Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Rode NTG-2 with Zoom H4n problems, choosing alternatives
  • I tried to work with a boom to capture sound for a testimonial statement with this combination and I was really dissapointed. One meter distance max 1,5 and I had to push recording levels up to nearly max and result was still low. I could save the take by pushing the levels in final cut and cover the upcoming noise with overlay of atmosphere sound. This ist not the plan for upcoming jobs in the future.

After some reasearch I found out I am not alone. H4n seems to have a cheap PreAmp and NTG-2 low recording level too. At the moment my bugdet is low too so what would be best to improve the situation? Buy a new affordable mic? A preamp like Rode D Power Plug or TritonAudio FatHead? It should be a portable, battery powered and able to be handled easily by one person (the one with the boom)

Thanks for sharing your experience.

• 105 Replies sorted by
  • Personally I think the Sennheiser MKE-600 is far superior to the Rode NTG-2 its only £50 more and you get a lot nicer directionality, clearer, off axis sounds do not sound messy, it has a really nice vocal sound to it, more like a decent large diaphragm capacitor microphone.

• @Sangye Thanks for reporting that as I was considering a Zoom H4N to Rode NTG-2 setup for upcoming project. If you have any samples/work that you've done with the Tascam DR-60D with Rode NTG-2, I'd love to have a listen if you have or can upload to YouTube or something. Thanks.

• Yes it was the cheapest recorder with xlr and phantom power. I was surprised it became so popular with video people as it really is intended as a musicians tool and for the price it is very useful. It is sort of a swiss army knife of audio. Can be used as a D.I box, a external preamp, guitar tuner, guitar FX pedal, 4 track recorder..etc. It is a great device but not the best sounding pre amps. Although I have got some good recordings from it. I agree the tascam dr60 has very nice preamps for the price. I was very disappointed when mine broke after only using it for a few days.

• Always surprised to see how common the H4n is. Having owned one for a year, I can categorically say that it sucks. I think the reason why people are still buying it is that there was a time, 5 or so years ago, when it was the only affordable recorder with XLR plugs. When the DSLR wave happened, everyone was recommending it for that reason alone. In the mean time Tascam and others have built far superior XLR recorders at the same price point or cheaper, but the massive deluge of recommendations of the H4n still exist on the internet. If you search cheap XLR recorder for DSLR, you'll find posts from years ago recommending it.

The H4n should be thought of as an overpriced stereo sound recorder (it's not bad as that), that happens to have XLR, but which absolutely cannot be used in a professional capacity due to noise levels and poor gain.

I quite like my Tascam DR-60D, which I am using with an NTG-2 without any problems, but at this point if you can afford to wait and pay a little more, I'd hold off for the DR-70D. That thing looks very very nice.

• I have had two Tascams which broke on set. One was faulty when it arrived. The SNR in the specs was nothing like it was in reality.

What exact models you had? You made measurements?

My H4n broke after a few years of light use. They are all toys compared to the more pro recorders.

Cool. I just do not understand why you being professional had H4n for years :-) As it is really worse than portable Tascam recorders (and is really that you like to describe as plastic junk).

• I have had two Tascams, one broke on set in the middle of a take. One was faulty when it arrived. The SNR in the specs was nothing like it was in reality. I honestly think to produce recorders with such features as they are they are cutting serious corners in quality control. CF card restrictions like? If you're making a film you record relatively short recordings. Its not worth messing around with these cheap recorders if you are making a serious film, or if you expect reliability for years. My H4n broke after a few years of light use. They are all toys compared to the more pro recorders.

• the only reliable recorder that is anywhere near affordable is the Fostex FR2-LE

It is also quite old, uses CF cards and has some CF size restrictions.

What is so wrong with DR-680 or new Tascams?

• The Rode ntg-2 is not a very good mic and the zoom h4n is not a great recorder. The sennheiser MKE-600 mic is much better and a similar price, the only reliable recorder that is anywhere near affordable is the Fostex FR2-LE. It gives the best SNR and is a professional piece of kit not like all these plastic unreliable things with loads of extra features you will never use.

• Sennheiser MKH416 vs Sennheiser ME66 vs. ME64 vs RODE NTG3 vs RODE NTG2 vs NTG1

• I just bought an AT897 shotgun mic and am using it in combination with a Tascam DR-40. The mic sounds really good so far and it can use phantom power or a AA battery (apparently for 1200 hours). So far I have been using a battery and haven't had any issue with gain or levels. Full specs and a review here:

http://www.videomaker.com/article/12670/

• http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_sacat=0&_nkw=cloudlifter&_nkwusc=cloud+lifter&_rdc=1 just found these preamps. No idea about quality, but looks interesting. No batteries needed as it will use the 48V phantom power from the Zoom H4n.

cloudlifter.jpg
    400 x 206 - 15K
  • @kavadni my NTG-2 produces a lot of noise. Either the level is low or it produces a lot of noise if I push the levels even with the R-26. My new Sennheiser ME 66 is way far better!

• I also use Roland R-26 and NTG-2 ... very happy. I've had the NTG-2 for about 5 years, the R26 I purchased when it was released.

As an aside .. I have both mini and full size rode boompoles and the blimp. The full size pole gets really heavy, if I had the bucks, I'd invest in a carbon fibre boompole

• @spacewig I would be interested in circuits of a high quality preamp. My electronic skills are pretty much non existant, but I can solder and got a place with people to help me with this kind of stuff.

• I got Sound Devices MixPre (older version, not D).

Now my audio truly sounds like professional. No noise at all when gain is half way in MixPre. Highly recommended.

Started to wonder why do I even need H4n, because my videos will eventually end up to Youtube only. It works so great if I just connect MixPre directly to GH2 with LN2MIC-ZMGH-MON cable and workflow is so much simpler. Next I'm going to install audio hack to GH2.

I attach file with me speaking 1 meter away from MXL FR-300 mic, output directly to GH2 (no audio hack), gain @ 50% in MixPre. Just for fun, I added also some audio effects with Sony Vegas Pro to the second part, to make it sound more like TV commercial voice.

There is this weird crackling error noise at 00:06. Vegas seems to be generating those randomly. Does anyone know how to get rid of them?

audiotest.wav
    2M
  • @peaceonearth Oh yes - glad you like the ME66. It's a great mic. Just editing some stuff done with it right now. Amazing. One thing to watch, from experience using it in many shoots: it can create high-level transients and that can overload whatever it's plugged in to, so be conservative with your levels and use pads if need be. Take care of that, and it's the most amazing mic.

• so the Sennheiser ME66 arrived yesterday and I did a short test today. WOW. what a big difference to the Rode NTG-2. No noise, clear and rich sound. Thanks for all your input, it was very helpfull to me. If s.o. is interested in a comparison side by side feel free to send me a message.

• @spacewig I did sent the preamps back the same day. Shaking your mic inside the boom produces enough bass. No difference using low cut, so 36V is not sufficient for MKH-416.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev OK, will do later or tomorrow.

@muntus Hmm, those are about 3 times more expensive than the battery Vitaliy suggested. However, they will last about 3 times longer.... I will investigate it further tomorrow when I have some free time. Let's post about it in the new thread.

• I think it all goest to area that does not belong to this topic.

So, @spacewig, please start new one if you wish

• I'd say just make it 12v if you can and then use these cheap batteries with some velcro to mount them: http://www.ebay.com/itm/DC-12V-6800mAh-Super-Lithium-ion-Rechargeable-Li-ion-Battery-Energy-Storage-Pack-/150810984426?pt=US_Rechargeable_Batteries&hash=item231d08ffea They are super small(about 4"x2.5") and don't weigh much.

I've used similar batteries to run lcd screens on camera and the velcro has never failed me.

• @spacewig

I do not understand that you need. This part from charger can be removed and used in any place if you need (as other part is universal for many batteries).