Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Olympus EM-5 topic
  • 386 Replies sorted by
  • @Alex That's beautiful cloud, sir!

BTW if the camera gives less rolling shutter and less jellos, and more DR, why not use it with a rig? Or you want Gh3 instead?

• @Alex

Sensor based stablization and video are not good company (as you need to cool sensor :-) )

• stills from this camera compare to the top of the line APS-H cameras (Nikon D7000 or even full frame cameras). Fuck tiny buttons - it really hurts to have to let this camera go. But it hurts even more that Olympus fucked up another video opportunity.

• @Alex

May be guys from BM use this sensor and not Fairchild? :-)

• über flat

P4250066_25.04.2012 21.53.10.png
    1920 x 1296 - 2M
    P4240036_25.04.2012 21.57.52.png
    1920 x 1296 - 1M
  • HACK MEEEE!!!

P4250064_25.04.2012 21.47.19.png
    1920 x 1296 - 3M
  • before I have to return my overpriced preorder E-M5 to Amazon, I still want to see how good DR and highlight roll off is rendered by this camera. Today I shuttled through all the settings and picture profiles to find a flat setup. This is where the E-M5 shines! There are many options to fine tune the image:

1. shaping an extreme curve that brightens the shadows and darkens the highlights
    2. selecting a picture mode -> "Custom"
    3. Setting up the custom mode by choosing base color mode -> "Muted"
    4. Contrast, Sharpness, Saturation all set to -2
    5. next there is the option "Gradation" where you can select auto, normal, high key and low key. I set this to "normal" before having tested the effect.
    6. Noise reduction is a global setting and I turned it off.

now the image can really be considered to be FLAT!!

Photo 25.04.12 21 21 59.jpg
    1707 x 1604 - 531K
    P4250063_25.04.2012 21.05.19.png
    1920 x 1296 - 2M
  • Other than the misinformation about IBIS, E-M5 has vastly improved rolling shutter and jello effects. That's a good progress, but Olympus gotta correct the misinformation.

• What a sophisticatedly crippled piece of a hardware! I guess there was a dedicated team involved who's task was specifically prevent it from functioning normally. I can't explain this case without evil conspiracy plan ;)

• On GH2, I click on LCD or press the thumb button to zoom in when using MF lens.

• next bummer: I can't figure out how to activate the focus assistant for manual lenses. I enabled this function in the AF/MF menu: MF ASSIST -> on. Now, if I use any AF lens it dose this auto zoom in when I switch to manual focus. On the GH2 you can assign this feature to the button you like. On the e-m5 it seems not to be assignable. So, no focus assistant with manual lenses?!

• Official Olympus page says E-M5 uses “Image sensor shift type for movie & still, 5-axis image stabilization”. So it’s just half true.

I watched a few youtube clips from E-M5. Definitely there were less rolling shutter and jello effects, but there seemed pulses of zooming in/out effects. At first I thought it must have been lens breathing. Now it makes sense. Software IS. No difference from E-P3. Seriously why didn’t name it E-P5 instead of E-M5?

@Alex Hope you feel better about finding about it sooner rather than later.

• @Alex

This is extremely bad news.
    Pentax cameras use stabilizer quite normally in video.

• Boooo! That's more than a bummer. Cheers for clarifying that, Alex. However, the software stabilization seems to be impressively effective as we may see from the sample videos.

• ok, here are the facts:

• IBIS is working for all types of lenses but only in photo mode. I had to reset all the setting and than the IBIS came back to life.
    • the video mode is using software IS but only for lenses that can be identified by the camera.

• no 5-achsis IBIS in video mode

• no IS at all for manual lenses in video mode
  • Bummer. Olympus gotta fix the issue.

What about 17.5mm test? Did it stabilize the footage?

• Yes, you can Set the focal length but it doesn't help. No IS with adapted lenses so far ...

• @joesiv If that's true, that's great. Where exactly in the menu to set the focal length? Thanks.

• Man this 5-axis IS is the shit.

• @stonebat the EM-5 indeed uses sensor IS for video, which is a first for an a Olympus m43 body.

@Alex, did you set the focal length manually for the non-native lens'?

• BTW I heard E-M5 gives 13 stops dynamic range on RAW photos. Amazing.

• When you have time, please try it in a very quiet room. Otherwise the noise from sensor shift can't be heard when you use 20.7mm for taking photo. Thanks for the test.

• yes, I'll soon give the 17.5mm a try when I'm back from work ...

• even if I use a m43 lens where I can clearly see the IS kicking in, there is no noise. No matter if I'm in video or photo mode. The noise only occurred when I pressed the menu button ...

It could be that the IS in video mode is an old software only approach. That would be kind of a let down!

• Let me ask you one more favor. Try your 17.5mm 0.95. See if video frames get stabilized. If yes, it's 100% software based.