detailed scene and 100 Mbit for a low detail scene... And funny enough, I recorded this with a class 4 sandisc card, with no problems (20 seconds test shot)!
    Then I shot with high mpeg settings (quality 400, 300, 250, 188; table 4, 4, 4, 4), with another class10 card, and the data rate went up to 126 Mbit. 1 minute continuous shooting with this setting was no problem either. Only the max. clip length is always 2:39 min., is there any way we can remove this limit?

I attached 2 screenshots, not really surprising the mpeg looks way better... Hmm seems like the image uploading function doesn't work, anyone interested please send me a pm.
  • Hi Vitaly,

first, thank you for your great work.

unfortunately I did not have the gh1, so i don't have any experiences to hack a camera.

The current patch version is for testers to find out whats possible with the camera, correct?
    Comes the next version with functioning settings, how long has it lasted to have the final settings for the GH1?

Thanks, Nitro
  • @Vitaliy Ok, clearer for me like this, thank you
  • But will be helped if I could understand the tip about AGC level: "high and low bytes play different roles" By byte you intend first or second digit of the number ? What about the third digit (as the one in original level 4 AGC)? Do you think one digit is for sensitivity and second for limiter level ?

Word consists from two bytes.
    Like 0xAABB consist from 0xAA and 0xBB. As you can see I am talking about hex representation.
    You can see hex in Ptool also.
    It is easy to see that AGC 3 and AGC 2 settings differ only in Hi byte - 0x010A instead of 0x000A.
  • @VK: I tried to tweak the AGC sound settings clapping hands near the stereo mike but not scientific enough method:) So, I will explore AGC sound settings with a 1 Khz generator as soon I can get my jack 2,5' adaptor. But will be helped if I could understand the tip about AGC level: "high and low bytes play different roles" By byte you intend first or second digit of the number ? What about the third digit (as the one in original level 4 AGC)? Do you think one digit is for sensitivity and second for limiter level ?
  • Do you know if my Lexar Platinum II class 6 cards are good for using with this hack. If so, what is the maximum video bitrate that I can use with those. They are stated as 100x write speed. On their official website it says "speed up to class 10". I have 3 card, each 32 GB and I cannot afford right now to buy some class 10 ones.
  • Ok thx, first I'll simply send the card back, seems to be hardware issue anyway, makes it easier :)

Regarding Mjpg / 720p compression settings: you're right, forgot a bit about the details, I suppose - trying this now:
    - 30 minute limit
    - PAL-NTSC
    - Mpeg 720p: E1 Quality = 280, E1 Table = 4, E2 Quality = 250, E2 Table = 10, E3 Quality = 225, E3 Table = 24, E4 Quality = 200, E4 Table = 48 (some older 60 Mbit LPowell settings for the Lenin hack, I found in the web)

So now praying for my Sandisc not to get bricked as well, haha! I'll let you know - but in case Mpeg settings sound funny / dangerous, I'd be happy if someone notifies me :-)
This topic is closed.
← All Discussions