Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Driftwood VY Canis Majoris: This thread will now be integrated into 'Driftwood Series 6 Settings'
  • 901 Replies sorted by
  • @peternap I couldn't agree more on the fine noise of Nick's masterpieces. I've previously used Sedna but before I had the Sandisk 95Mb/s cards I used much simpler settings. I see such great improvement and would recommend everybody buying a GH2 because of hacking to higher bitrate, to get only the best/fast cards to get the maximum out of it.

• @skaiman I love your footage! I LOVE the ungraded look you got from it (like a baby alexa) :). I will try out this patch.

edit: I forgot to ask if you had a custom WB and if so, what's the setting? It seems to be more towards the "teal" color. Have you tried this patch at night?

• @mee In 720p 60fps you shoot best @ 120th. In 25p HBR 50th/100th is good, for 30p HBR 60th etc, Always double the shutterspeed c.t. the framerate. I use variable ND filters to always get 50th or 100th (125th) shutterspeed in Europe when i shoot in daylight. Combination of grey and polarising works fine in bright sunlight. Even with my Leica 25mm 1.4 @ 1.8 i get low shutterspeeds @ 160 iso- works fine! Love your nightcity footage b.t.w.

• @skaiman Thanks for the comparisons. Always nice to get some shots of human beings and seeing it both ungraded and graded was nice too.

• @ishvar, thanks, I am aware of this rule, but with 720p 60fps, it's not possible to follow this rule anytime florescent lights are around, as I get allot of flicker at film speeds of both 60 and 125. 100 speed really seems to be the sweet spot. I wish we could raise and lower the speed by increments of 1 though, since I am sure there are other sweet spots to be found.

• @ishvar Honestly, I think the 180 degree shutter rule is a needless vestige of the past. Shutter speed is a parameter to control creatively, just like any other. Don't think that you have to stick to film convention. Slower shutter speeds can give you the extra little bit of light you need while shooting certain scenes, whereas faster shutter speeds can help a lot if you're shooting fast-moving objects and wan't minimal motion blur (or are planning to use software slow-motion effects, such as Twixtor). Fast shutter speeds can also create a jarring image, which can be used to dramatic effect (as seen in Saving Private Ryan).

In general, 1/50 is a pretty good balance of letting in a good amount of light and preserving some motion blur while still being useable for hand-held work, but don't stick to it unnecessarily. Unless you're a pseudo-traditionalist obsessed with "recreating" the film look in a completely different medium.

• @skaiman's test is awesome. So flat. Amen @Driftwood - CM for the win!

• With all due respect, am I the only one who does not like skin tones in @skaiman's test? I viewed it on two different computers, for me it is way to much magenta and to much saturated too. Or did I misunderstand and it's a sample how far you can push these settings in grading?

• I too have to agree with you. Too much magenta. its hard to just view test footage because its out of context. lets see CM graded in a narrative short. one of my favorite GH2 work i have seen is Musgo trailer ...search on vimeo. this is the perfect example that the GH2 can acheive the canon filmlook. I am very impressed buy the GH2 but to call it a baby Alexa is bold statement. I have been using CM Night today to shoot some test footage in a subway for an upcoming short. Will see how it grades. Also took some skin tone shots.

• @driftwood thank you for all CM patches,.. when other CMz are gonna get released??? any announcement yet???

• @rajamalik

when other CMz are gonna get released??? any announcement yet???

that's funny. I lost completly overview and went back from Mysterium to Sedna C

• @peaceonearth Thank you for your honest comment, it is indeed too magenta-ish. I think the main reason for "bad" grading is the lack of a proper monitor. The one I normally use is at a repair-center right now. The other reason is that I'm definitely not a professional colorist so excuse me for that:). Nonetheless it is indeed quite a good example of what these Soft Skin Tone setting is capable of in terms of quality.

• @peaceonearth see CM has night pm and skin at present,.. but there are more than 3 setting to come,.. @skaiman i heard CM night grades better than any previous patches,.. but all CMs are vbr,..

• @rajamalik I haven't got the time to check out the CM Night setting, dunno about the grading capabilities. As night is particulary designed to be used for night scenes I don't think I'll need it that much but the tests I saw from other users were pretty amazing. I will check the Day PM and upcoming Day AM however to see what that holds for me. Else I'll stick with the Soft Skin Tone for now to skip updating the firmware each time.

• @skaiman @peaceonearth Agreed on the magenta, but the dynamic range you can achieve because of the flatness of the original will be amazing - that was originally the wow factor for me. Given a proper screen of course, when colour grading you will be able to bring shadows to life and tame highlights with ease. So well done on proving a point @skaiman

• Thanks for the positive/constructive comments on my footage. Much appreciated, I will make some other tests with the Day PM setting, looking forward to your feedback guys.

• @skaiman how did you achieve such a flat look on the original footage?

• VY Canis Majoris Night

Thanks @driftwood

• @artardi 4:27PM thank you artardi. I like it very much. Very impressive musicians and footage.

• @redbaron a lot of people ask me how I got it so flat, I think the answer is simple.. it was cloudy? :) There wasn't anything special I did that isn't stated in the video info. f1.7 on a cloudy day with an ND up front and a spot to light subject aperently works best for a flat image.

@artardi very nice video, beautiful music! I love the opening shot, thanks for sharing. How is the Night setting working out for you, there is a possibility I need to make a music video with such dark scenes, only subject lit. Is the noise fine/clean? Do you have enough grading possibilities without compromising/ruining anything? Please tell me how you worked with it.

• @gokuan003 yep see canis is not yet released completely,.. there are more to come,.. total 7 patches but sir @driftwood released only 3 and few more to come,....soon,..but none is sure abt release dates,..

• @thepalalias hai i read few threads abt CM pm,..did u compared it with CM night,...

• ;) Thank you for your precisions for further CM. I tested version Day, strangely I like a lot less during the day that the version Night ...

• Can someone please clarify re: recording limit on Skin Tone Soft... to remove the limit, should one uncheck "Recording limit" under Extra, and check "30min limit removal" under Movie related restrictions? The tooltip contradicts this, saying "Do not use with 30min removal" in regard to the Recording limit checkbox.

• @sangye

I will use the European GH2 for the purpose of explaining the examples, but most of it applies to other regions.

If you do not check the recording limit and do not check 30 min removal, no file can be longer than 30 minutes (29:59).

If you do not check recording limit and do check 30 min removal, your files can be as long as the combination of your card and setting can handle.

If you do check recording limit but do not check 30 minute removal, then the files will end when they reach the recording limit you specified and stop recording.

If you do check recording limit and do check 30 minute removal, then there may be some sort of conflict and it unclear what exactly happens.

In other words, you should only check one or the other. You should either remove the limit or set a specific limit.

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions