Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Official Low GOP topic, series 5
  • 751 Replies sorted by
  • @mozes

"that "mosquito noise" i did have it to. (see some post back). are you sure it not because off the ISO bug?"

yep

• @towi "For HBR/25p try LPowell's "Flowmotion" patch with FW 1.1 in PTools 3.64 or - even slightly better - RalphB's "Sanity" patch. "..

where can i find these patches compatible with fw1.1? tried out quantum x with firmare1.1, looks good, but doesn't span, and i need to record long takes..

many thanks

• ah.. just saw lpowells reply.. nevermind then.

• @cosimo_bullo here are both clips converted on 5dtorgb with the following settings: ProRes444, ITU-R BT.709, No Gamma Flagging, ChromaMode Disabled. (screenshots quicktime actual size)(note that because of no gamma flagging Quicktime might be showing this slightly brighter) I see, as expected after converting with 5dtorgb an improvement, but HBR does look softer. Hope it helps.

1__HBR_25p_iso200_5600k_s50_f16_std_MF_Pan14140_OISon_5dtorgb_PR444_709_NoGamma_ChromaModeDisabled.png
    1929 x 1089 - 3M
    2__24H_iso200_5600k_s50_f16_std_MF_Pan14140_OISon_5dtorgb_PR444_709_NoGamma_ChromaModeDisabled.png
    1931 x 1089 - 3M
  • @jide

attached my modified patches.

Sanity (seta): modified FSH/SH bitrate (36M instead of 44M as in RalphB's original patch, which crashed on my camera)

Flowmotion (setc): added in PTools 3.64: 1080i Top Setting=98000 / 1080i Bottom Setting=84000

original patches:

Sanity by RalphB: http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/comment/33662#Comment_33662

Flowmotion by LPowell: http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/2099/gh2-100mbps-flow-motion-setting-v1.0-with-50mbps-file-spanning/p1

seta.zip
    668B
    setc.zip
    773B
  • The matrix is softer thats why, this is a serious attempt to help blue skies :-)

• I will be releasing a LONG GOP patch for v1.1 shortly.

• @towi ok thanks, i'll try it out tomorrow. spasibo

• @jide what sd card have you got? I got spanning working fine on a variety of Sandisk cards?

• I just gave Quantum X v1 a first try. I chose HBR 25p and I can confirm that this mode isn't as optimized as the 24h mode. There is more macro blocking and mosquito noise present. I shot to a Sandisk Extreme SDHC 30MB/s card and had only issues in HBR mode when shooting in ExTELE mode. The camera crashed once and I had to remove the battery. The way the camera handles the buffer off load seams quite different with firmware 1.1. The icon for write to card activity stays much longer after recording has been stopped but the camera is now usable while there is still some buffer off load action going on.

• @eyefi - That seems to have helped quite a bit.

Nick, those skies do look really clean. Depending on the shoot I'd gladly trade a little sharpness (no one cares...) for clean gradations, for what it's worth.

• @cosimo_bullo still messing with it, It seems VLC does a better job at displaying interlaced footage. thanks for noting it

• There will be a ver 2 release of Quantum X tomorrow night with improvements.

• @Alex , i noticed that longer active from the memory card also.
    Even the write error in tele2 mode, but after switching the gh2 on and off, it did not come back and worked fine.

• Is Quantum X essentially a Quantum 100 v4 or something???

If not, cant Quantum 100 v4 simply be 100Mbit on all High bitrate video modes (including HBR - 25p) and 50Mbit on the Lowe bitrate modes? but also containing the best (or better) quantization for whatever reason (either being quality or stability)???

Still trying to get the hang of this guys :)

• I ran a test today with Quantum X v1.1. I uploaded the files here in two versions to compare how they are handled by Youtube:

[9.9 Mbps bit rate upload]

[44 Mbps bit rate upload]

According to this link, Youtube should support up to 50 Mbps bit rates: http://support.google.com/youtube/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=1722171

Settings were 1080p/30fps, on a SanDisk 8 GB 30MB/s card with manual Voigtlander 0.95 25mm.

Something however puzzles me. I looked at the original media transcoded from the AVCHD. It is 1.23 GB in size, which is what I would expect. According to MPEG streamclip, this file has 2:24 running time: avc1', 1920 × 1080, 29.97 fps, 66.48 Mbps

When I use FCPX to transcode it and output to best quality 1080p, the resulting file is only 165 MB, with a bitrate of 9.92 Mbps. Clearly, I need to use a different approach to NLE usage. :-)

Edit: I used the export option within FCPX, and produced a .MOV file with Video Tracks: Apple ProRes 422 (Proxy), 1920 × 1080, 29.97 fps, 44.22 Mbps

My question still applies. The original was 66.48 Mbps... how can I get out a version with close to this bit rate, or is this not helpful?

• @driftwood i'm using transcend class 10 cards, 16gb & 32gb. also have the 64gb sdxc card, but haven't used it yet. i'm already out in the field, so can't go shopping for better cards, but i think these should be ok, no? (for achieving reasonable bitrates around 50-60mbps..)

thanks

• @ahbleza Don't use the proxy rate, go ProRes 422 or even HQ.

• @driftwood Question. Shooting a wedding that wants slow mo. Will Quantum X v2 be stable on a 64gig for 720p?

• @driftwood, guys   I've noticed some minor points on Quantum X (but anyway Quantum X is pretty good for people who need docs - i.e. long shooting time). I tested Quantum X in 24h and noticed that in deep low light the image is a little softer/more noisy than in 9b. Moreover, when I wached my deep low light clip in KMPlayer, the picture suddenly dissapeared while the sound was still going fine. Then the picture appeared just when I reached the room which was pretty illuminated. This effect has never happened before with any of your previous patches, including 9b. I then installed 9b back using the same 3.64d and repeated filming the same scene. Everything was pretty detailed, less noisy and no such a strange effect with KMPlayer.    Speaking of details in Quantum X, I suppose it's obvious it has less details than 9b. The overall (not nominal!!!) bit rate of Quantum X is about 62+ Mbps and Quantum X was always more than 140 Mbps!   @driftwood, I wish the next version of your Quantum X will have more image quality than 9b. :-)   Thanks for the hard work you've done already. Without you and Vitaliy ordinary peoply could only dreamed of having the possibility to shoot cinema-like self-made videos!

• Sorry, I meant "The overall (not nominal!!!) bit rate of Quantum X is about 62+ Mbps and Quantum 9b was always more than 140 Mbps!"

• I tested Quantum X with the Crunchy Chart, a 14-140 lens, and a SanDisk 32GB 30mb/sec card and got write errors in SH, H, FSH and FH. Didn't hard crash so no battery pull. Tim

• Quantum x v1 HBR iso 400

• @driftwood

I will be releasing a LONG GOP patch for v1.1 shortly.>>

Oh yes, that would be great... :-)

• So, 3.93d with quantum 9b still is the best setup for 24p to shoot movies and tv commercial for quality, low compression and dynamic range? Or should we move to the new 3.94d for testing? @Vitaliy_Kiselev and @driftwood from now on I add your names in the credits for everything we shoot with the gh2, your work of passion on this codecs and patches is honorable.