Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Official Low GOP topic, series 5
  • 751 Replies sorted by
  • @towi

"I've tried to improve 24p25p-NINE ... I even started from scratch. Clip and PCR duration match when I follow your advice... but the codec crashes or produces lower bitrates."

Is it with AQ4? Supposing that is right, as Chris also described, I will think whether AQ4 is too aggressive. Moreover, I think that it can surely do although it may be difficult since I also required considerable time for this adjustment.

BTW, the results of your PAL66 V2.0 are brilliant! :-) Do I also touch a little 6GOP of homework?
    Since it is special, is HQ matrix combined?

• @Stray

As you know, I was terribly embarrassed by that issue. ;-) Thanks to it, I am doing the bit rate setting so that the problem may not occur now. However, I do not understand correctly the true problem which the issue brings about.

• The samples of GOLGOP3-13_V4.12 :-)

Custom setting is here

http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/comment/52028#Comment_52028

GOLGOP3-13_V4.12_24p_ISO160_forest_sp_qp.JPG
    1297 x 632 - 195K
    GOLGOP3-13_V4.12_HBR30p_ISO160_forest_sp_qp.JPG
    1297 x 633 - 206K
    GOLGOP3-13_V4.12_24p_ISO400_night_sp_qp.JPG
    1297 x 634 - 190K
    GOLGOP3-13_V4.12_HBR30p_ISO400_night_sp_qp.JPG
    1296 x 632 - 191K
  • @bkmcwd

darks are more better on the previous one ?

• @amateur

Honestly, I am not sure only with these samples. :-) Need side by side comparison. Since a focal point is delicately different, comparison is difficult. How do you think?

• Were you using the same iso/aperture @bkmcwd?

• @bkmcwd

"BTW, the results of your PAL66 V2.0 are brilliant! :-) Do I also touch a little 6GOP of homework? Since it is special, is HQ matrix combined?"

I would appreciate a 6GOP setting from you! Go for it :-)

Yes, PAL66 contains the HQ Matrix.

I am just about to release "PAL64" ...

• please do NOT use these settings

PAL64_Q18_24H.PNG
    746 x 412 - 39K
    PAL64_Q18_HBR.PNG
    746 x 412 - 40K
    PAL64_Q16_24H.PNG
    746 x 412 - 39K
    PAL64_Q16_HBR.PNG
    746 x 412 - 44K
    PAL64_Q18_SD30MBs.zip
    PAL64_Q16_SD95MBs.zip
    1023B
  • That looks fuckin great @towi. Well done.

• @Driftwood how do i set ptools so i get a VBR...?

• @mozes VBR: Keep the IQ and Q low (or stock 20) or AQ1 or 2 then mess with the matrices... try some of mine. This way the Q is applied to what detail requires it.

The opposite to the above is to frame limit more so that all i p or b frames maximise (like a music plugin maximiser limiter compressor - ish) to max out the frames according to a fairly high bitrate. This opposite is like a cbr style codec (its not true cbr) but high bitrate is king when it comes to 'keeping' as much detail as possible. Quant matrices help if designed correctly to maximise the best use of the allocated bitrate in high and low freq detail. A well designed matrix will compete with AQ very well (its more tuned) as in Sedna and Mysteron... and Towi's HQ matrix.

• @jhero

"Were you using the same iso/aperture?"

Yes. However, since the shot time is different and a focal point is also different, comparison for which @amateur asks cannot be performed strictly.

Since the same focal point is generally shot with 24p and 30p which were stuck upwards at the same time, of course, comparison is possible. :-)

• @towi

Your results are amazing!!! :-)

"I would appreciate a 6GOP setting from you! Go for it :-)"

I will try with HQ matrix!

• @amateur

IMO, if it is only comparison of these samples, only as for a few, GOLGOP3-13_V4.12 looks better for me.

• @driftwood @bkmcwd

thanks guys!

I think one of the benefits of a 6GOP setting should be spanning (in 24p & HBR mode on 30MB/s cards). My PAL64 looks really good - but it doesn't look better than for instance GOP3ZILLA. And it utilizes almost the same bitrates. So in its present form PAL64 actually does not provide a distinctive feature. Maybe we should go much lower with the bitrates (32M-36M for HBR & / ~50M for 24H) to achieve spanning...?

• hi, heres a screenshot from test, golgop3-13 v4.12... w sedna b and mysterion table (not sure if this helps, but it seems to?!) 20mm, 160, 5.0, 40

vlcsnap-2012-04-02-17h46m15s105.png
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
  • @flashcus Looks F*****g good!!

• @towi

First of all, I make, without taking into consideration about spanning. It is because the conditions for spanning in cards other than SDXC of SanDisk are not well known as to why it is.

@flaschus

Looks very good! :-)

Would you upload the combined setting?

• @bkmcwd

i am enjoying the golgop3-13 4.12! very nice.. here is the set requested:

setc.ini
  • @towi I'm not good at making settings but I'm quite sure that 32-36mb/s for HBR is the bit-rate to get spanning with GOP 12 settings.

Maybe with your GOP 6 setting you may achieve spanning with a HBR bit-rate as high as 44-48mb/s.

• @flaschus

Thanks! Ill try later. :-)

• @rikyxxx

thanks for the suggestion - makes sense!

Maybe everything by 3 ...

22Mx3 = 66M

16Mx3 = 48M

12Mx3 = 36M

I'll give it a try ...

• @towi Sounds like chris's original 66M patch. I reckon it would be a job for a GOP 12 though really, I think you're going to lose a fair bit of frame size running at those rates in GOP 6. Mind you the matrix could/should mitigate that.

• @towi Tested your PAL 64 settings After 18 Minutes I stopped recording due to the lack of battery power. This worked on my SanDisk Extreme Pro 32 GB 45MB/s. Seems to work fine. Thank you.

• @driftwood thx, i go to work with your suggestions..