Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
GH2 vs AF100
  • So, if you want to express your personal opinion, you are welcome.
    Any sign of not expressing your personal view, but blatant AF100 marketing compain, that is strongly going on few leading sites, will be eliminated.
    Reason?
    Panasonic thrown unprecedented amount of money on AF100 marketing. And it is long known for heavy forums usage.

Famous AF100 advantages list:
    1. 3 position ND filters (if your read the DSLR forums a lot you know the headaches people go through finding a good all around ND filter solution)
    2. The LCD on the AF100 is quite a bit better and is larger...the VF is also more ergonomic.
    3. HD-SDI (ability to get 4:2:2 from a very reliable output is very important to some)
    4. Overcranking/undercranking (this feature is priceless for many shooters)
    5. Waveform + Vectorscope
    6. Detail coring/numerous gammas/ much deeper control of the image parameters, etc
    7. Uncompressed 16 bit audio recording capability/xlr inputs
    8. Timecode/Synchro function
    9. 6 Scene files for easily recalling adjustments
    10. Dual card slots
    11. Max bitrate available in way more modes than the GH2
    12. More shooting modes on AF100 like 1080 30P, 720 24P, etc.
    13. Remote control pricelesss for certain situations
    14. Longer battery life/ Better batteries available
    15. PAL/NTSC switchability
    16. Zebras
    17. Headphone jack
    18. Negative gain function
    19. Ergonomic features like the handle/ tape hook, etc
    20. Slow synchro/High speed shutter - can be set by degree
  • 38 Replies sorted by
  • Still dreaming of AF100 firmware fix for all the kinks...

• focus expansion (can be fixed with MONEY)
    • 1080P50/60 with sound (can be fixed with MONEY)

Still undone...

• Auto iris is unusable. Having horrible steps and being slow as hell renders it totally useless.
    • Manual iris control is laggy and not precise
    • Auto focus is sooooo slow
    • Ugly clipping of reds causing ugly highlighs
    • Strong aliasing in and around highlights
    • higher bitrates to get rid of compression artefacts

Other than those I like it :)

But the fact it really cannot be used with autoexposure renders it useless for many types of jobs. And the autofocus is really too slow to be called auto. It does find good focus eventually though :) To me its only all manual setting with this thing and external recording.

It is a shame. I had to learn the hard way not to buy a single panasonic "pro" camera again. And what is most irritating about it all, is that when they fix some faults with the camera they come up with a PAID upgrade... which is hardly obtainable anywhere.

• See http://www.theeditman.com He's using AF101 pretty good.

I don't think those who love AF100 or FS100 would wanna go back to vdslrs. The popularity of vdslrs made the makers to produce such pro cams. Hopefully there is more synergy between vdslrs and pro cams. e.g. I wanna see built-in ND filter in GF3!!!
  • >there is no way to add features, change the menu structure or make the camera into something other than what it is

As far as I remember she is talking is such words for long, long time.
    She really thinks that it is impossible for ANY camera. She is MANAGER!

As fo risky investment. If you really need AF100, buy it, don't look at promises.
    If not, fuck Jan and go and get Sony. Win-Win solution :-)
  • I think when Jan publicly rules out future firmware upgrades of the AF100, we can reasonably conclude that she is stating Panasonic corporate policy. In Jan's own words, "there is no way to add features, change the menu structure or make the camera into something other than what it is."

Ironically, this makes the AF100 look like a riskier investment than the recently discontinued GH1 and its successors. Compatibility and support for automated focus, iris, and OIS capabilities of the Micro/Four Thirds lens system has steadily broadened and improved with each generation of Panasonic's G-series cameras. By contrast, the AF100 represents a dramatic step backward in Micro/Four Thirds system integration, as the camera supports only partial functional compatibility with the vast majority of Micro/Four Thirds lenses.

So Vitaliy, unless you have plans to hack the AF100 firmware, or Birger succeeds in reverse-engineering a third-party M43 remote-control system for use with Canon EOS lenses, I'll have to reluctantly conclude that the AF100's potential is limited.
  • @LPowell

Can you use your own words instead of link, please.
    And I do not see any update other then Jan opinion (and opinion of Jan is near absolute zero for Japan I am afraid).
    We need to talk direct with Japan to understand any real intentions.
    All I know is that first really software oriented camera will make true revolution.

P.S. May be all this shit is result of this http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/comment/2911 ? Or it is alcohol caused dream?
  • >I have seen threads unilaterally closed or deleted at Jan's request. In my view, this confirms that she does pay close attention to forums.

Jan is not bad.
    Just think about this differently. More cynically.
    She gets her money for certain things - selling given number of given camera models at the US.
    Period.
    So, she fights hard to clear forum from all things that could reduce her basic salary.
    In no way she or any US managers could help you to improve AF100.
    You must talk directly with Japan with specific department.
    And hope that in next model some of your suggestions will be implemented.
    Next model? Because current structure can't allow to have developers working on improvements.
  • I have on several occasions posted critical assessments of the AF100on forums.

My main interest in making these types of posts is to highlight crucial technical issues directly to Jan and other Panasonic marketing people . While I haven't personally received any negative responses from moderators, I have seen threads unilaterally closed or deleted at Jan's request. In my view, this confirms that she does pay close attention to forums.

I would be most interested in the capabilities of the AF100 should a hack became available for it. (And of course, for the GH2 as well.) For my purposes, the biggest disadvantage of the GH1 is its inability to do anything beyond recording good video. The GH1 integrates very poorly with condenser mics, external monitors and viewfinders, timecode and audio recorders, waveform monitors and remote control devices.

The AF100 has the basic potential to integrate these components into a compact, centrally coordinated recording system. Unfortunately, the current firmware falls a bit short of what's needed to handle each of the required interfaces at a consistent level of quality and functionality. That (along with a real-time image sensor RAW data tap) is what I'm patiently waiting for.
  • Same can be said the way Barry defended the HMC150 cameras and the noise and very low resolution they have.

Here's my reality.

!2mths ago i bought a new HMC152 (PAL) for $5600 from local Aussie supplier. they are worth now new $2600, so second hand something less than that. I like it, it has great handling characteristics and a nice IQ for the web.

Enter GH1, i bought one originally (now have 3) the latest one i bought second hand with 14 - 140 Kit lens for $650, was hardly used and it has practically replaced my HMC 152 in nearly all jobs.

HMC 152 I've lost MIN $3000 on it in 12 mths, the GH1 i will probably make money on selling it if i wanted to.

Most likely i will never buy another Pro Cam again in this price range, certainly i would never by an AF100 at the current prices.

Rambo
  • I like the AF100, but I think it's biggest downfall is a lack of "Smooth" type profile that slightly lowers DR, but in return causes no weird color shifts when going into overexposure.

For shoots where every second counts and the client needs to monitor or you need to record to an external recorder, or sync to another camera with TC, the AF100 is a better choice than say a GH2. Those are days when you're getting paid $1000 a day to shoot and bring your own equipment. If you're getting paid in the $300/ day range for the same thing and you need to shoot without permits, without insurance, and losing one shot isn't going to cost you you're job, than the GH2 is perfectly capable of these tasks.

I actually prefer the additional sharpness and color gamut of the GH2. I have never once seen aliasing or moire in any footage that I've shot, and the body is so tiny you can put it anywhere. It has less aliasing than any camera under 10k, even less than the F3. F3 is an amazing camera as well, but the S-log firmware price means I would get a used Red One cheaper before going the f3 route.

Seriously, many of the AF100 complaints could be taken away with just the simple smooth profile from the GH series.
  • Barry has track record of tearing down cameras he can't materially benefit from (GH2) and doing the opposite to cameras he CAN benefit from (AF100). He's admitted he cannot profit from tutorial videos for a camera from the consumer line because the shelf life is so short. He can however make money from AF100 tutorials because that model will not be quickly replaced. That's why anything he says should always be taken with a grain of salt. He's not objective and never has been.
  • Understood.

That's too bad.. :)
  • >I have not looked but is there any kind of firmware update available for the AF100?

You can get firmware unpacker for AF100

It looks that firmware update for AF100 do not contain all data, just some parts.

>Makes me wonder if certain features(that don't need specific hardware) could be ported from the AF100 to the GH2 after the encryption is bypassed..

You can't port features, as LSI chips used are different.
    Porting of features even on similar LSIs used in two Panasonic cameras (ala GF1 and GH1) is impossible really.

• I'd also love to take an AF100 apart and see just how different they are.

I have not looked but is there any kind of firmware update available for the AF100? I wonder if it were compared to the GH series cameras, how different in size and style it would be. I'm betting that there are large amounts of the code that are identical and that the extra bits that the AF100 have are just sub routines that hook into the main code.

Makes me wonder if certain features(that don't need specific hardware) could be ported from the AF100 to the GH2 after the encryption is bypassed..

• @svart

I agree with many things you say.

We live in a very interesting time. Time than production methods advancements and energy availability had been used not for better life standards, but for constantly increased number for intermediary companies and people who work in them. This, now huge, part prevents to increase quality of life for all other people.
    Panasonic branches, like in US, are one of the good examples. They can certify service centers (constantly optimizing, read - cutting, them to increasy their bonuses) and they can organize goods shipping from Japan and China (and we constantly see huge errors with this).

Considering AF100 internals. It could be very interesting to disassembly one of them :-)
    Looking at firmware I think that main LSI chips are from consumer video cameras. They tend to use same LSI chips in all HD cameras of the same generation, but with different code and ROM/RAM sizes.
    As for sensor, I don't see any way that they developed completely new sensor.

As for XLR and HD-SDI, we yet so see 180 turn in this direction also.
    Like it already happened because of HyperDeck Shuttle. We just had constant talks how costly it is to make hardware that allow record uncompressed video (even less compressed).
    Now all we have is rants that SSDs are not cheap (somehow Panasonic and Sony cards costing up to 20x more do not count already :-) ).
    Current HDMI versions allow data exchange and audio return. So, LSI that will be able to use it are not far away and similar to Shuttle devices will have big RAM buffer and will allow to use simple HDDs recording 4:4:4 in almost loseless format, having XLRs in the same time.
    Even very new Sound Devices recorders that come from quite pricy company are already affordable for many people.

Penalty for owning highly integrated and dedicated pro camera will be increasing fast.
  • I guess I should chime in here. I was part of that thread that was closed. I expected it to happen but I really thought it would get closed earlier than it did. I think Mr. Barry and co. exercised pretty good self-control for the most part. I'm sure panny asked them to close the thread and sponsors do keep the forum paid for so I have no problem with them obliging, but I don't have to stick around either and that means possible lost revenue from the lack of my ad clicks or buying sponsor's goods, both of which I have done a number of times. I can just post elsewhere if I choose, and now VK has opened this new forum for those of us who think differently than most on DVXuser. I've seen it on other forums, eventually the heavy hand will shoo everyone away and do the exact opposite of what was expected.

Anyway, back to the GH2 vs. AF100.

It's no secret that people who don't understand what's actually *inside* of devices can be easily swayed to believe that those devices are somehow different to others. I'm fairly neutral on the idea that Mr. Barry is in the pocket of Panasonic. I tend to think that he was told by panny that the AF100 is somehow drastically different than the gh2 and he truly believes them. That's fine, I understand that. Marketers plan on that type of loyalty and they count on their customers to spread that marketing pitch by telling everyone they know about their new toys. If this didn't happen, then nothing new would get sold. Everyone would be using their old devices that are plenty good-enough. It's like the whole Ipod/Ipad/Iphone thing. Every couple months they come out with a device that is marginally better and large numbers of people who have perfectly working older devices line up to get the new and improved thing. Guess what? A phone is still a phone. An MP3 player is still an MP3 player and a tablet computer is still a tablet computer. It's just the sex and coolness that they sell with large amounts of peer pressure and WOW factor.

I work in the electronics design field and I work with marketers who sell these things to people. I've been doing it for over 15 years now and every job I've had I've watched the marketers embellish the truth to pump up sales. They don't outright lie but they do stretch the truth a lot. So when someone comes along and says that some marketing person *told* them that it's different, I have to really take that with a grain of salt as I know that the marketer is likely in selling or ass-covering mode. Again, I'm not trying to insult anyone or claim that anyone is actually making things up, but I know how these things work behind the scenes and in the real world and would be surprised if somehow it was different this time..

So after watching many videos, pixel peeping, and reading possibly hundreds of threads on the GH2 and AF100 all over the internet, I can say that some serious comparison can be made. Sure they have some obvious mechanical differences but while others are looking at stuff like how much moire or aliasing these things have, I'm looking at their deficiencies and noting that each seem to have extremely similar problems such as the same yellow cast on the picture, same banding at the same shutter rates, same amounts of noise in the dark areas, same blue lines, same flaring during bright light, etc. If the AF100 had a different sensor and/or processing, then most of these visual problems would be captured somewhat differently. But they aren't and I've been able to find the exact same visual problems amongst videos from each camera. This says to me that the sensor and processing are likely the same.

Sure there are differences like XLR jacks and SDI outputs and ND filters and all that but those are fairly superficial in terms of design. You could put an XLR jack on your GH2 if you wanted. You already have a digital video stream and I've seen simple IP cores(bits of programming you can buy) for FPGA ICs for HD-SDI and HDMI transceivers. Adding a small board and some ICs could create a huge number of outputs of different kinds. You don't have to change a thing on your main board. These are just some of the examples that may be different on the outside but don't actually change anything about the core of the camera. All of these could be added to a GH2's system with additional boards and make it have the same functionality as an AF100. The rest seems to be simple software differences.

• I share the frustration with the "defensive" tone around the Af100 from many senior and established users on DVXUser.
    At the beginning of this year my intention was to buy an AF100 and then a GH2 as a B-cam.
    The fact is, I love the form factor of the AF100 but I just don't like the image it produces. It's soft at 1080p and has more banding than it should. (more than an EX1, and HPX170 which are also "8 bit").
    I've tried to like it, even bought a Voightlander 25mm in anticipation of buying one, but the the GH2 actually looks better to my eyes.

The GH2 however has proved impossible to buy, and now I discover that the HDMI output is "non-standard".
    This is perhaps even more frustrating.
    I have no interest in 24p (I am in a PAL zone). If i want 24p I will re-conform from 25 in post, or shoot on a film camera.
    I find it extraordinary that the PAL model has no dedicated 25p mode.
    In addition, it seems there are "extra fields" inserted on HDMI-out even in FSH mode. IMO, there is no technical reason why the HDMI output should not be 25pSf (progressive segmented frame) when using FSH mode. Indeed, that would be the defacto standard way to transport the stream over HDMI, would it not? The sensor is scanned progessive, so Panasonic must have made a conscious effort to re-interlace.

Combine this with the fact that both the AF100 and the GH2 use freshly different proprietary batteries from previous Panasonic models...

• >From Vincent Laforet blog

I think that his opinions about AF100 are highly subjective.
    Something like anti-Barry :-) "All is bad" postion opposite to "all is perfect".
    Neither one is informative.

As for Zacuto tests. I find them to be one of strangest things. Some mix between marketing and "independent" tests.

• From Vincent Laforet blog:
    BIGGEST DISSAPOINTMENT – PANASONIC AF-100
    I was so rooting for this camera when it came out. Unfortunately, this camera is a big let down for me. The ergonomics, button layout, endless menus – and most importantly, the image quality – are lacking. The images look like video – chroma issues abound, over-sharpening, very very strange yellow (other) color casts in the highlights… and the kit lenses – ouch. I really have little to say that I like about this camera – it’s one of the first ones that I tried out on a job/shoot- and immediately lost interest. Please note that I am basing my opinion on this camera on BOTH the Zacuto tests and first hand experience with the camera. I’ll go over this in more details in the upcoming blog post I mention above…
    http://blog.vincentlaforet.com/2011/04/19/nab-redux-pt-1-cameras/
  • @DrDave

Generally, you must use XLR connectors if you can. They, alone, do not make sound better.
    But good microphones that you can connect to them and better preamps really make the difference.
    Plus you can't accidently unplug good connector or get static hum because of not so good contact.
    And using locking HDMI cables is also very good idea. Unfortunately, I do not see locking mini HDMI.
  • I'm glad you mentioned the XLR/16 bit audio. I hear all the time this "professional" feature. There is nothing professional about it.
    The professional standard is 24 bit--hey 16 bit is like 40 years old. A real pro setup would be either four track 24 bit or 4 track with a surround input. I also think it is very funny that people think a bigger connector sounds better when they use mini hdmi for the video.
  • @dcloud
    >I want a GH2 simply because its small and i can carry it anywhere without being obtrusive. Thats it.
    >I have an AF100 and I earn money from it and it is paying for itself. for its cost, its really convenient with all the >features mentioned. WFM and Vectorscope: I use it alot and it has made exposure easy and illegal colors are >easy to spot. Thinking its not useful is ignorant.

I really like AF100, and I think that for many people its price will pay out fast.
    But, as I said, it is completely wrong to try to sell it to someone who really do not need all this.
  • the GH2 with a proper firmware would beat any camera for me. Irritating is the Mini Microphone plug.
  • Portability is an important plus for me. For example recently, for a videoclip, i used the gh2 linked to hat. With the af100, it wouldn't ever been possible. It's a priceless feature for me. However is a matter of needs.
  • so the point of the whole thing is:
    1. AF100 has better features but arent used by everybody
    2. GH2 is better because its cheaper.

heres my 2 cents
    I want a GH2 simply because its small and i can carry it anywhere without being obtrusive. Thats it.
    I have an AF100 and I earn money from it and it is paying for itself. for its cost, its really convenient with all the features mentioned. WFM and Vectorscope: I use it alot and it has made exposure easy and illegal colors are easy to spot. Thinking its not useful is ignorant.

bottomline, 4900 is worth every penny ive spent.
  • Yes built-in ND filter is discrete and it's just fine. 2x, 4x, 6x... what more to ask? No more step up rings. It just makes the whole setup more compact.

Reflective sensor... true. Hopefully CDAF system can determine metering based on each frame's digital image so that non reflective sensor can come back. Actually this can open up varieties of metering strategy.