Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Driftwood VY Canis Majoris: This thread will now be integrated into 'Driftwood Series 6 Settings'
  • 901 Replies sorted by
  • @thepalalias thanks, that clarifies everything.

• CM "NIGHT" TEST.. Smooth -2 -2 -2 -2..FD50mm 1.4..FD28mm 2.8.."Apologize for the audio spiking" This is some test footage I did for a friends music video,I'm by no means a colorist so I did this rough grade playing around to see how far I could push it..I don't have the best monitors so I did my best,but I think the image quality is pretty good and holds up well..I did notice some artifacts in the shadows but that may be contributed to my lackluster grading skill far as not knowing the "do's & don't's" not to mention vimeo compression..

In this scenario I used 1 softbox to add to the existing light,my ISO was 160-640"can't remember if I did the iso bug trick"I was just wondering would this be the typical lowlight situation this patch would work best in?or is it more geared towards a lit subject with complete darkness etc..I'm still learning the "in's and outs" of troubled areas with this camera,far as what to expect in certain scenarios..I do know I attempted this exact shoot with "GOLGOP3-13-SednaAQ1C"and the results of this patch were far superior in this identical setting..Anyone do you think I would have gotten better results in the shadows with Standard profile?@driftwood donation coming friday,first time trying one of your patches.

Password:Test

Capture.PNG
    1272 x 640 - 434K
  • @thepalalias Thanks, that was the most complete explanation I have heard on the recording limits tools. Here is something related which I am curious about http://news.softpedia.com/news/Silicon-Power-Intros-64GB-SDXC-UHS-1-Class-10-Memory-Card-247134.shtml Although the write speeds are much lower than our sandisk cards, it claims no 4gb limit, So, would this mean this card would have no issues with removing the limits? Not the fastest write speeds I realize, but I suspect it may be a bit of a wolf in sheeps clothing as I have one of their SSD drives that is 300 MB/s. If not this card, I think their next card may be of interest for Driftwoods higher end patches.

@EYESOUL I am not an expert, but I think overall you have a nice look. Sorta reminds me of old school videos in the closeups, but on the wider shots it seems closer to the modern look.

• A couple more ungraded night shots of Akihabra using VY Canis Majoris NIGHT. These are both EX TELE, using 2500 ISO, a shutter speed of 100, Standard setting 0 0 0 0, and the panny 14-42 lens. A bit grainy, but there is something about these two shots I like.

• @mee it's funny because I was able to shoot the footage in my above video with a class 6 32gb trancend card with no errors and the footage averaged 120mbps..but what's even more strange is it would fail on the class 10 version of the same card,16gb and 32gb..I knew spanning would not work but on my class 6 it completed every 3:57 take until the card was full..I wouldn't recommend this card but it's my most stable card with CM"night" so far aside from my sandisk 30mb/s cards,I should say in a controlled lowlight environment atleast,haven't tried it in daylight yet.

• @EYESOUL that was awesome! I need to test this patch.

• @mee As far as I know, it is the camera that has a 4GB limit, indiscriminate of the card. Even when we are spanning, the split point is at 4GB. Therefore, it is difficult to discern whether there would be any performance advantage to that card. If someone wants to provide one, I would be happy to test it in a fashion similar to what I did with the SanDisk 64GB, starting with the CM settings. However, I imagine most people would rather spend hours doing controlled tests themselves. :)

• @thepalalias it's not a limit of the camera it's MS DOS FAT formatting of the card which does not allow files with more than 4GB

• @thepalalias, I need to check again, but I believe the 64GB silicon power card may have been just up the road from me for a very very reasonable price. At the very least I can check the spanning, if Peaceonearth is right it should span since it uses the exFAT system not MS DOS FAT. So if it is super cheap and spans/works well, maybe I can send one your way as a sorta contribution to the project since I am sure you can do better testing than lil ol mee.

• @mee thanks,yea I thought the same thing far as the closeups,only if I were going for that look lol I love my canon fd50mm,I think it brings such a vintage feel to a image..maybe not the most suitable lens for trying to achieve a glossy modern look,yet still I love the image it produces with the Driftwood patch.

• @peaceonearth Partly correct - as several people on the site have mentioned, though the exFAT system supports larger than 4GB files, using exFAT cards (like the 64GB SDXC offerings from SanDisk and Transcend) has not resulted in the creation of greater than 4GB files. The internal software has to support the larger files and so far there has not been proof that it does. Of course there is no reason why it would be impossible to do so. The issue is not entirely unlike the memory addressing support one faced by each OS (though that is of course RAM, not filesize) and the way that 32-bit applications running on 64-bit OSes cannot address as much RAM as native 64-bit ones on the same OS (or the way that not all 64-bit OSes can address the same amount of memory). Basically, there is no evidence as of yet that Panasonic went "all the way" with the exFAT support. Hope that there is a way around it.

@mee I also hope I am wrong about this, but even if I am not, it might still perform competitvely with SanDisk 64GB 95MB/s since the spanning issue is rather complicated. Thanks for the generous possibility. :)

• @eyesoul Great work just watch your video really clean, you did a good with the coloring as well keep up the good work.

• Here is two stills from a video i shot with quantum x v2 :

1.png
    1274 x 533 - 1M
    2.png
    1274 x 532 - 1M
  • Back to nature I go. These were shot using my old new Canon FD 100-300mm Macro lens (V2) I posted these in the FD lens topic too, hoping to get some feedback on this lens. All videos were shot with Driftwoods VY Canis Majoris Night (will test with day soon), with setting at standard 0 0 0 0

first video was shot wide open at 5.6 with 125 shutter speed and ISO 640
    Second video was shot at either F8 or F11 with 125 shutter speed and ISO 640
    third video was shot in EX TELE wide open at 5.6 with 125 shutter speed at ISO 640
    fourth video was shot in EX TELE at maximum zoom wide open at 5.6 with 125 shutter speed at ISO 640

• @cinemon - those look great.

• Hi there, has anyone experienced a kind of yellowish tint to the images either using Sedna or CM? I change the White balance in camera and it looks fine on the LCD but when I bring it back into Premiere or convert with 5d2rgb it looks kind of greeny yellowish.

• @skaiman, Just curious to know have you done the safe test with the CM Night setting on the skin tones. Be interesting to see how it compares.

• @mee nice shots, lenses look great.

• @cinemon beautiful man! how did you add that grain?

• @cinemon those are really nice. Would be interesting to see how they look in motion (if possible).

@johnnym thanks, Good to hear some feedback. Personally I am really pleased with this lens after just two days of testing, but I am no lens expert.

• Sorry if this has been answered elsewhere, but when importing Canis footage into Premiere should i be using Intra codec ? thanks in advance

• Shot this yesterday with majoris skintone.. standard -2 all

I can't remember if white balance was set to auto or daylight, but I'm using a cheap nd filter at the moment until the b+w arrives and I feel it shifts the color slightly. Does anything scream out to any of you?

I did bump the contrast a little in the color curve in vegas and slowed to 80%

I put the mts through 5dtorgb and uploaded the original

• @mrttt Skin tones looks a little too magenta to me. Compensate with green to reduce that. Other than that I don't really know what to tell you, it all depends on what kind of project it is and the mood you want. Try different stuff, learn the tools. But always start off with correcting skin tones, then grade to fit the aesthetic you want.

• Thanks. I'm helping a make up artist showcase some of her work. She likes the saturated/contrasty look. So anything I deliver will be "awesome." I guess my question is to those with the discerning eye, what if anything needs to be changed from the original?

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions