Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Rode NTG-2 with Zoom H4n problems, choosing alternatives
  • 105 Replies sorted by
  • @spacewig. I am interested, but do not have too much time. Would be nice if there was some PCB´s to buy in the future, with parts list. So one day for soldering and building a small cabinet... BTW, I am having a little trouble with a german seller "Musicstore", who sell a mic preamp under their own brand called "Fame". A warning to those, who think this cheap preamp might be a solution: This "Fame MC-10" preamp ist just a piece of junk. The step-up transformer for the phantom power chirps, the units (I tested two of them) only provide 36V phantom power, even though you read 48V on the Front panel-and the ads. A shame, because in the owner´s manual, the phantom power is "correctly" stated as 36V. The subsonic filter does not seem to work on my MKH-416, probably because phantom is to weak or the circuit is also rubbish. Last but not least, you´ll get full scale after a quarter turn of the volume knob... This piece of j... costs 30Euros. They have a "review" at youtube. I guess they are fully aware of the flaws, I posted my evaluations twice , they deleted them twice within a day.

• How about external Sony batteries (like F550)?

I just looked it up as I don't know what this battery is but excellent idea as this would give you a lot of miles with the unit. I would love to have this unit run in class "a" which has a distinctly different sound, especially on the top end which I think would be great for vocals, but consumes about 3 - 7 times the amount of current.

The main problem would be finding the cradle for the battery. @Vitaliy_Kiselev can you source this part (cradle)? I would be more than happy to try if I had the right parts to work with.

• @frame Most phantom powered mics will work at a voltage between 18 - 52 volts so it is not really necessary to have +48 for a mic to work properly, though some mics will suffer if not powered sufficiently. What do you mean by subsonic filter? A low cut filter? Because an 80Hz cutoff filter will be very hard to hear unless you are recording sounds where most of the energy is in the bass frequencies.

"full scale after a quarter turn of the volume knob..." seems like they wired the volume pot incorrectly.

BTW, I just watched the video on YouTube, hahaha... That Oriental garden backdrop is priceless, adds some nice esoteric bullshit to the whole production. However, this might actually be a good unit to modify as it has a nice box and all the switches already in place. Frame, can you open the unit up and take sharp close-up pictures of the interior layout? You might be able to address the gain issue simply by swapping out one resistor. At that price I'd love to see what kind of components they are using. However just a box, XLR connectors, switches and potentiometer will cost you around that amount. Could be worth investigating further.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev Thanks for the effort but that's not what I meant. Getting the battery is one thing but finding the plastic cradle the battery sits in (like the one on the charger) is what I would need. If we had to use this battery the preamp would have to have the right moldings or some kind of compartment with the proper contacts for the battery.

• @spacewig

I do not understand that you need. This part from charger can be removed and used in any place if you need (as other part is universal for many batteries).

• I'd say just make it 12v if you can and then use these cheap batteries with some velcro to mount them: http://www.ebay.com/itm/DC-12V-6800mAh-Super-Lithium-ion-Rechargeable-Li-ion-Battery-Energy-Storage-Pack-/150810984426?pt=US_Rechargeable_Batteries&hash=item231d08ffea They are super small(about 4"x2.5") and don't weigh much.

I've used similar batteries to run lcd screens on camera and the velcro has never failed me.

• I think it all goest to area that does not belong to this topic.

So, @spacewig, please start new one if you wish

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev OK, will do later or tomorrow.

@muntus Hmm, those are about 3 times more expensive than the battery Vitaliy suggested. However, they will last about 3 times longer.... I will investigate it further tomorrow when I have some free time. Let's post about it in the new thread.

• @spacewig I did sent the preamps back the same day. Shaking your mic inside the boom produces enough bass. No difference using low cut, so 36V is not sufficient for MKH-416.

• so the Sennheiser ME66 arrived yesterday and I did a short test today. WOW. what a big difference to the Rode NTG-2. No noise, clear and rich sound. Thanks for all your input, it was very helpfull to me. If s.o. is interested in a comparison side by side feel free to send me a message.

• @peaceonearth Oh yes - glad you like the ME66. It's a great mic. Just editing some stuff done with it right now. Amazing. One thing to watch, from experience using it in many shoots: it can create high-level transients and that can overload whatever it's plugged in to, so be conservative with your levels and use pads if need be. Take care of that, and it's the most amazing mic.

• I got Sound Devices MixPre (older version, not D).

Now my audio truly sounds like professional. No noise at all when gain is half way in MixPre. Highly recommended.

Started to wonder why do I even need H4n, because my videos will eventually end up to Youtube only. It works so great if I just connect MixPre directly to GH2 with LN2MIC-ZMGH-MON cable and workflow is so much simpler. Next I'm going to install audio hack to GH2.

I attach file with me speaking 1 meter away from MXL FR-300 mic, output directly to GH2 (no audio hack), gain @ 50% in MixPre. Just for fun, I added also some audio effects with Sony Vegas Pro to the second part, to make it sound more like TV commercial voice.

There is this weird crackling error noise at 00:06. Vegas seems to be generating those randomly. Does anyone know how to get rid of them?

audiotest.wav
    2M
  • @spacewig I would be interested in circuits of a high quality preamp. My electronic skills are pretty much non existant, but I can solder and got a place with people to help me with this kind of stuff.

• I also use Roland R-26 and NTG-2 ... very happy. I've had the NTG-2 for about 5 years, the R26 I purchased when it was released.

As an aside .. I have both mini and full size rode boompoles and the blimp. The full size pole gets really heavy, if I had the bucks, I'd invest in a carbon fibre boompole

• @kavadni my NTG-2 produces a lot of noise. Either the level is low or it produces a lot of noise if I push the levels even with the R-26. My new Sennheiser ME 66 is way far better!

• http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_sacat=0&_nkw=cloudlifter&_nkwusc=cloud+lifter&_rdc=1 just found these preamps. No idea about quality, but looks interesting. No batteries needed as it will use the 48V phantom power from the Zoom H4n.

cloudlifter.jpg
    400 x 206 - 15K
  • I just bought an AT897 shotgun mic and am using it in combination with a Tascam DR-40. The mic sounds really good so far and it can use phantom power or a AA battery (apparently for 1200 hours). So far I have been using a battery and haven't had any issue with gain or levels. Full specs and a review here:

http://www.videomaker.com/article/12670/

• Sennheiser MKH416 vs Sennheiser ME66 vs. ME64 vs RODE NTG3 vs RODE NTG2 vs NTG1

• The Rode ntg-2 is not a very good mic and the zoom h4n is not a great recorder. The sennheiser MKE-600 mic is much better and a similar price, the only reliable recorder that is anywhere near affordable is the Fostex FR2-LE. It gives the best SNR and is a professional piece of kit not like all these plastic unreliable things with loads of extra features you will never use.

• the only reliable recorder that is anywhere near affordable is the Fostex FR2-LE

It is also quite old, uses CF cards and has some CF size restrictions.

What is so wrong with DR-680 or new Tascams?

• I have had two Tascams, one broke on set in the middle of a take. One was faulty when it arrived. The SNR in the specs was nothing like it was in reality. I honestly think to produce recorders with such features as they are they are cutting serious corners in quality control. CF card restrictions like? If you're making a film you record relatively short recordings. Its not worth messing around with these cheap recorders if you are making a serious film, or if you expect reliability for years. My H4n broke after a few years of light use. They are all toys compared to the more pro recorders.

• I have had two Tascams which broke on set. One was faulty when it arrived. The SNR in the specs was nothing like it was in reality.

What exact models you had? You made measurements?

My H4n broke after a few years of light use. They are all toys compared to the more pro recorders.

Cool. I just do not understand why you being professional had H4n for years :-) As it is really worse than portable Tascam recorders (and is really that you like to describe as plastic junk).