Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Driftwood Quantum X Settings, Series 3: VY Canis Majoris, Mysteron, Sedna, Orion, Cluster...
  • 1046 Replies sorted by
  • @itimjim Well said - I can only add that I think it's good to stick with one setting for a while and get really used to what it does otherwise there are so many variables. I stuck with Cake for a long time, briefly tried Sedna and realise it changes quite a few things and at the moment I don't have time to devote to trying out a whole new set of variables (so went back to Cake). As you say, there isn't a "magic" one, it's about really getting used to what they can do in different situations. And yes, there's some great work on here.

• @onionbrain Great flower shots. What lense did you use to shoot that stuff with?

• Guys, "best" is so subjective. You've got to get out there as DPs and do your own testing, or view other people's test result....research, research, research.

Fact is, I'd have been happy shooting a feature on SeaQuake. I've been happy with Orion, and then Dark Matter, and now I'm going to try Sedna. From what I've seen so far, it's the first that I'm happy to go back to VBR style Q. I'll try it with Smooth, Standard, Nost and Cinema in a combination of -2 through 2.

I've already seen what a lot of other folk have done, some magnificent posters. There was a trend the other week for Vibrant, but personally it doesn't sit with me too well. But others it does, as does Nost. I lean toward Smooth, but I'm always testing and being subjective. I'm learning, I'm researching. What I do know though, is that there isn't a single "killer" setting, just like there isn't a single killer stock, lens, codec or camera.

• Sedna AQ1 24H

Canon 24-105L F4

Sorry for the Poor Quality bad converting

• Is there any point in the Sedna "low" settings or should they always be avoided?

• @kihlian, true enough, neutral is probably a good place to start, but whats 'neutral' ? ;). Oddly enough I was looking at some shots I took with Orion 4b today, (still attached taken from the raw file). This was shot on an overcast day with a tweaked WB, smooth profile 0,0,-2,-2 with an old Auto Paragon 28mm, and it looks like its been processed with Magic Bullet Mojo.

Still001.png
    1920 x 1080 - 3M
  • @rajamalik Driftwood suggest for sedna standard -2-2-2-2, (look at onionbrain firmware 1.1 colour chart test, somewhere earlier in this topic series) (btw Stray it´s right!, but if someone have not more confidence with the camera or editing, neutral suggestions are a good point to start)

• @rajamalik Its a personal taste, and personal experimentation thing. Try things out and see what you like best. There is no 'make it look good' button or settings and every project/shot is different. When you've shot more and got experience then you'll change the in camera profile settings based on the shot, and what you think you'll do, or need to do, with it in post.

See, I'd never use nostalgia, don't want to deal with the yellow tint, nor the noise. I'd very rarely use cinema either. Also, I will often tweak the contrast based on each shot because I know thru experience that some shots will be easier to deal with in post with a little nudge (things can be too flat sometimes, particularly with the range of this camera). I will also, dependent on lens, and hack matrix, alter the sharpness setting too. But thats just me, it is not a set of rules, its not even advice, its definitely not a series of recommendations. Experiment, find out what works for you. Finding out what works for you is a mixture of methodical aproaches, gut instinct approaches and what you're prepared to do. If you want to shoot with a single profile, and settings all at -2 then thats fine. For me, its better to try and get close to what you want before you go to working with the footage with post tools. I also believe strongly that taking that approach will give you a better feel for the camera, whichever hack your using, your glass, and the effect of the settings.

As @driftwood put it, have confidence in yourself.

• Cinema -2-2-2-2 is good for filmmaking or it's always best to keep nosta -2-2-2-2 ??? Any profile alternative which is more post production friendly especially Orion and Sedna users???

• Well, might be I post to the wrong topic, but too much test video we watch... All new patches need editing and it takes some time.

It was "old" cbrandin 66 patch without spanning on SDHC at 24L(44Mb/s)

• @driftwood Does it means that even Orion v4b will not keep its quality and details for all the shots? It do loose the result? Only Sedna is constant and will keep its max in all the shots?? Its bit confusing now, if Sedna is the very max and constant one why I shld stick to Orion v4b? Sedna A's sharpness I love but same time the look of Orion v4b is Sooo good just like out of film camera. do I really need Sedna A why can't I just merge Sedna aq1 setting with Orion like u suggested?

• 20mm Lumix 1.7 Variable ND 1/50 shutter Standard -2-2-2-2 Sedna A AQ1

My Transcend 16gig card worked fine, played back in camera too. I didn't try any 720p settings.

Throughout the video I'm wiping back and forth between a color saturated version and the ungraded file out of the camera. At the time I thought the grade was really drastic but on vimeo it appears very subtle.

The Panasonic lens is normally very sharp but I like how the Sedna patch really tones that down, I'll definitely have to turn sharpening up with my Nikon lens.

• @driftwood Thanks for the update! I'm definitely working with what I have and making use of all at my disposal. There's nothing perfect right now (and to be expected with this type of development) but what works, works really well :) Can't wait to share the music video I shot utilizing both your Orion/Sedna patches :)

• @jamesgh2. I have used Sandisk Extreme 32GB 30mbs class 10 with Sedna A Q20 for 24p settings and it works fine. It works in ETC mode also. 1080i60 and 720p60 however, have write errors.

• Nice work @ishvar.

@jhero We're working hard on sorting 60p and 30p HBR... it AIN'T easy. 50p is looking good to me but then to others... its a crock.. you can't win em all... but we can keep trying. ;-)

• Yes, If someone feels it falls short in the details, please post examples that support it.

• @proaudio4 My genuine thanks for your kindness!

@LumixUser Regarding your question between the two for use on a "feature film," I prefer the Q20 version, but the differences between the two aren't overwhelmingly apparent on a visual level. Regarding your comment about Sedna not holding detail -- it's not the most outrageous thing I've read in this thread -- but I respectfully disagree. Sedna A ("wide") Q20 absolutely matches Quantum 9b, and actually beats it in certain areas.

• Stick to the job in hand. Its difficult with only one GH2, I for good reason use 4 and its easier to mix up settings, but Im not suggesting you go out and buy more cams. With one cam, take two or three settings with you on a shoot and explain to the client why youre swapping settings!

I don't promote any of my L patches, FH, or H in my high quality settings Orion, Sedna, etc... I have specific patched settings for lower bitrate coming off a lowered frame limit. SMBU v2, Pictoris, Cluster v1 and quite a few other earlier patches have been made by me to tackle long duration and spanning with good looking results.

I reiterate. Stock settings are pretty darn good. cbrandin, lpowell, bkmwcd, RalphB, towi and others' settings are also excellent. Again, whatever floats YOUR boat, I suggest use it.

A lot of the queries about quality stem from the fact that a lot of people are used to AQ4 (Auto Quantiser 4) which promotes high bitrate. Indeed, this is a great feature and works by trying out Q on the fly. But its not the Be all and end all. I believe its NOT perfect. Whole lines of macroblocks in the picture can be 'misinterpreted' next to a correctly quantised raster line. Then on another time filming the same subject its fine and other artefacts happen elsewhere. Its very hard to predict whats going to happen!

However, tuned matrices like Sedna can help and are designed in such a way to handle frequencies and offer closer matching quality overall for a 'desired' setting. We're trying to wrestle a bit of control back here!

Where in the past you might get razor sharpeness in one area, you could actually get a very blurry Q 'decision' in other areas of the picture. Some matrices work well with AQ4 because the matrix design is employs average use of low pass filtering compared to some of the newer higher settings shown in Sedna. Things can go wrong when you're pushing it with AQ on top of your matrix. Hence, from now on, why I design from a starting point of IQ/Q = 20 (Q20) and push it from there.

In the end though a lot of other factors come into play and can blind your judgement. For instance, are you correctly exposed? Has the lighting changed? f stop, shutter, picture profile, etc... etc...

• @driftwood thanks for the clarification! I haven't done a head to head between AQ1/Q20 but from what I've tested with AQ1 B, I like it (minus the buggy 60p)

I was curious about the 24L settings in Orion/Sedna… I'll be doing some docu shooting this week and was wondering if the 24L would be just as good as Pictoris in 24H for this type of application

• pls delete

• pls delete!

• Orion 4b test:

Orion 4b small prj.:

Sedna Q20 test:

@driftwood - thank you for all your hard work and inspiration!

• Q20 for safety and great footage. Best all round Q. remember Sedna is already pushing Q to the max, and I have spent some time measuring low and high frequency. The only reason I added AQ1 was for those who want to ensure max Q on lesser detail. We're not going backwards! I also made three settings scaled off the A setting. B is bloody good all round and C is for more softer looking footage - great for skin tones. Try them out. If you don't like them, you can go back to Orion 4b or Rocket v3b and then there's Dark Matter. YOU HAVE CHOICE...

The quantisation is very low ensuring amazing detail. Adding AQ1 is about max. You'll get much broader diversification range if you put it on AQ2,3 or 4. This is why I keep stressing Sedna A is like a high AQ already but more balanced.

If you don't trust the matrix use stock and push AQ upto 4 or whatever suits you. Film away and make subjective visual tests. Listen to noone until YOU feel happy. Also try a bit of grading on test footage if you're doing an important job. BELIEVE IN YOURSELF.

If you prefer Quantum 9b, Orion 4b - Great, If you like Sedna's matrix set - also great, they each have their subleties. But I can tell you personally, Sedna A has the highest sharpeness settings together with great all round low pass frequency settings. However, none of the settings really should be competing - each have their look.

• Is there anyone using Sedna Q20 with a Sandisk 30mb/sec Class 10? Should I even try?

Could I lower the bitrate to 1/2 and still get good quality or am I asking for a crash? Thanks!

• I have a feeling it "may" be. I need to look closer, but onionbrain's video above certainly looks amazing.

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions