Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
BlackMagic: Official $2,995 raw cinema camera topic
  • 1156 Replies sorted by
  • @shian

I don't even know how to respond to your post, but if anyone cancels their pre-order based on your word, I feel sorry for them. You've misrepresented so many things with that post that it'd take a line-by-line response to clear them up.

• @kholi

I do not see any big misrepresentation. You can check FAQ and most things correlate to it, and it is mostly based on John's words or official specs.
    Thing is that he expected to see finished product, but it looks like it is in same early state.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev

I've read every single thing about the camera, I was at the event. That post is so out of bounds it's ridiculous.

• I've read every single thing about the camera, I was at the event.

And, it makes your point of view the only one possible?

That post is so out of bounds it's ridiculous.

I suggest to check your words here.

• @Vitaliy_kiselev

It makes a difference between FACT and FICTION.

What he posted wasn't fact. Over HALF of it was cleared up three or four times each, the same questions. Has NOTHING to do with anyone's point of view.

• What makes SDI more expensive (it seems to always be) than HDMI for manufacturers ti implemement? Is it the chips? Because it's not the connector itself.

I use A few HDMI->SDI converters and the reverse .. as I can buy 20m of Belden 1505F for $100 whereas I can't buy a 20m HDMI cable that works.

• @kholi I agree with you.

Another question, in the faq it states that it won't work with ATEM switchers, where did this information come from?

• in the faq it states that it won't work with ATEM switchers, where did this information come from?

Black Magic answer as I remember.

• Listen I went there looking to be convinced to buy one. I expected to see the "miracle cam" that was written and blogged about at NAB. I saw "a work in progress" it's not nearly as far along as the first Red One, and it took a 2nd processor and about 20 firmware updates to get that thing in the ballpark.

I talked to the techs, and they seemed very evasive. To me that means they're hiding something. They admitted, that it's not ready yet, I'm saying it's not ready enough to get a down payment from me. It's essentially $2000 worth of software bundled with an untested, $1000 beta DSLR that shoots RAW.

I am not impressed with where it is now, or even where they say it will be at release. I'll take another look, at release, and then, maybe hop on board after a few revisions.

And I wasn't the only one disappointed, I went with a few colleagues who also found it disappointing, and as we were astounded by some of the feature limitations, there were others there expressing the same sentiments. Most of us bolted for the parking lot, before we had to spend any more money on parking.

• What he posted wasn't fact. Over HALF of it was cleared up three or four times each, the same questions. Has NOTHING to do with anyone's point of view.

You are pretty hard defendent. I am more in line with shian. I think that it is now beta stage camera with innovative raw option. Made by the company that did not want to discuss any technical things, and judging from all sCMOS hardware things I read it leaves very big space to mess things up. Scientific cameras based on same sensor have quite complicated solutions to use sensor potential (very low sensor temperature, parallel high-low ADC with digital summation, etc),

• @Vitaliy, do you have any recollection as to why?

I have just sent this to them:

Justin,

Can you please check and advise if the Cinema Camera (I have pre-ordered) will work with my ATEM Televison studio?

Kevin

We'll see what they say

• They discussed half of the things on that list, in person, right there by the camera. How is that being a defendant when everything that the guy openly stated is almost polar opposite to what was just posted here?

ISO LIMTED TO 400, 800 and 1600 with no plans to change this!!!!! (native 800)

Mr. May: We are looking into opening up the ISO's up to higher values, but we didn't want to do that for the pre-production model because we were anticipating someone walking up to the camera, turning the ISO up and immediately going "This camera sucks in lowlight!" before we've even finished it.

Then Mr. May goes on to say: I'm not pitching this camera as a lowlight champion, that's not what it is.

Paraphrased, and he said this at least four times in the span of the thirty minutes I stood there listening to these questions going on.

That's just one of the things on the list of mis-informative "emotional" blurbs.

And, that's being a defendant? Okay then. It has nothing to do with anyone's "point of view", half of these things that are on the list were answered well before today, so it's half someone going in without actually paying attention (not that surprising) and half someone just plain out not interested enough to listen, inquire, learn.

• The only thing that concerns me about @shian's take on it is the lack of manual white balance. I don't think it's an issue in RAW .. but will definetely screw me over sometimes if I use only DNxHD.

I'll have a go at them too .. maybe they are buying a filter company

• @kavdani they said there would be one on release version, but wasn't there now.

• @kavadni

May specifically stated that they were looking into adjustable white balance in firmware. Right there on the floor. A few people asked about it, got the same answer each time.

• That's just one of the things on the list of mis-informative "emotional" blurbs.

I do not see this as emotional blurb. "We are looking into opening up the ISO's up to higher values" is not fact in any way, it is his personal opinion that they could, may be, add higher ISO. In my memory they never said that they plan to make higher ISOs previously. Plus I think that main point was that selection is very limited, not that he want 12800 ISO.

And, that's being a defendant? Okay then. It has nothing to do with anyone's "point of view", half of these things that are on the list were answered well before today, so it's half someone going in without actually paying attention (not that surprising) and half someone just plain out not interested enough to listen, inquire, learn.

You want devalue his opinion, and this is just it. His opinion is based on that he read previously, all this marketing noise, and after this hearing and looking at their presentation.

May specifically stated that they were looking into adjustable white balance in firmware.

I have good expirience dealing with various tech companies.
    Until you see it on paper or in official press release with data specified I strongly suggest to assume that it'll never happened. For your own safety, especially if your work depends on it.

• ISO LIMTED TO 400, 800 and 1600 with no plans to change this!!!!! (native 800)

Did the part with "no plans to change this!!!!!" go un-read or something? I know how to speak Product Rep fluently, May's doing his job in not promising anything. It's pretty clear from his response that it's already capable of doing those and they're just going through the motions.

Take Kavadni's response to the white balance, why did he respond like that? Because, he read Shian's words as fact... why did he do that? Perhaps because they were stated as fact.

Anyway, not going back and forth about this. People will seek out their own truth.

• Since you were there @kholi, what were your impressions of it? What kind of projects would benefit from the BMC in its current form over the DSLR alternatives? Any surprises as far as things we didn't know already?

• @kholi

Stating that you, could, may be add native higher ISOs to raw camera is not so simple as it could look at first.
    In DSLRs where they like to use software methods to get low and high ISOs it is ok.
    But here it is mostly hardware issue, so, most probably, representative mean that in non-raw modes you could select higher ISOs.

• @Oedipax

Pretty much everything you'd shoot on a DSLR that needs a tiny extra oomph. What I now have a greater understanding of is that it is absolutely not the DSLR killer people were claiming it was going to be. They had a good reason to project that, but it isn't.

It's for the more "advanced" DSLR user, or, the shooter that either owns an Epic or uses one for every large project but doesn't want to deal with it for small ones. A niche within a niche.

At the end of the day, if you have a GH2 and you're happy with it, not planning to do anything larger than what you do now, I'd simply hold off for whatever the GH3 might be instead of jumping to this.

• I said in my post (if you can read without getting upset) that in the things they were working on, one of them was manual white balance.

And I gave them props for the menu, and the thunderbolt->ultrascope thing. But for the most part, I'm not impressed. I've been optimistic about "anticipated cameras" before, and got burned on what was delivered. I got burned on the Red One, burned on the AF100, burned on the 5D mark II, burned on the C300 (just because of the price). So when I see the same pattern forming with this cam... I tend to shy away.

• About the strength of the SDI connector .. I am going to hope it's because it;s beta.

I have a fair bit of BMD product (I think from reading here, more than anyone else) and they're all built like a rock. The only other product I have that is as good is my smallHD DP6.

I wil speculate that on release the SDI will be attached firmly to the machined aluminium case

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev

Yes, this I agree with you, and I get that. More than likely no Non-raw it would open up selection of higher ISOs, similar to his blurb about 60P, and confirming that the camera is capable of doing 60P but they did not want to include it in the specs because it would confuse people.

I get it. I have to explain to people that EPIC is capable of higher frame rates than 120FPS, but you have to shoot 2K for the greater denominator. That is usually a thirty minute plus conversation, and people STILL don't get it.

By the way, it is capable of higher frame rates and it is something they are very well aware of, but it would have to be in ProRes or DNxHD, which is where the confusion would come from. They'd have to basically market like RED to have included it on launch. I understand that as well.

@kavadni

There was nothing wrong with the SDI-Connector. It's every bit as stout as the AF100's on up. Nobody trips on HD-SDI cables on a set...

• And one of the things that got under my skin was "Mr. May" speaking very negatively about DSLRs...in fact when answering about the battery, he stated that a removable battery would have made the case bigger... many features, people asked about would have made the case bigger, and they wanted something you could hold like 'this' and he grabbed the sides with 2 hands, like a photographer shooting on a large still cam, which they are using as a selling point, and added "...cuz people think they can shoot video on a DSLR for more than 2 hours, and are shocked when the thing blows up." --- a bit of hyperbole, don't ya think, Mr. May?

I realize they are competing with DSLRs, and not the real cinema cams, but don't try to sell me your crappy beta cam with overstated hyperbole, and not expect your target audience to be a little offended on top of being disappointed at your overhyped camera.

• @vitaliy

Stating that you, could, may be add native higher ISOs to raw camera is nos so simple as it could look at first. In DSLRs where they like to use software methods to get low and high ISOs it is ok.--

I assumed that it is all a software solution. I do not understand how they would achieve even 400/800/1600 with hardware

Here is the answer from BMD regarding ATEM Switchers

The Cinema Camera will not be compatible with the ATEM TV Studio. The Cinema Camera only outputs progressive video at 2.5k or 1080, neither of which the ATEM TV Studio supports.

I can either look for a device to generate psf .. or continue to use EXcams for multicams

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions