Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
GH2 Cake v2.3: reliability and spanning in 720p, HBR, 24p, and VMM at 2-2.5x stock bit rates
  • 609 Replies sorted by
  • Thanks for your efforts balazer.

• I would think so, but we'll have to wait and see.

• @balazer interesting approach , would this be possible even for fw 1.1 when hacked ?!

• Thank you, @duartix. I want to quote what you said in the other thread about Cake:

Cake test 24p @ISO3200 & Panasonic 14-42mm. Very reactive bitrate. :) Amazing quality and detail. Great grainy shadows. No blocks. Absolutely no noticeable difference between I/P frames in my eyes.

I'm looking forward to having more people try these settings out and let me know how they're working.

• I mean for scenes that are not on a tripod or at ISOs higher than 250, Cake beats Flow Motion's 24L (50 Mbps) setting for quality.

Flow Motion 24H (100 Mbps) of course always wins for quality. The bit rate is always higher (more than double, on average) and it doesn't span.

• @balazer when you say "cake beats it for everything else" you mean FlowMotion L50 and not 24H setting of FlowMotion, yes?

• Ah, I've tasted this Cake before! :) And since it's a whole different approach (VBR) I also think it deserves it's own thread.

Thanks again!

• Quality is subjective. A proper constant quality encoder will have models of human perception of quality, and try multiple quantization parameters on each macroblock until it finds the one that yields the quality it is targeting.

The GH2 has nothing so complicated in its encoder, but you can get very close to constant quality by using a constant quantization parameter or auto quantizer setting, while having no frame limit or bit rate limit to constrain the frame sizes and raise the QP. In my testing, I've found that this approach yields nearly identical quality in I-frames and P-frames, with no need to change quantizer table assignments. With stock quantizer table assignments, B-frames are way too small and don't match the quality of the other frames, even when they have the same QP. My observation of the B-frames in Flow Motion is that they don't match the quality of the I-frames as closely as P-frames do even with stock quantizer table assignments. Perhaps there is additional work that can be done to get B-frames to match more closely, but personally I don't see a lot of value in trying to include B-frames, since P-frames are not that much less efficient.

Generally you don't want to have truly unconstrained bit rates and constant quality: we have hardware limitations, after all. In Cake, I keep the GOP size small enough to span by limiting the frame sizes to 3.33 megabits, which if all the frames are that size, is 80 Mbps in 24-fps mode. Without that limit, the bit rate for QP22 can go as high as 100 Mbps when you shoot at ISO 12800. Using a frame limit is not ideal, since you will in some cases be limiting the sizes of I-frames even when you are not at 80 Mbps, which will decrease their quality relative to the P-frames. For a frame limit of 3.33 megabits and QP of 22, the limit is really only apparent on the I-frames for high detail, low noise, low motion scenes (ISOs 250 and below on a tripod). Once you add a bit of motion or noise, the I-frames fall below 3.33 megabits. In high noise, the frame limit makes the I-frames have lower quality than the P-frames, but you'll hardly notice such a small difference among all that noise.

Ideally we could use the GH2 encoder's bit rate limiter to keep the GOP sizes small enough to span, instead of using frame limits. That would open up the possibility of constant quality encoder settings at longer GOPs, like 6 or 9. GOP6 would be an awesome sweet spot for quality and efficiency. I'm working now on how to get the bit rate limiter to work correctly at GOPs shorter than the defaults.

Shorter GOPs span at higher bit rates. GOP12 spans at 32 Mbps; GOP6 at 60 Mbps; GOP3 at 80 Mbps; GOP1 at 88 Mbps or perhaps higher. My theory is that the camera is writing a GOP at a time to the memory card, and that the write operation needs to complete in less than some length of time for spanning to succeed.

And of course we know that with the faster SanDisk Extreme Pro 95 MB/s 64 GB SDXC card, GOP1 spans at 146 Mbps. But I'm not keen on using that card, because, besides being very expensive, SDXC cards suffer from the occasional "file limit exceeded" error. If you need long recording times, imagine what happens when you encounter that error: to continue recording to the same card, you need to reformat it. That's a frightening scenario, avoidable by having multiple cards on hand (expensive), or by offloading the data before reformatting (slow). And yes, there is the technique of recording a short clip after spanning and before turning the camera off to avoid the error, but I don't trust myself to always adhere to that protocol to avoid a disaster.

• Cake v2.3, for the GH2 v1.1 firmware image and PTool 3.64d or later

• Designed for reliability and spanning in 720p, HBR, 24p, and Variable Movie Mode (NTSC and PAL)

• 2 - 2.5 times stock bit rates

• Support for all lenses, high ISOs, and ETC mode

• SanDisk Extreme cards recommended, Class 10

For higher quality in HBR 30p and 25p modes, see http://personal-view.com/talks/discussion/2123/gh2-cake-topic/p23#Item_568 .

Cake was designed with stability and spanning in 720p, HBR, 24p, and VMM as its highest priorities. It is intended for event coverage, where long recording times and reliability are required. For each mode I've set the bit rate limit with a wide margin of safety below the highest bit rate that is stable and spanning, to allow for variability in the rate control. This gives high confidence that the settings will span each time when you use a recommended memory card. Cake has spanned 100% reliably in my experience, and I don't recall anyone reporting a spanning failure.

The choice of memory card will affect reliability. I designed the settings using SanDisk Extreme cards. Some people have reported success with other Class 10 cards. I recommend the SanDisk Extreme Pro 32-GB 95 MB/s card. (not 64 GB, because of the "file number limit exceeded" problem) I strongly recommend that you periodically perform several full-overwrite formattings in your PC using the SD Card Association Formatter utility, followed by a formatting in the camera, to put your card in the best possible condition.

There are no restrictions on which lenses or camera settings you can use: Lumix lenses, high ISOs, and ETC mode are fine.

With these settings I strive for identical frame-to-frame quality, and the highest possible image quality within the reliability and spanning constraints, especially for content of moderate-to-high detail and motion. The encoder uses adaptive quantization rate control for a nearly constant bit rate at the bit rate limit, and constant quantization / variable bit rate encoding when not constrained by the bit rate limit.

Cake is optimized for 24H, HBR, and SH modes. 24L and H modes are set approximately 15-20 Mbps lower.

Cake release history:

• 1.0: initial release; for v1.0e firmware; rate control using frame size limits

• 1.1: rate control using fallback mode

• 1.2: for v1.1 firmware; adds support for all AVCHD modes

• 2.0: rate control using adaptive quantization; improved quality in HBR

• 2.1: adds spanning in 720p

• 2.2: improved rate control in 24L

• 2.3: improved rate control in 24H

Balazer GH2 'Cake' v1.0 - seth.zip
    842B
    Balazer GH2 'Cake' v1.1 - setf.zip
    944B
    GH2 Cake v1.2 - setg.zip
    GH2 Cake PAL v1.0 - seti.zip