Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
GH? What I'd like to have in a DSLR or Hybrid camera
  • Here's what I'd like to have in a GH? (Granted I know I'm dreaming)

Depending on how this new AVC codec works: forget 4K, gimme 4:4:4 or at least 4:2:2 1080p at around 80Mb/s native, and 120fps option. And at least a flat, if not RAW, option. (2k is nice...but I'm a realist. I'd rather it be Prores as well, but again....realist) I know the current sensor won't do this, so obviously a new sensor but with the same great quality of the GH2 sensor, hopefully minus the moire.

Give me 2 to 4 more stops of DR (Even 2 would be HUGE!)

better I/O (I don't need xlr's, just a way to get audio in, and a headphone jack)

A clean 3200 ISO (6400 would be nice, but I don't really need it)

Built in selectable ND

False Color or some sort of waveform monitor instead of a histogram.

Better EVF (one that's more flexible/ adjustable as far as angle)

And if it performs as well in terms of sharpness and clarity as the GH2, and if VK and Driftwood can hack it up to a stable 220 M/bits, I'd have one hell of a camera, maybe the BEST HD production Camera on the planet. It would likely be the size of a 5D or a Scarlet, but I'm okay with that. the GH2 is TINY.

I'd pay $3000 for it, easy. (I know I'm dreaming, cuz its worth more than that) I would use it as a C-cam on every shoot. ( I can't now cuz, most of the stuff I get hired to do has a high DR, and you have to light differently for the GH2 or sacrifice detail in either the highlights or shadows) While my guys are operating A and B, I'd be running around with it getting extra coverage. Hell, I'd probably just convince the producers to shoot the whole show with GH?s.

I know most TV guys still wouldn't use it cuz no Genlock, but with the multi-cam functionality of the newer NLEs, you don't really need it anymore, unless you're doing live TV.

sigh dream time over

• 3 Replies sorted by
  • @shian It would be a dream but in reality it would never happen with the GH series cause they are already working on a High end 4k Cinema Camera Prototype by them putting all the goodness in the new GH would pretty much sabotage their effort with the Cinema Cam. I hear you I don't think it would be too hard for them to make it happen.

• one more thing - if not a waveform monitor, at least give me an option like the old HVX200 meter to read IRE percentages with the spot meter instead of the =/- EVs. That feature was handy.

• @shian: You'll get all that but with 4K in the future. We can't avoid 4K. Its going to be as common as starbucks coffee. :) Even in a point-shoot form.