Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Driftwood VY Canis Majoris: This thread will now be integrated into 'Driftwood Series 6 Settings'
  • 901 Replies sorted by
  • All the new GOP1 Intra Canis Majoris settings are being finished off today and tomorrow after 8 weeks of filming and deliberation. Watch this space.

• @Driftwood Thanks Nick! Oh, but I need to point out that your planner made a slight mistake. I know that Thanksgiving is the last Thursday of the month, but it is the last Thursday in November. I do not mind celebrating it early, though. :)

• Cluster v2b is out for PAL & NTSC (very high HBR), Great 720p, Highest around mjpeg, best audio from Per Lichtmann (thepalalias' Pasadena Pulse), plus extreme 24p with highest available i frames on 24p under 6GOP.

Cluster v2d with sorted 2K mjpeg HD (I realised the wrong settings had been left in from last week's trialing)

Driftwood Cluster v2b PAL and NTSC - seti.zip
    Cluster v2 PAL.png
    1278 x 663 - 63K
    Driftwood Cluster v2d with hi quality 2K mjpeg - setj.zip
  • @Driftwood Thanks again for the kind words.

My only small comment is that it is Pasadena not Pasedena. :)

• Thank you Nick and @thepalalias for this. Also, are you in Pasadena thepalalias? If you are, I'm local to you (Arcadia). If you ever want to test anything, let me know :)

Sid

• @driftwood thanks again for your great work! Sorry that my technical understanding is very basic at least very low. Could somebody please translate this chart? How high is bit rate, do these settings span? (donated again)

• @leejb4..I agree with your point of view concerning the quality bkmcwd vs Sanity.

@rajamalik...you are right. No discussion concerning the visible quality and the reliability of driftwoods hacks. Orion v4b and Sedna A AQ1 - are my tops.

Concerning the incamera reliability and the differnet card types and sizes, Balazer,s Cake 2.3 - Lpowell,s Flow-Motion 2.. - and Ralph B,s Sanity 5.. do a very good job for/under different conditions and needs. I think.

• @driftwood @thepalalias Thanks for all you do.

@strancali I'm also here in Pasadena.

• @bueller Nice! If you ever want to meet up to shoot tests or whatever, let me know :)

• @strancali Cool that you are local. :) Yeah, I am based in Pasadena. PM me and I will give you my e-mail. Bueller and I try things out from time to time.

And to everyone mentioning @bkmcwd settings they like: I cannot test and compare if you do not mention a specific setting and version. I am planning on comparing Cluster V1, V2 (maybe v3), Cake, Stock 1.1, No Adverse Effects, Sanity and a bkmwcd setting of your choosing at some point in the next 2 weeks. Right now editing Stowaway for the collaborative project has priority, though.

• Look above for an updated Cluster v2d with 2k 2048 x 1152 mjpeg.

• @driftwood I've been playing with V2 all day (I'll look at 2B later). Sedna is probably the most detailed but it can't handle a lot of action. CM is good but I'm not comfortable swapping patches all day.

Without looking at V2b, I can tell you that V2 is your all time best for an all around setting. It's amazing. I did a lot of handheld shots and fast pans and it handled it on both a 45mb and 95mb card. The color is great and I don't even have as much of the GH2 tint as usual. These clips could be used out of the camera and look reasonably good.

I owe the board a donation from Sanity 5 but it gets one for Cluster V2 also. Nice, nice work!

• @peternap. Are you talking about FMv2 or Cluster v2? Because Cluster v2b is the first one that @driftwood posted yesterday.

• so cluster 2vd is the same as 2vb apart of the 2K mjpeg ?

• 2a (the 12 GOP/6 GOP combi cluster) was the first on the other thread (not this the Canis thread). All later v2 clusters (clusters of experimental GOPs) are only 6 GOP.

@luxis yep

• @thepalalias sounds great :)

• @driftwood

All the new GOP1 Intra Canis Majoris settings are being finished off

That means also 50p all intra? THX!

• CLUSTER v2e

Ok this is just about right and NOW with in camera playback too. Please experiment and let me know how you get on with this lill' babe. This will not 'dropout', fallback (call it what u wish) unlike other settings Ive seen of late.

Superb allround setting for people who want that bit more!

At ease.

Cluster v2e -6 GOP - with in cam pback and 2k mjpeg - setb.zip
  • from 0 to 5 in two days! ; )

• 2k???? 2k how many frames per second???

• V2e tryout: when I hit rec button it stopped in a sec and froze the cam (after flashing and formatting the card ) in 720p50 but I think its because of 20mm1.7 Auto focus hunting. I reformat the card and first shot some 24p H for couple of mins and shot several 720p50 s worked just fine. İQ is excellent I think. at iso 400 F1.7 S50 low light performance is also superb. card is 32gb 30mbs sandisk. Lowering the bitrate really worked I guess. will keep testing. Thank you Driftwood.will donate again.asap.

• @Driftwood thanks again first and foremost. Second, what's your favorite patch of all of them that will record at least a minute on a 95mbs card? I'm just curious, also has anyone ever considered deleting audio recording and using the bandwidth for image quality? For projects where audio is either recorded separate or not needed. Again thanks for your hard work.

• @driftwood : any chance we'll be seeing a green screen specific version soon? I've got a shoot on the 18th and it will be heavy on the GS. I plan to use CMNight for the other shots.

• @thepalalias 30 hmm good ya,...if it does 2k 24frames then we don't need to shoot on 1080p I believe. Raw 2k he he,..just kiddin. What is the major difference between mjpeg 2k and a traditional 1080p 24 ???

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions