Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Fancier FC-470 tripod
  • This is not a review yet.
    Just initial observations.

Good quality and handy tripod. Not very cheap.
    Legs. Better than EI717 legs.
    Adjustable mid spreader and locks are more handy.
    Legs have spikes and removable rubber boots.
    Head. Very good.
    Counterbalance is adjustable without steps, this is big plus.
    But. Not really suitable in current state for small cameras.
    As actual minimum of normally working counterbalance needs full rig with monitor, battery, counterweights, not small lens. :-)
    Even then weight can be small. You need something around 3.5-4.5Kg at minimum CB adjustment.
    Otherwise initial impressions are pretty ok. Drag adjustments work. Head do not have micro stucks with largest drag.

GH1 with Samyang 14mm looks small on this head.

I'll update this topic after testing it with full rig and 35mm Rokinon lens:

Links:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fancier-FC-470-Video-Camera-Tripod/dp/B004WJ9KPQ (they changed page recently depicting tripod now with 717 legs)
    http://www.chinafancier.com/enproduct_largerimage.asp?id=1023&fl=267
    fancier.jpg
    700 x 1053 - 80K
    35mm.jpg
    500 x 332 - 21K
  • 33 Replies sorted by
  • Has anyone else had this happen? Is there a way to fix it? Very odd that this happened.

Just go to ebay and check bubble levels, small round ones are very cheap.

I'm still curious to hear if anyone here ever replaced the spring for the larger spring for heavier loads and if so, do you have instructions on how to do it?

I don't have instructions, but as you start disassembling head you got idea yourself.

• I've had the FC-04H from the PV deals for almost a year now and overall I'm super happy with it. I went a couple of months not using it due to other commitments then pulled it out of the bag last week to find that my bubble level is no longer working... All the fluid is gone from it - who knows where!

Has anyone else had this happen? Is there a way to fix it? Very odd that this happened.

On a related note, I'm still curious to hear if anyone here ever replaced the spring for the larger spring for heavier loads and if so, do you have instructions on how to do it?

• Found video reviews of 7063 and 7085 heads and kits

• >"Intuitively" CB could help balance a tripod. I'm just guessing.

You intuition is wrong.
    As I said, all must be balanced for CB to work.
    And, of course, no camera movement is possible.
  • I meant a complete vertical position for a slider. Then a camera moves up and down vertically. The tilt lock may not be enough to stabilize a tripod.

"Intuitively" CB could help balance a tripod. I'm just guessing.
  • >CB can stabilize a tripod when a slider sits more vertically.

Sorry, I do not understand.
    If you want to tilt slider, use tilt lock.
    CB do not work properly with anything that is not properly balanced.
  • CB can stabilize a tripod when a slider sits more vertically. To reach to lower position, edge end side of a slider could sit on a tripod.

BTW I don't own a slider... yet. Maybe next year.
  • @stonebat

How do you plan to use CB for a slider?
  • 5kg CB would be nice when using a slider on a single tripod.
  • @brianluce
    I much prefer to have 0-5kg CB range.
    But with current FC-04H design it is impossible.
    Btw, one of the flaws is that this head do not have 0 CB setting.
  • @Stonebat
    I've shot with 504, it's quite nice and I don't think it deserves all the trashing it's received. One thing though, it seems like it's engineered for a bigger camera, the CB doesnt work that well on a GH2. V's mods are significant compared to the 504 and just about all else out there south of the Vinten Blue because of the CB payload. And the 504 isn't cheap either.
  • >How does it compare with 504HD?

I do not have 504HD to tell you.
    FC04H construction seems more rigid, it is all metal.
    Plus all adjustments are not stepped.
  • How does it compare with 504HD?
  • @brianluce

As far as I aware, no.
    They did not make such heads in production.
    It is prototype sample.

I'll try to inform as soon as they'll start producing them.
  • @Vitaliy
    This looks perfect. Is it possible to order it? Those are greats mods, especially the CB.
  • I got slightly customized FC-04H head.

First, and most important, counterbalance range is now 1-3kg.

Also 3/8" screw can be now stored below QR plate.

1/4" threaded holes added on both sides to mount things (like monitors on arm, etc)

head1.jpg
    800 x 531 - 65K
    head2.jpg
    800 x 531 - 47K
    head3.jpg
    800 x 531 - 50K
  • This look A LOT better than my similarly priced Libec Tripod.
  • It works.
    You can look at Cavision website to see original (as this is some kind of copy).
    I do not like few screws (ones that hold legs, legs are wastly inferior to Cavision) and ones that hold angle.
    Plus note that this thing weights in about 6.5-7kg range. 1.2m 15mm steel rods mostly.
  • Looks very interesting too. Maybe you can share your experience with this last one (unless you've already done that in some other thread)?
  • >What do you think?

Don't know how it'll perform, really.

I got
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Wieldy-Dolly-Track-mini-rail-slider-skater-5d2-7D-DV-/120744279793
    recently.
    It has some flaws, but it works.
  • Ok. You know, the more I read, the more I'm thrilled. Have you seen that http://www.eimagevideo.com/enproductSeries.asp?fl=188? What do you think?
  • @GOODEMPIRE

It is not outdated.
    This is just branding.
    FC tripods are Fancier branded.
    So you can see them on Fancier site only.
  • Wow. They have all sorts of support gear there too! So the fact that I don't see FC-470 on their web site shouldn't confuse me? This is just another brand? Or is it a bit outdated and that's where the low price comes from....? I think I'll pay a visit to my bank tomorrow
  • @GOODEMPIRE

Both Fancier and EImage are parts of Weifeng.
    Largest tripod producer in the world.
  • Hm. Checked their company's profile. It is linked to this http://www.eimagevideo.com/enproducts.asp and it looks good.