Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
GF2 Stable Settings
  • 614 Replies sorted by
  • Minor hack -avg bitrate 45mbps -GOP3 (can last for 36mins sharp - tested-)

Here's the video captured this morning. Turn on HD for greater details (vimeo seems downgrade the quality in normal mode)

• I don't think hope for the GF2 should be lost, quality of this video is Really nice Shoutout to @kavadni....

My opinion is maybe we should try the camera with different lenses? Maybe you guys will find the quality your looking for. The 14-42mm from the looks of it isn't such a great lens in my opinion but maybe if you switched it with a wide aperature MF Lens + Any Patch = Best Quality.

Another Great video with the hacked GF2

Still waiting on more videos

• Quantum X v5b 'Pictoris' VBR - Hybrid matrix is Good

• I am confused..my GF2 arrived, wanted to download and test the "ini". Seems, that in post #1 are updated versions. Which one is the correct one?

• What happened, people lost hope?

• @duartix would this be adequate, played in a loop for stress testing?

Just looking for some consistency in my testing

• @lukasz_mobi thx a lot! That is impressive. Just about to sell my GF1 and ordered a GF2 (for very cheap 265€ including 14-42) Will test the new settings as soon as cam arrives

• @driftwood: Thanks for your hard work. I'll try these out on my GF2 this weekend and will report back soon.

• @driftwood did your GF2 arrive yet???

• *** NEW **** Driftwood Quantum X v5 'ß Pictoris' CBR and VBR versions NOW AVAILABLE from page one of the Quantum thread. Exciting new hybrid matrix of Panasonic's GH2 and Panasonic's AVC-Intra. New GOP6 and GOP9 on 720p50/60 structures utilising B frames. Rebuilt 'GOP Related' settings for correct b frames under 720p with Encoder 1 720 =3 correlation. Looks good on initial test. All settings should work including EX Tele and spanning. multi-tested on @stray 's death colour chart.

NOTE: There are two versions available of this setting. One constant bitrate CBR style and the other VBR variable bitrate according to detail.

Both settings should be tested on the GF2.

Find them here: http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/2364/driftwood-quantum-x-v3b-rocket-v4b-orion-v5-%CE%B2-pictoris-out-now/p1

• Simple comparison - GF1 (hacked: MPEG upscaled from 720p - 50mbits ) vs GF2 (not hacked, AVCHD FHD). Hope this help.

gf2-vs-gf1.jpg
    1043 x 1080 - 437K
  • GF2 32Mbps AQ4 GOP15, 1080i60, Leica 25mm 1.4 DG, hand-held, "interlaced" frame capture from MPlayerX

Looking sharp enough to me.

00009_Feb 29, 2012 10.24.15 PM.png
    1920 x 1080 - 3M
  • the gh2 sensor is the same size like the GF2:

Nope, because text is - 17.3 x 13.0 mm (in 4:3 aspect ratio)
    In 16:9 aspect size is different.

• @Tungee78: The sensor is definitively not the same size on GF2 and GH2. The GH2 is somewhat larger to accommodate multiple aspect ratios, and in 16:9, it's significantly wider than the GF2.

But more crucially, the sensor on the GH2 is a couple of generations newer than on the GF2 (which, like the GF1, G2, and G10, as well as all Olympus PENs, uses the same sensor as on the original G1). The image processing hardware is also likely different.

I'm not privy to the actual hardware implementation, but there are likely significant differences in the way the two cameras handle downsampling from full sensor resolution to 1920x1080 and/or 1280x720. If the GF2's sensor and processor combination are not able to handle the much more sophisticated downsample that the GH2 uses (which is the main reason for it having superior resolution and less moire than better spec'd and more expensive cameras like 5D2), then this goes a long way to explaining why its video is inferior, even after hacking and using the same bitrates as GH2.

That said, let's get this discussion back on topic. I'm still happy with and hopeful for using my GF2 as a b-cam (the quality is not GH2 level, but it's not garbage either!), and would like to see more testing and experimentation on good, stable settings for the camera. In my experience, just slapping the latest Driftwood GH2 settings in the GF2 and shooting does NOT work well. When I tried this with Rocket v2 in 1080/30p (in 60i wrapper), I got frequent nasty skipped frames. I plan on doing more testing and will report back here if I can find something more stable.

• Hope I don't get flamed, be that I'm a new fish here.

By reading the forums, it seems all is lost for GF2, I hope not. Maybe it's because the camera is not bulky or have a lot of buttons, relying on the touch screen.

I'm like this. It's not the camera (camcorders, DSLRs) that's the overall factor, it's how you use it and what you can achieve it. As with what EOSHD mentioned, it's suitable as a b-cam. I wouldn't rush into conclusions and wait until VK can harnish some magic. Who knows, there can be something under the horizon.

Nevertheless, I'm getting one this week before they sell 'em out--and I can't wait. I like the price for what it is. So it isn't like the RED for $$$ more, and if I can snag it budgetwise, I'll get the GH2 soon.

• What i dont understand is:
    -the gh2 and the gf2 has the same color depth at 21,2 bit.
    -the gh2 and the gf2 has the same pic engine (Venus-Engine FHD)
    -the gh2 and the gf2 has the same sensor size (17,3*13.0)

The "only" differrence is the sensor density 16 mio.pxl. vs 12 mio.pxl.
    Does this factor gives such a quality difference?

• @videohq i downloaded also the mts files from youtube; They didnt satisfied me too, sorry. The colours seems so be bleeched from all videos. will buy the gf2 for sure; have some fast lenses here(f1.4) perhaps they gave less artifacts, i dont know....

• …hardly started the topic and there're people already dropping the towel on the Gf2, hope this is not the general feeling… How long has it been since you guys began developing the hack for the GH2, give at least a try…

• The videos on youtube and vimeo for hacked gf2 are dissapointing. The unhacked nex 5 videos are much better in quality. Sorry but i also thought we could get the quality of a gh2 with the gf2......... At least a nearby quality

• @Vitaliy yes, every time I go out and shoot and then I review the movies, I feel bad that I got the gf2 instead of the gh2. Maybe more people should know not to make the mistake that I did. I though the gf2 with the hack will have almost the same details as gh2 but in a smaller package. But they are years apart, it appears the GH2 will remain the absolute king especially with the hack. I wish I could afford now also the gh2, but I already have a pentax + lots of lenses, is hard owning 2 systems :)

• @videohq I don't distinguish video-ish and film-ish looks :)

If I were you, I'd stick to one setting, even if it's not perfect, and try to learn other things. Color grading is a nice thing to learn.

• @videohq

Try to look at topic title.
    All this "video-ish" discussion really has absolutely zero value.

• 'm still waiting for my Gf2 but I think that I'll go with "freestylez" opinión, they are two different beast, even if they share some similarities, so we better start testing them as so…

• @raz - i tested quite some different hacks with the gf2 and from what i´ve seen the results are not compareable with the gh2 - but more in the way that hq settings for the gh2 don´t lead to the same results on the gf2. In a nutshell: To my opinion we have to do more testing and not assume that the settings that work for gh2 work for gf2. If vitaly is reading this: Is the forum software homegrown? Very cool.