Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
GH2 vs AF100
  • 38 Replies sorted by
  • I'd also love to take an AF100 apart and see just how different they are.

I have not looked but is there any kind of firmware update available for the AF100? I wonder if it were compared to the GH series cameras, how different in size and style it would be. I'm betting that there are large amounts of the code that are identical and that the extra bits that the AF100 have are just sub routines that hook into the main code.

Makes me wonder if certain features(that don't need specific hardware) could be ported from the AF100 to the GH2 after the encryption is bypassed..

• >I have not looked but is there any kind of firmware update available for the AF100?

You can get firmware unpacker for AF100

It looks that firmware update for AF100 do not contain all data, just some parts.

>Makes me wonder if certain features(that don't need specific hardware) could be ported from the AF100 to the GH2 after the encryption is bypassed..

You can't port features, as LSI chips used are different.
    Porting of features even on similar LSIs used in two Panasonic cameras (ala GF1 and GH1) is impossible really.

• Understood.

That's too bad.. :)
  • Barry has track record of tearing down cameras he can't materially benefit from (GH2) and doing the opposite to cameras he CAN benefit from (AF100). He's admitted he cannot profit from tutorial videos for a camera from the consumer line because the shelf life is so short. He can however make money from AF100 tutorials because that model will not be quickly replaced. That's why anything he says should always be taken with a grain of salt. He's not objective and never has been.
  • I like the AF100, but I think it's biggest downfall is a lack of "Smooth" type profile that slightly lowers DR, but in return causes no weird color shifts when going into overexposure.

For shoots where every second counts and the client needs to monitor or you need to record to an external recorder, or sync to another camera with TC, the AF100 is a better choice than say a GH2. Those are days when you're getting paid $1000 a day to shoot and bring your own equipment. If you're getting paid in the $300/ day range for the same thing and you need to shoot without permits, without insurance, and losing one shot isn't going to cost you you're job, than the GH2 is perfectly capable of these tasks.

I actually prefer the additional sharpness and color gamut of the GH2. I have never once seen aliasing or moire in any footage that I've shot, and the body is so tiny you can put it anywhere. It has less aliasing than any camera under 10k, even less than the F3. F3 is an amazing camera as well, but the S-log firmware price means I would get a used Red One cheaper before going the f3 route.

Seriously, many of the AF100 complaints could be taken away with just the simple smooth profile from the GH series.
  • Same can be said the way Barry defended the HMC150 cameras and the noise and very low resolution they have.

Here's my reality.

!2mths ago i bought a new HMC152 (PAL) for $5600 from local Aussie supplier. they are worth now new $2600, so second hand something less than that. I like it, it has great handling characteristics and a nice IQ for the web.

Enter GH1, i bought one originally (now have 3) the latest one i bought second hand with 14 - 140 Kit lens for $650, was hardly used and it has practically replaced my HMC 152 in nearly all jobs.

HMC 152 I've lost MIN $3000 on it in 12 mths, the GH1 i will probably make money on selling it if i wanted to.

Most likely i will never buy another Pro Cam again in this price range, certainly i would never by an AF100 at the current prices.

Rambo
  • I have on several occasions posted critical assessments of the AF100on forums.

My main interest in making these types of posts is to highlight crucial technical issues directly to Jan and other Panasonic marketing people . While I haven't personally received any negative responses from moderators, I have seen threads unilaterally closed or deleted at Jan's request. In my view, this confirms that she does pay close attention to forums.

I would be most interested in the capabilities of the AF100 should a hack became available for it. (And of course, for the GH2 as well.) For my purposes, the biggest disadvantage of the GH1 is its inability to do anything beyond recording good video. The GH1 integrates very poorly with condenser mics, external monitors and viewfinders, timecode and audio recorders, waveform monitors and remote control devices.

The AF100 has the basic potential to integrate these components into a compact, centrally coordinated recording system. Unfortunately, the current firmware falls a bit short of what's needed to handle each of the required interfaces at a consistent level of quality and functionality. That (along with a real-time image sensor RAW data tap) is what I'm patiently waiting for.
  • >I have seen threads unilaterally closed or deleted at Jan's request. In my view, this confirms that she does pay close attention to forums.

Jan is not bad.
    Just think about this differently. More cynically.
    She gets her money for certain things - selling given number of given camera models at the US.
    Period.
    So, she fights hard to clear forum from all things that could reduce her basic salary.
    In no way she or any US managers could help you to improve AF100.
    You must talk directly with Japan with specific department.
    And hope that in next model some of your suggestions will be implemented.
    Next model? Because current structure can't allow to have developers working on improvements.
  • @LPowell

Can you use your own words instead of link, please.
    And I do not see any update other then Jan opinion (and opinion of Jan is near absolute zero for Japan I am afraid).
    We need to talk direct with Japan to understand any real intentions.
    All I know is that first really software oriented camera will make true revolution.

P.S. May be all this shit is result of this http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/comment/2911 ? Or it is alcohol caused dream?
  • I think when Jan publicly rules out future firmware upgrades of the AF100, we can reasonably conclude that she is stating Panasonic corporate policy. In Jan's own words, "there is no way to add features, change the menu structure or make the camera into something other than what it is."

Ironically, this makes the AF100 look like a riskier investment than the recently discontinued GH1 and its successors. Compatibility and support for automated focus, iris, and OIS capabilities of the Micro/Four Thirds lens system has steadily broadened and improved with each generation of Panasonic's G-series cameras. By contrast, the AF100 represents a dramatic step backward in Micro/Four Thirds system integration, as the camera supports only partial functional compatibility with the vast majority of Micro/Four Thirds lenses.

So Vitaliy, unless you have plans to hack the AF100 firmware, or Birger succeeds in reverse-engineering a third-party M43 remote-control system for use with Canon EOS lenses, I'll have to reluctantly conclude that the AF100's potential is limited.
  • >there is no way to add features, change the menu structure or make the camera into something other than what it is

As far as I remember she is talking is such words for long, long time.
    She really thinks that it is impossible for ANY camera. She is MANAGER!

As fo risky investment. If you really need AF100, buy it, don't look at promises.
    If not, fuck Jan and go and get Sony. Win-Win solution :-)
  • See http://www.theeditman.com He's using AF101 pretty good.

I don't think those who love AF100 or FS100 would wanna go back to vdslrs. The popularity of vdslrs made the makers to produce such pro cams. Hopefully there is more synergy between vdslrs and pro cams. e.g. I wanna see built-in ND filter in GF3!!!
  • Still dreaming of AF100 firmware fix for all the kinks...

• focus expansion (can be fixed with MONEY)
    • 1080P50/60 with sound (can be fixed with MONEY)

Still undone...

• Auto iris is unusable. Having horrible steps and being slow as hell renders it totally useless.
    • Manual iris control is laggy and not precise
    • Auto focus is sooooo slow
    • Ugly clipping of reds causing ugly highlighs
    • Strong aliasing in and around highlights
    • higher bitrates to get rid of compression artefacts

Other than those I like it :)

But the fact it really cannot be used with autoexposure renders it useless for many types of jobs. And the autofocus is really too slow to be called auto. It does find good focus eventually though :) To me its only all manual setting with this thing and external recording.

It is a shame. I had to learn the hard way not to buy a single panasonic "pro" camera again. And what is most irritating about it all, is that when they fix some faults with the camera they come up with a PAID upgrade... which is hardly obtainable anywhere.